Bell contract 2018

3rivers

is Marshawn Lynch the only elite back to play on a SB winning team this decade? steelers might not find another back on bells level but they could fine 2-3 backs that can make up for his production..just look at the two teams in last yrs superbowl..really hope we see more of conner this yr(and samuels) as they could be the future of the run game starting in 2019

3 hours ago, August4th said:

is Marshawn Lynch the only elite back to play on a SB winning team this decade? steelers might not find another back on bells level but they could fine 2-3 backs that can make up for his production..just look at the two teams in last yrs superbowl..really hope we see more of conner this yr(and samuels) as they could be the future of the run game starting in 2019

Agreed.

Regardless of Bell;'s talent....there is no denying that $17m per year is better spent elsewhere.

Only way Id even remotely considering paying Bell is if I just drafted a young QB early and he was the projected starter and I wasnt likely to have to pay that QB for 4 or 5 years.

For instance, if Bell had hit FA this year, the Jets (even though Bell said he didnt want to play for them) would be an ideal team to pay for his services.....tons of cap room, not much at RB and a young QB who could really use a back like Bell.

Hell, even if Ben had retired, Id consider it....but since we have Ben, a solid OLine and good weapons at WR, that money is better spent elsewhere.....which is why we shouldve tried to trade him before the draft.....although the Steelers FO wouldve found a way to botch that too.  

i thin k its pretty comical that some are complaining that we didnt pay bell enough or that bell is worth what he is asking.

if bell was on any other team, we(steelers fans) would be laughing at the team that paid a player twice what the next highest player at his position is getting.

we would say they blew their whole cap on one guy. a guy with drug issues, injuries, huge workload and bad attitude.

bell does not have the character to take this team tio the next level. he is a selfish, me first guy.

4 hours ago, muncher said:

i thin k its pretty comical that some are complaining that we didnt pay bell enough or that bell is worth what he is asking.

if bell was on any other team, we(steelers fans) would be laughing at the team that paid a player twice what the next highest player at his position is getting.

we would say they blew their whole cap on one guy. a guy with drug issues, injuries, huge workload and bad attitude.

bell does not have the character to take this team tio the next level. he is a selfish, me first guy.

bell has suffered a few injuries and knows time is running out, so I can't blame him for wanting what his agent and him think he should sign for. As fans, we don't care for all this and see it differently. I want the drama to be over with and for him to  show up in shape this time and have a good season. If he shows up slow, let the other RB's have a chance and they will do well  mark it down.  I think samuels was a good pick now that I see how this bell saga is going.  They might have got a poor mans bell of all things, and in RD5 if you can imagine that. 

9 hours ago, muncher said:

While I haven't read every post, I haven't seen anyone really complaining about not paying what he was asking. Unless by "some" you meant others outside of here. I think most everybody here agrees they can't spend that much on him. 

5 hours ago, Chieferific said:

While I haven't read every post, I haven't seen anyone really complaining about not paying what he was asking. Unless by "some" you meant others outside of here. I think most everybody here agrees they can't spend that much on him. 

I agree we can't spend that on him , even if we had the cap space this season.    As it has been said before here, RB isn't valued quite as much as it once was and this shows up with the bell drama.  Go one step further and suppose  our other RB's are productive, then it makes more sense to spend on the D which we all know will need help.  $17M could land a proven Vet, pay for a RD1 pick and help sign existing proven players already on the team.  I was actually looking forward to schefter's report  being valid and that bell would possibly sit out 8 weeks, but I was disappointed to learn bell will suit up week one.   Tomlin should let bell sit out several weeks anyways until he is game ready because last year he was clearly slow and not ready the first few weeks. 

