Bell contract 2018

3rivers

Bucky is a tool and that is all that needs to be said about that.

As far as if we were to possibly tag bell again next year and the rumors of it being a brokered deal by the league I look at it this way. IF we just let Bell walk next year im not sure we get anything in terms of a comp pick even if he does land the deal he hopes to. We are looking to have a few extra dollars to spend in FA and im sure we well use up that cap space on most likely a lb or cb or both. Those contracts will offset the loss of Bell and negate any compensation. If we do proceed with a transition tag and trade scenario then we can get something of value for losing him. It may be the only way we get some from of compensation.

19 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

That's just it, with Bell, you have to have an offensive line capable of providing time.  People have claimed it's not the OL that has made Bell and to some degree I do agree with that, but with Conner, the initial hole is the only place where the offensive line is making or breaking him imo.  He is doing the rest himself (sometimes he gets blocks beyond the line by WR's or TE's)

Bell is about as dangerous as it gets in the open field but can't go the distance especially last season (heavy and slower).  And the team is blocking for Connor better IMO (even AB) and that's another reason the 8 or 9 man fronts aren't as good either. Connor is the RB for this team, good story aside,  this is about style of play going with the pieces in place.  Connor is the reason the RZ has suddenly become officially Elite. No tomlin, it isn't execution and it's only partially because the OC. Connor has made the difference here.

AB could finish with 18 TD's but it might be because of Connor, does Connor win Team MVP though?

2 hours ago, Livewire said:

That explains a lot. He wrote another garbage piece on NFL.com yesterday. I wonder how much money he is receiving from his agent to keep propping up Bell?

this will all play out eventually. If bell is heavy, he won't be a top 7 RB in the league and might not unless he has a good OL anyways.  The media have fallen for the hype and in time it could be proven that the steelers have a HOF QB, WR1, prowl type WR2 and according to Troy Aikman possibly the best OL.  The best way to really put an end to the bell saga is if we win it all and Connor gets stats beyond what bell ever did, such as 5ypc, and suppose MVP in the playoffs. The media has to see the actual replacement player do much better than bell to understand that perhaps the rest of the team deserves the credit as well.  Bucky is supporting bell, but if Connor helps the team to a SB and gets the stats, there is nothing the media can say to change that. Even they can't diminish the champs, and it's the best way to put an end to all of this bell saga and BS

more  from bucky: 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000988807/article/marcus-mariota-100-million-man-plus-leveon-bells-value

Marcus Mariota isn't worth anything close to $100M lol, not as inconsistent as he has been this season.  Yes he is very talented but man, is really much more effective right now than Bortles? Idk what the stats say, I haven't looked tbh. 

As for us not being capable of winning a title without Bell....Brooks should quit his job.

34 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Marcus Mariota isn't worth anything close to $100M lol, not as inconsistent as he has been this season.  Yes he is very talented but man, is really much more effective right now than Bortles? Idk what the stats say, I haven't looked tbh. 

As for us not being capable of winning a title without Bell....Brooks should quit his job.

quit his job? More like he should be fired and then also remember all the teams that won without bell. 

Maybe this year will be our year, we are playing good but I still have issues with CB2 and consistent edge pressure. Maybe this is the year the Offence is elite and they carry the team thanks to Connor and the OL helping take the next step.

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

quit his job? More like he should be fired and then also remember all the teams that won without bell. 

Maybe this year will be our year, we are playing good but I still have issues with CB2 and consistent edge pressure. Maybe this is the year the Offence is elite and they carry the team thanks to Connor and the OL helping take the next step.

If we win the SB he will be lobbying for reasons why Bell should get a ring even though he was never on contract with the team and why the win isnt as great as it would have been with what he will refer to as 'would be' SB MVP Bell on the field.

15 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

If we win the SB he will be lobbying for reasons why Bell should get a ring even though he was never on contract with the team and why the win isnt as great as it would have been with what he will refer to as 'would be' SB MVP Bell on the field.

I never got this far in my thinking, but a good point, and it would go well on the cover of a rap release wouldn't it :P Make a special ring for him saying thank for the cap space in 2019 :)

maybe the only way this team ever convinces the media that we don't need bell is to win 2 in a row and Connor has to have good stats. Then in the process, bell would have to fall into a slump or be on a losing team and have mediocre stats. In this process, the value of an OL is reinforced eventually when people like Sharp, Schlereth and others remind the viewer of the OL. 

If we win this year, it really shows the media is lacking in that they almost all said we couldn't win without him.  Winning this year will also show up the media, and wouldn't that be nice. Everytime a player is interviewed about the SB victory, they can turn around and ask the interveiwee why they thought we couldn't win without bell? Time to reverse the tide and put them in their place.  The OL has had a chip on their shoulder this season and have played well. Some even think they are the best OL,  so they have arrived. 

Anyone else here getting to the point where they don't want to listen or read what the media is saying about the team since it is so biased in bells favour too often?  

Ive been at that point for a while. Other teams' fans and members of the media wonder why Steelers fans appear so spiteful. Its because we are sick and tired of hearing about Bell. He chose this path, he gave up on his team and wanted out and thats fine. But god forbid stop acting like we are less because we are without him. We have been better this year than previous years in the running game without him.

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

Ive been at that point for a while. Other teams' fans and members of the media wonder why Steelers fans appear so spiteful. Its because we are sick and tired of hearing about Bell. He chose this path, he gave up on his team and wanted out and thats fine. But god forbid stop acting like we are less because we are without him. We have been better this year than previous years in the running game without him.

what bothers me most is that they rarely point out how much better we are without bell. To me, with our stats the way they are, the media should be complimenting the existing team about the majorly improved RZ and how Connors stats are much better than bells, no just comparable. This saga has to be about as biased as it can get, because if one was to look at stats alone, they would say that bell was overrated and the steelers didn't need him.  "I get it" he is a talented RB, but teams CAN and DO win without him, but the media would rather ignore that. 

The benefit to all this is that it woke up the OL and they are playing at a high level. If Troy Aikman says he isn't sure the Steelers OL isn't the best, that is saying something .  Former players can offer better observations than typical media outlets. 

More important moving forward is that Bell isn't playing and the media should just focus on why the steelers are doing well with the roster they have. Forget bell for this season now that he won't p[lay and give the credit to the players that deserve it.  The team has quietly  been playing at a high level, so maybe this drama is also a distraction for teams that we play. I was shocked at how bad the panthers were, but will others ahead ion the schedule  have a similar fate? 

Archived