Bell contract 2018

3rivers

4 hours ago, Chieferific said:

I saw this too but it doesn't sound right. If he doesn't show up and therefore didn't sign his 2nd Franchise tag then NEXT year's tag would be his 2nd tag. 

I'm pretty sure this IS the way it is.  Wouldn't it be ironic if this goes to arbitration or w/e and the Steelers win this battle only to say they don't want to tag him, lol.

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

I'm pretty sure this IS the way it is.  Wouldn't it be ironic if this goes to arbitration or w/e and the Steelers win this battle only to say they don't want to tag him, lol.

That’s the thing, Steelers don’t want it to go to arbitration because it would kill the cap. NFL doesn’t want it to go to arbitration because it likely means Bell sits out longer. NFLPA doesn’t want it to go to arbitration because they know that something will come out that teams can actually tag players more than they can now. 

53 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

is there a chance the league and whoever else responsible (NFLPA) could be changing the rule to get this over with? I believe I got my info from nfl.com, but next time I will post the link. How there is all this uncerttanty adds to comical this has turned

34 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Youre right. Tbh, idc what the verdict is, he isnt going to be a Steeler next year. Something tells me he is going to be a Patriot.

good, then he can help them never win anything too:D

BB telling bell how it is,  going to be fun

SOMETHING JUST OCCURRED TO ME!!!

In the event that a player who is designated and tendered as a Franchise Player has not signed a Player Contract with a Club by the Tuesday following the tenth week of the regular season, at 4:00pm New York time, the player shall be prohibited from playing football in the NFL for the remainder of that League Year... 

This is LITERALLY what the CBA says.

Keep an eye on November 14, 2018.  I would NOT be shocked if on that date, if Bell has not signed the Franchise Tag, the Pittsburgh Steelers rescind the tag.  He would NOT technically be a free agent because of that by-law, am I right?

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

SOMETHING JUST OCCURRED TO ME!!!

This is LITERALLY what the CBA says.

Keep an eye on November 14, 2018.  I would NOT be shocked if on that date, if Bell has not signed the Franchise Tag, the Pittsburgh Steelers rescind the tag.  He would NOT technically be a free agent because of that by-law.

I don't think he signs or plays this year. Next year he will be UFA and the mega deal he wants will be on its way.  I hope he goes to a team with a mediocre OL , thats all we can ask.

4 hours ago, wwhickok said:

this has been said 2 other times this season.  I hope they leave connor in at RB let bell be a WR or a reserve RB in case of injury.  Samuels looked ok with he elway helicopter TD. 

We are all tired of the bell saga, it should end on tuesday finally. I just hope if he returns it doesn't interfere with the team as they appear to be playing their best right now. 

I think his agent is banking on HIS interpretation of the CBA.  That comes from this article https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/leveon-bell-rumors-steelers-rb-agent-discovered-cba-loophole-allowing-him-not-to-play-in-2018/

Under the NEW CBA however, he might be able to skate into free agency. If he doesn't play, according to the CBA, the Steelers "shall have the right to designate [Bell] as a Franchise Player or a Transition Player" in 2019. Typically speaking in a franchise tag situation, there would be 120 percent bump in the price of the tender. EXCEPT, if Bell is "redesignated as a Franchise Player for the League Year following the League Year in which he does not play, the player may be designated only under Section 2(a)(i) above."

What does "Section 2(a)(i)" consist of? It's the "Required Tender for Franchise Players" and it references "Subsection (b)" of that portion of the CBA.

That "Subsection (b)" makes very clear that Bell will be given a salary of one of three things, whichever is greatest. 

Those three things are: 

• The "average of the five largest Prior Year Salaries for players at the position (within the categories set forth in Section 7(a) below) with the highest such average" 
  • The 120% of the average of the five largest Prior Year Salaries for players at the position (within the categories set forth in Section 7(a) below) at which the player participated in the most plays during the prior League Year 
  • The 144 percent of Bell's salary the year before

Bell's salary can't count as he did not get paid. I am sure they are thinking that 144% of the year before means 2017 but the franchise starts with the new NFL year ( March 1) and then the previous years salary for Bell is zero.
144% of 0 is zero so that option is out.

His only hope is 120 of the average of the top 5 in his position.

Todd Gurley Rams $7,228,306
LeSean McCoy Bills $8,950,000
Leonard Fournette Jaguars $6,170,655
Lamar Miller Texans $6,750,000
Ezekiel Elliott Cowboys $6,806,274
=======================
/ 5
============
x 1.20
=============

Should have listened to your Mom, Le'veon.

That being said, the Steelers will transition tag Bell so the can trade him.

Archived