If I'm the Pittsburgh Steelers, I'm making Conner my feature back this season and using Le'Veon Bell sparingly.  His comments about this being his "best season to date' is because he is trying to advertise himself  to other teams for a big contract.  It's all about him, it always has been.  Let's be real, ever since the beginning Bell has always been about himself.  We've enjoyed it because he is an amazing player and got us results but now that it's about a pay day, he is more about himself than he ever has been.  Good Riddance if he isn't willing to bring his asking price closer to $12M/yr.  That I could live with but 15+, no thanks, he isn't a Quarterback or an elite pass rusher.  I'm good with taking a first, second, or 3rd round RB next season.  Bell might have similar success somewhere else but I seriously doubt it.  

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

If I'm the Pittsburgh Steelers, I'm making Conner my feature back this season and using Le'Veon Bell sparingly.  His comments about this being his "best season to date' is because he is trying to advertise himself  to other teams for a big contract.  It's all about him, it always has been.  Let's be real, ever since the beginning Bell has always been about himself.  We've enjoyed it because he is an amazing player and got us results but now that it's about a pay day, he is more about himself than he ever has been.  Good Riddance if he isn't willing to bring his asking price closer to $12M/yr.  That I could live with but 15+, no thanks, he isn't a Quarterback or an elite pass rusher.  I'm good with taking a first, second, or 3rd round RB next season.  Bell might have similar success somewhere else but I seriously doubt it.  

I'm probably in the minority but if they're relying on Connor to carry the load it's not gonna be pretty. They will need to be a Passing Offense instead of a Balanced one. He's a better story then a player imo. I do agree they shouldn't pay his demands but what is the purpose of using Bell sparingly? Is it out of spite hoping his lack of playing time will reduce his demand/money? If so, that's petty. Use him as much as it takes to win a Super Bowl. Imo anyways. 

11 hours ago, Chieferific said:

agreed.

im reading these crazy article about how the steelers screwed up by not offering more and then people responding saying 'pay the man'.......

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Good Riddance if he isn't willing to bring his asking price closer to $12M/yr.  That I could live with but 15+, no thanks

Why do you think Sammy Watkins is $4M more valuable than Bell?

1 hour ago, muncher said:

i would like to see one of two things happen now

1) bell blows out his knee ,on his own time.

2) the steelers pull the tag just before bell decides to show up and sign it.

can #2 be possible? It doesn't appear to be fair but I don't know the rules.  I don't wish harm on people, but if bell sits out 8 weeks, I want/expect connor and samuels to be very productive out there in the run and pass (samuels) .  This better be bells last season, time to move on and spend the $ on D. 

1 hour ago, muncher said:

i would like to see one of two things happen now

1) bell blows out his knee ,on his own time.

2) the steelers pull the tag just before bell decides to show up and sign it.

Why would you wish injury on someone? 

IT'S. A. GAME.

The amount of people who take football and the Steelers so seriously is starting to really weigh on me. There are real life problems facing this country and this planet. Sports are supposed to be a fun distraction. Why does it have to be so life and death? Whether the Steelers win or lose, the world keeps spinning. In the grand scheme of everything this is all so insignificant. 

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Why would you wish injury on someone? 

IT'S. A. GAME.

The amount of people who take football and the Steelers so seriously is starting to really weigh on me. There are real life problems facing this country and this planet. Sports are supposed to be a fun distraction. Why does it have to be so life and death? Whether the Steelers win or lose, the world keeps spinning. In the grand scheme of everything this is all so insignificant. 

i thought IT WAS A BUSINESS

im a fan of the pittsburgh steelers, not the leveon bells

any player that blatantly and purposely hurts the chances off my team to be the best they could be, doesnt bode well with me

i think the team would be more successful without bell, using his $14.5 on other positions

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

can #2 be possible? It doesn't appear to be fair but I don't know the rules.  I don't wish harm on people, but if bell sits out 8 weeks, I want/expect connor and samuels to be very productive out there in the run and pass (samuels) .  This better be bells last season, time to move on and spend the $ on D. 

i believe it can be pulled at any time before he signs it.

even if the $14.5 cant be used this year, some/all(i believe) would be added to next years cap

Archived