Bell contract 2018

3rivers

On 7/9/2018 at 3:25 PM, KJtheWicked said:

This is where I’m at with it all. Bell is worth the money... for now. But is he worth the money over a 5 year contract? Will he still be elite in 3-4 years? It’s a big gamble. I hope they get something worked out, I’d like Bell to stay. This team is clearly better with him than without him. 

Over a 5 year contract, absolutely not.  The only way a contract should be over 3 years is if year 4 and year 5 have 0% guaranteed.  With his injury history, there's no way you can justify the likelihood of eating dead money for two years.

16 hours ago, August4th said:

looks like contract talks will go down to the wire...I'm kinda optimistic a deal will get done

this is his last chance. After this, ion he doesn't sign, I doubt they will offer him a deal next year. Then he has to go UFA, and he will get a deal there with another team.  How many teams will be looking to pay a RB  what he wants? In a thread a while back, it was noted that not many teams will since they already have a good RB , cap issues etc. 

If Bell leaves, I want to see how he his stats are with a OL that isn't as good as ours, say an average OL not a top 5 OL. Bell has top 5 OL, best WR and HOF QB right now, and his stats here won't be replicated on a another team.  

I used to think they should let bell walk, and spend on D, but this current regime appears to lack direction on D and are trying to figure out what to do with the pieces. They still think dupree is going to break out, so why let that braintrust waste capspace on players for D. Might as well try to sign bell because if they spent it on D it would be a waste. 

in the rumor mill for Monday

Deal will be officially signed and announced Monday morning per people in the building. Four year deal. AYV of $14.5M. $20M guaranteed which is more than WR Antonio Brown's guaranteed figure. 34% of his money is guaranteed which is also higher than Brown's figure at 28%.

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Is this any better then the one he turned down last year? Maybe it's the guaranteed amount that's different? If your figures are accurate, that seems reasonable and better then I expected. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/le-veon-bell-turned-five-year-deal-baffling-steelers-article-1.3423908

14 hours ago, jebrick said:

If true I’d hope the guaranteed $$$ is done after 2 years.

Still don’t like spending that much cap on a RB.

44 minutes ago, jebrick said:

If it is true it is a deal for the Steelers.  Consider that 14.5M is guaranteed this season the Steelers get off cheap and it becomes cheap to release him in 2-3 years.

If that’s the case only $5.5 mill guaranteed over last 3 years of deal correct?

what about schefter's rumour of Bell sitting out 8 games?  If he decided on that, could we trade him during that 8 week period?  This could wake the team up, use other RB's and be a good thing IMO. 

I'm expecting this thread to get some activity after 4pm, but will it be positive or negative? 

Earlier Monday, Adam Schefter of ESPN was a a guest on SiriusXM NFL Radio to talk about whether or not Bell and the Steelers would reach an agreement on a long-term contract extension by today’s deadline.

“I think there’s a chance, I do think there’s a chance,” Schefter said. “Of all the four franchise players right now that are out there today, Le’Veon’s got the best chance of getting one done. But I don’t know how great that chance is. I know that coming into today, the two sides still were far apart, that it was going to be challenging to be able to get a deal done, if they could do that. And again, I just go back to this. Last year on this day, right before the deadline, the two sides came very close at the last moment to getting a deal done and for whatever reason that deal fell apart at the last moment and they didn’t get it done.”

Schefter also added Monday that he thinks Bell would consider sitting out games in 2018 if he doesn’t get a new contract by today’s deadline.

“You know, everybody’s assuming that he’s just going to show up like last year before the regular season opener and I don’t think that’s a given at all,” Schefter said of Bell. “I think if they don’t get a deal done, the most important thing for Le’Veon Bell is to preserve his health and make sure he’s healthy heading into the 2019 free agent market. So, I think it’s possible that Le’Veon Bell skips the first half of the year. It’s possible. I’m not telling you he’ll do that, but I can tell you this, he’ll certainly think about it and make a decision about that.”

Archived