Chris Thompson: “Not one person doesn’t like Jay Gruden”

turtle28

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

I think Jay Gruden is a good offensive coach that needs to find a good mind to run the defense.  I don't believe we have that person on our coaching staff.

I like Olivadotti, Gray and Tomsula.. I think they are good coaches. Manusky's track record is run of the mill.. 

It remains to be seen what Manusky can do with a healthy D. The first month of the season last year was promising esp the Raiders and Rams games. Then everyone and their mama got hurt. I’ve said it for years - yes coaching matters - but you can’t win w/o talent. It’s impossible!

Honestly I get Grudens record. And you can say he did nothing before Scot but he had no first round pick until Scot!!! Gruden walked into a wasteland with a lot of things that hindered the ability of this team to improve the talent and they still competed with what I’d call one of the worse not young bright rosters in the whole league. Yes he has things I’ve criticized him for but ultimately this team plays hard and honestly this is the first year I’ve felt with all the extra stuff in years past we have a legit chance to be a competent and competitive team.

he may not be the most exciting name but I’m happy we have him because I think this is the first year we will see what this guy is about. I think we are going to improve a lot this year as a team. He took a dumpster fire roster that was neglecting draft picks and he has kept the same direction with the youth every year. Earn your play let the i cumbent start if the youth doesn’t blow them away in the offseason but not be afraid to put the youth on the field. I’m excited because I do believe he wants to run!! This will be the first year we have a guy worth running!! Defense has good position coaches I’m excited. While my excitement is cautious I’m excited because I do believe this team baring injury is a lot better then it’s been since Gibbs left. And actually it’s better then it was then because we have youth that has been in this system I think this is the beginning of this team clicking!!

Oh Brothers, Please don’t drink that Kool Aid!

What makes a great coach? Is it being a nice guy? Pleazzzze

Bill Walsh on what makes a great football coach- “The culture precedes positive results. It doesn't get tacked on as an afterthought on your way to the victory stand. Champions behave like champions before they're champions: They have a winning standard of performance before they are winners."

Vince Lombardi- “Leaders are made, they are not born. They are made by hard effort, which is the price which all of us must pay to achieve any goal that is worthwhile. Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Joe Jackson Gibbs-“a winning effort begins with preparation."

Gruden has not shown any ability to prepare his team, especially to start the season, or during games. His in game adjustments are the worst besides Buddy Ryan’s. He has instilled a likable “Camp Gruden” grabsss  culture not a championship culture Walsh references  and I don’t think anybody would ever consider Gruden a coach with high standards and having and demanding an exceptional work  ethic Lombardi speaks about. maxresdefault.jpg

source: Leadership lessons that helped 5 coaches win 17 Super Bowls, Jared A. Brock, 

I agree, Gruden seems like a nice guy-, great coaches can be nice guys, but they have to have the other more important qualities, values and standards highlighted above. My bartender and the lady at Dunkin Donuts are “nice guys” but I don’t want them coaching my team.

Of course no discussion on Nice Guys and Winning is complete without Leo Durocher -for the millennials- his teams won three pennants and a World Series, use your google machine

T]he Giants, led by Mel Ott, began to come out of their dugouts...I called off his players’ names as they came marching up the steps behind him, “Walker, Cooper, Mize, Marshall, Kerr, Gordon, Thompson. Take a look at them. All nice guys. They’ll finish last. Nice guys. Finish last...Give me some scratching, diving hungry ballplayers who came to kill you...That’s the kind of guy I want playing for me.” Source: Nice Guys Finish Last by Leo Durocher 

4 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

Oh Brothers, Please don’t drink that Kool Aid!

What makes a great coach? Is it being a nice guy? Pleazzzze

Bill Walsh on what makes a great football coach- “The culture precedes positive results. It doesn't get tacked on as an afterthought on your way to the victory stand. Champions behave like champions before they're champions: They have a winning standard of performance before they are winners."

Vince Lombardi- “Leaders are made, they are not born. They are made by hard effort, which is the price which all of us must pay to achieve any goal that is worthwhile. Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Joe Jackson Gibbs-“a winning effort begins with preparation."

Gruden has not shown any ability to prepare his team, especially to start the season, or during games. His in game adjustments are the worst besides Buddy Ryan’s. He has instilled a likable “Camp Gruden” grabsss  culture not a championship culture Walsh references  and I don’t think anybody would ever consider Gruden a coach with high standards and having and demanding an exceptional work  ethic Lombardi speaks about. maxresdefault.jpg

source: Leadership lessons that helped 5 coaches win 17 Super Bowls, Jared A. Brock, 

I agree, Gruden seems like a nice guy-, great coaches can be nice guys, but they have to have the other more important qualities, values and standards highlighted above. My bartender and the lady at Dunkin Donuts are “nice guys” but I don’t want them coaching my team.

Of course no discussion on Nice Guys and Winning is complete without Leo Durocher -for the millennials- his teams won three pennants and a World Series, use your google machine

T]he Giants, led by Mel Ott, began to come out of their dugouts...I called off his players’ names as they came marching up the steps behind him, “Walker, Cooper, Mize, Marshall, Kerr, Gordon, Thompson. Take a look at them. All nice guys. They’ll finish last. Nice guys. Finish last...Give me some scratching, diving hungry ballplayers who came to kill you...That’s the kind of guy I want playing for me.” Source: Nice Guys Finish Last by Leo Durocher 

You might want to read what Thompson said again. Thompson said he’s tough on the guys when they don’t do the right things but he has a way of later coming back and giving them confidence after ripping them, that’s what good leaders do. 

Just being a mean SOB all of the time gets you know where with players - especially in the pros - you have to be able to relate to them and show them why the way you want them to do it is better than the way they may have been doing it for years. It’s about getting people to buy into you and your system.

Thompson says Jay does that, are you calling Thompson a liar even though you’ve never been on the practice field, on the sidelines of a game or in the lockeroom?

Its such a slippery slope these days with the way that players want to be coddled, and coaches have to walk a fine line of being a disciplinarian as well as getting along so players will buy in. The psychology alone has to be exhuasting, then you have to coach a team at the highest leve while dealing with game planning. Add in Bruce Allen and I am shooting myself in the head. 

Archived