Chris Thompson: “Not one person doesn’t like Jay Gruden”

turtle28

Redskins coach Jay Gruden finally has his team | Redskins Wire via @theredskinswire

https://redskinswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/27/redskins-coach-jay-gruden-finally-has-his-team/

“There isn’t a man, women or child that doesn’t like Jay Gruden,” Thompson said. “You can’t find, not one person, I assure you. As players at this level, we want someone who we can get along with. Sure, Coach will yell at you and get after you, but two minutes later he has forgotten that and is laughing with you. He doesn’t let things linger out. He really has a likable personality, even when he is getting on you. You know most of the time what he is getting on you about.”

Nobody hates Jay Gruden. Hell, I think he’s actually a pretty cool guy. He’s still a mediocre head coach. I suspect he and Allen both will be gone after this season with Kyle Smith becoming GM and O’Connell being promoted to head coach. They aren’t going to watch their new McVay walk away again. 

I recall Gruden speaking for the first time... definitely an inspirational, charismatic guy that has the uncanny ability to get guys to buy in.

His XOs have taken time to develop... and they still need to continue to develop.

Folks are quick to trash Gruden. But he inherited a dumpster fire and quickly had this team at/near .500. The roster has improved over the years. But it's certainly not where it needs to be. What he did with this walking wounded team last year is nothing short of amazing. A couple of dropped balls (Saints, Chiefs) and this team was near playoff contention.

21 hours ago, SeanTayorsaPIMP said:

Jay Gruden doesn't get nearly the credit he deserves for developing Kirk Cousins. I'm excited about him teaming up with Alex Smith. It's the first starting QB that he didn't inherit. 

But he's not the offensive coordinator or QB coach. As a gameday coach, he's well below average.

1 hour ago, Skinsin2013 said:

I recall Gruden speaking for the first time... definitely an inspirational, charismatic guy that has the uncanny ability to get guys to buy in.

His XOs have taken time to develop... and they still need to continue to develop.

Folks are quick to trash Gruden. But he inherited a dumpster fire and quickly had this team at/near .500. The roster has improved over the years. But it's certainly not where it needs to be. What he did with this walking wounded team last year is nothing short of amazing. A couple of dropped balls (Saints, Chiefs) and this team was near playoff contention.

This is a bit disingenuous. He did indeed inherit a bad team but he kept it that way until McCloughan was brought on board. The team really turned around once Scot got his hands on things and started falling back down to earth once fired. Going 1-5 in your division is not amazing and blowing a 15 point lead with 2 minutes left in a game certainly doesn’t inspire confidence. With better coaching this team most likely is better than 7-9. 

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

This is a bit disingenuous. He did indeed inherit a bad team but he kept it that way until McCloughan was brought on board. The team really turned around once Scot got his hands on things and started falling back down to earth once fired. Going 1-5 in your division is not amazing and blowing a 15 point lead with 2 minutes left in a game certainly doesn’t inspire confidence. With better coaching this team most likely is better than 7-9. 

Disingenuous to who? McCloughan?

And you couldn't underscore the impact of last year's injuries anymore. You disagree that a couple easily caught balls has us at 9-7?

Who is being disingenuous?

2 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Disingenuous to who? McCloughan?

And you couldn't underscore the impact of last year's injuries anymore. You disagree that a couple easily caught balls has us at 9-7?

Who is being disingenuous?

You said he did an amazing job and I disagreed. Amazing isn’t getting your butt handed to you by a 2-win team or blowing a big lead against a team you desperately needed to beat to stay in the hunt. And again, going 1-5 in your division should get you fired in most cases. I don’t think he’s a bad coach and I’m fine with him returning but I do feel this is a make or break year for him. 

And as far as “couple easily caught balls” that goes both ways. If doctson doesn’t make an amazing catch against Seattle, we lose. If Pierre Garçon doesn’t commit a stupid, unnecessary OPI when we played the 49ers we most likely lose that game too. Our record very easily could’ve been much worse. 

14 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

You said he did an amazing job and I disagreed. Amazing isn’t getting your butt handed to you by a 2-win team or blowing a big lead against a team you desperately needed to beat to stay in the hunt. And again, going 1-5 in your division should get you fired in most cases. I don’t think he’s a bad coach and I’m fine with him returning but I do feel this is a make or break year for him. 

And as far as “couple easily caught balls” that goes both ways. If doctson doesn’t make an amazing catch against Seattle, we lose. If Pierre Garçon doesn’t commit a stupid, unnecessary OPI when we played the 49ers we most likely lose that game too. Our record very easily could’ve been much worse. 

I think I'm stuck on your use of the word disingenuous... "not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does."

I was being the opposite of disingenuous toward Gruden.

Moving on from that, I think I'm looking at his body of work... the back of his football card... while you're pointing out specific examples. To be fair, I did that too by pointing out the drop balls. Both are fair points. But, overall, and including last year, I think he's done an admirable job. He's taken a sinking ship and has it afloat. It takes an above average (not great) coach to do that.

Archived