Bell contract 2018

3rivers

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

If the rumor of the $/year is true then yes he SHOULD sign.  i predict if he does not sign he will get far less in FA

is this actually that much different? I thought he would get a decent amount in UFA  but others here have brought up the lack of need for RB since most teams have one already. What do you think he gets in UFA if he hits the market next year? 

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

I predict if he does not sign he will get far less in FA

Just wondering, but what makes you feel so strongly here? Last page you said you think he won't find $10M somewhere. 

I find that hard to believe. Bunch of teams with gaps at RB/playmaker to which he instantly makes offenses better -- and they have a ton of cap space. No way McKinnon gets $7.5M a year and people think that Bell is the same age and only $2M better...

If he is healthy - Jets, Colts, Seahawks, Raiders, Packers, and Lions are all teams with cap space who need a player like him (potentially) in 2019. 

I think Bell easily gets more money elsewhere, basically because its an open market and people have needs and more money than us. 

If that Rumor is accurate, I would never accept that If I was Bell. I get paid $14.5M this year, not signing that contract is only a $6M gamble. 

Signing the long term deal is for comfort of future earnings in case of injury in a 1 year contract under the franchise tag. Would he really be willing to give up hitting FA for $6M extra guaranteed? On a 4 year deal, I would want at least half guaranteed. 

I should add to my last comment on the Rumor numbers....if that Rumor is numbers in ADDITION to the Franchise year - so technically a 4 year extension after this year - I would do that. Over the 5 years I get 2.5 years of guarantee/comfort. I dont think that protection is worth the risk of getting to FA in 19. 

24 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Just wondering, but what makes you feel so strongly here? Last page you said you think he won't find $10M somewhere. 

I find that hard to believe. Bunch of teams with gaps at RB/playmaker to which he instantly makes offenses better -- and they have a ton of cap space. No way McKinnon gets $7.5M a year and people think that Bell is the same age and only $2M better...

If he is healthy - Jets, Colts, Seahawks, Raiders, Packers, and Lions are all teams with cap space who need a player like him (potentially) in 2019. 

I think Bell easily gets more money elsewhere, basically because its an open market and people have needs and more money than us. 

Why would any team pay out more than 15M per year for a RB on the down side of his career when the next best RB gets 8M per year.  Bell is not a game breaker.  He does not tear off chunks of yards anymore.  Ask yourself if he is the missing playoff link for any of those teams. All teams except the Jets who are paying a for Franchise QB.  Colts have one of the worst rosters in the NFL.  Bell will not help them make the playoffs. Seattle just drafted Penny in the 1st round. Detroit drafted Kerryon Johnson. Raiders need to pay Mack.  GB is going to pay Rodgers.

His best bet is NYJ because they are not paying a franchise QB.  2nd best is Oakland if they think he will take them over the top.  He has turned down 13.5M per year and may be turning down more.  I do not think he is going to make that much

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Why would any team pay out more than 15M per year for a RB on the down side of his career when the next best RB gets 8M per year.  Bell is not a game breaker.  He does not tear off chunks of yards anymore.  Ask yourself if he is the missing playoff link for any of those teams. All teams except the Jets who are paying a for Franchise QB.  Colts have one of the worst rosters in the NFL.  Bell will not help them make the playoffs. Seattle just drafted Penny in the 1st round. Detroit drafted Kerryon Johnson. Raiders need to pay Mack.  GB is going to pay Rodgers.

His best bet is NYJ because they are not paying a franchise QB.  2nd best is Oakland if they think he will take them over the top.  He has turned down 13.5M per year and may be turning down more.  I do not think he is going to make that much

You pushed the goal post here, bumping to more than $15M. I’ll agree to an extent there, but the idea that he wouldn’t get $10/year is crazy to me. 

And I do think he makes all those teams better. He does t need to be a game breaker and not being a game breaker is actually the reason I would think he succeeds in terms of usefulness in the NFL longer than most. Vision, pass blocking, and receiving abilities will not depreciate over time as much and burst and speed - which is what makes his game. 

Again, McKinnon got $7.5/year and is one month younger. Bell is much better than McKinnon, and on the open market will be paid like it. 

A disappointing turn of events but makes sense.  Getting a deal done didn't make any sense for either team.  Bell can most certainly get more out on the open market and the steelers, who are cap strapped, offered way above RB market value to get a deal done.  Both sides tried and it didn't work out.  

I just hope they use the cap money they now have to improve the team through FA but I have my doubts they will

10 minutes ago, Steelers22 said:

A disappointing turn of events but makes sense.  Getting a deal done didn't make any sense for either team.  Bell can most certainly get more out on the open market and the steelers, who are cap strapped, offered way above RB market value to get a deal done.  Both sides tried and it didn't work out.  

I just hope they use the cap money they now have to improve the team through FA but I have my doubts they will

bell might not get more on the open market, time will tell. I don't know the details of what they offered, but what if he has a subpar season and gets a deal next year that was less than what the steelers offered. It could be splitting hairs so to speak, and in such an event it makes one question how much he wanted to retire here.  I hope he sits out 8 weeks and connor/samuels contribute to a good rushing attack.  No need for the drama, time to move on. 

Now if I was to ask them to fix the D , that would be asking too much. That too might wait until about 8 weeks after they finally give up on dupree.

Archived