Hunter has agreed to an Extension (5 yr / $72M total / $40M G.)

CriminalMind

5 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Unfortunately, that was 3 years ago.  He's done little in the last 2 years.  

And if he returns to form and opens up pass rush opportunities for the DEs and adds an element to the interior pass rush that we've severely lacked, his value will exceed that of Barr or Waynes.  Richardson did t have the sacks in Seattle but he had a lot of hurries if I recall. That is valuable coming from the interior.

Diggs could get hurt, Barr could hit another slump, these two aren't sure things either. 

It's be stupid to let Diggs walk in favor of Barr. Stupid.

Losing Barr on this defense is a minor loss. You still have the leagues #1 safety, top-3 D-Line, 2-3 solid corners (pending Hughes), and you have your long term MLB. SS & the other OLB spot are the only real "weaknesses" on the defense and they're not real weaknesses.

Losing Diggs would be losing a top-10 WR (when healthy) and you're taking away a major weapon for the QB you just gave $84 million guaranteed to.

I've said it once and I'll say it again..... Diggs/Thielen/Wright/Treadwell sounds a HECK of a lot better than Thielen/Wright/Treadwell/Coley/???

I know it's very important to have a great defense but you can't ignore the offense in favor of the defense all the time. 

Ideally....re-sign both but Diggs should absolutely be the next one.

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

And if he returns to form and opens up pass rush opportunities for the DEs and adds an element to the interior pass rush that we've severely lacked, his value will exceed that of Barr or Waynes. I think Diggs still has to be seen as a priority.

Diggs could get hurt, Barr could hit another slump, these two aren't sure things either. 

But, that's the issue I have...it's only an "if" at this point.  People are putting the cart before the horse...he hasn't exactly shown to be stellar in a 4-3 defense yet.  Let's see him actually play first before we're talking about extending him.  

4 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

It's be stupid to let Diggs walk in favor of Barr. Stupid.

Losing Barr on this defense is a minor loss. You still have the leagues #1 safety, top-3 D-Line, 2-3 solid corners (pending Hughes), and you have your long term MLB.

Losing Diggs would be losing a top-10 WR (when healthy) and you're taking away a major weapon for the QB you just gave $84 million guaranteed to.

I've said it once and I'll say it again..... Diggs/Thielen/Wright/Treadwell sounds a HECK of a lot better than Thielen/Wright/Treadwell/Coley/???

They do have the option to franchise Diggs, if necessary.  No one's talking about letting one walk in favor of the other...it's not even necessary.    The only player I'm counting on walking is Waynes.  

The one problem people continue to ignore about Diggs is that he hasn't even played a full, healthy season yet. As much as I like him and think he's great, I haven't been able to count on him playing 16 games.  He hasn't done it yet, so why should I necessarily prioritize him over a guy who, despite his own health issues, still has 2 full seasons of 16 games?    

5 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

Didn't even know they were working on a new deal with him. Good stuff! 

I feel like that's been the recurring theme with extensions for this team over the last two years. There really wasn't a peep about Everson, Linval, Kendricks, and now Hunter right up until either the team announced it, or the reporters had said the deal was done, they all came out of the blue. That may bode well for a Diggs extension, since there's been nothing about him as far as I can recall

1 minute ago, disaacs said:

They do have the option to franchise Diggs.  

Oh certainly....but I think the franchise should be used on Barr and Diggs is locked up.

WR contracts are going to get absolutely insane (as if they haven't already) this next off-season especially with all the Julio stuff going on. Signing Diggs now will potentially save the team A LOT of money if they decide to lock him up.

Just now, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Oh certainly....but I think the franchise should be used on Barr and Diggs is locked up.

WR contracts are going to get absolutely insane (as if they haven't already) this next off-season especially with all the Julio stuff going on. Signing Diggs now will potentially save the team A LOT of money if they decide to lock him up.

But it does take 2 to tango...Diggs may want to wait himself.  Spielman certainly indicated that might be an issue with some of the players coming up, when he indicated that Kendricks was extended first because he was the one most willing to get it done now.  

I expect Barr to be next, a deal right before training camp. 

Personally, unless you plan on making him a top 3 paid receiver, there’s really no benefit for Diggs to sign a deal before the season starts. He’s got a lot to gain with a good year with Cousins and DeFilippo. 

Barr is already a 3x pro bowler, his value isn’t likely going to increase much, even with a good year.

4 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

$15.982 for WR.

$14.961 for LB

So about a million difference.

And that was before the contracts of Robinson, Watkins, etc. will likely affect that number in 2019. I can’t think of any other linebackers that signed for big money that will affect the 2019 tag numbers. 

6 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I expect Barr to be next, a deal right before training camp. 

Personally, unless you plan on making him a top 3 paid receiver, there’s really no benefit for Diggs to sign a deal before the season starts. He’s got a lot to gain with a good year with Cousins and DeFilippo. 

And at least, IMO, franchising Diggs, even though it costs a little more,  is a fairer deal to both parties than franchising Barr.  As far as I'm concerned, a very good deal for Barr is in the neighborhood of $11M-$12M per year (even though they may have to give him somewhere near his 5th yr option amount on average, which is okay, but pushing it).  Giving him nearly $15M under a franchise tag is too much of an overpay for my taste.  

1 minute ago, disaacs said:

And at least, IMO, franchising Diggs, even though it costs a little more,  is a fairer deal to both parties than franchising Barr.  As far as I'm concerned, a very good deal for Barr is in the neighborhood of $11M-$12M per year.  Giving him nearly $15M under a franchise tag is too much of an overpay for my taste.  

Exactly. Barr’s ceiling deal is ~$12M, in my opinion. He’s not the edge rusher that has caused linebacker contract to rise to high. 

Archived