3rd most important GB Defensive player for 2018 season

squire12

Which GB Packer defensive player will be the 3rd most important for the 2018 season  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which GB Packer defensive player will be the 3rd most important for the 2018 season

• Mike Daniels
    • Kenny Clark
    • Mo Wilkerson
    • Clay Matthews
    • Blake Martinez
    • HaHa Clinton-Dix
    • Tramon Williams
    • Other (please note name of player on post)

Let's have some discussion on the most important players on the GB Packers.  Going to break this down by offense and defense.  

I may not be able to submit a new poll every few days, so anyone can feel free to take up the mantle and continue.  No preference on whether it is Offense or Defense, just put something up if you feel the current poll and topic has run its course.

I think this leading defensive player question...and really the top 3-4 will be an interesting discussion. 

Previous polls

1.  Kevin King

2.  Nick Perry

Mike Daniels.  Inside pass rush in the new GB defense.  Mike Pettine will  bring out the best in Mike Daniels and it is time for him to assume the role of defensive team leader in performance on the field.

Taking a little non standard approach.  Going with Tramon.  We will need him to contribute in a big way as the young rooks acclimate to the NFL.  Also he is a great role model for the young CB's he'll be able to mentor them and help with technique.

I shouldn't write Clay off, but I am. By this I mean I don't think he will be elite anymore--injuries and age have sapped him of that which once made him special. Though, like the other NFL Matthews before him, he will probably play at a decent level for a long time yet. I am not hating on him, just adjusting my expectations from his being beastly to just being very good.

I went with HaHa because I think he is entering a year in which experience, motivation, and scheme will come together to make him one of the truly key pieces in our defense.

I actually went with Mo. I'm pretty confident I'm going to get B+ to A level run defense from Daniels and Clark to go with 4-6 sacks each. I got that last year and our defense wasn't great.

If Mo can go back to the elite top 100 level player he was in NY this defense will look entirely different.

I went with Clark actually. We know what Mike Daniels will be regardless of scheme and Mo Wilkerson is familiar with Pettine's defense. Clark is the de factor NT starter, can he make the transition and continue his ascent....

I think I had a re-thinking of this poll and I think Kenny Clark is the most important.  If you can't stop the run, you can't stop the pass anyway, so I think it starts up front with him considering we have no great pass rusher. 

I think the old adage goes.  Starts up front, so my ranking would be Clark, Daniels, Matthews, Perry, King/Alexander/Williams, Clinton-Dix, Jones. 

I think a lot of people are using depth as the only variable when voting. I get it, there’s not much behind Clay and Perry but the likelihood of playing at a high level is much less than King, Clark and HHCD. Counting on general health of our guys, we need guys playing at a high level. Clay and Perry can be very good players but I think other guys can play better at their best.

I am going with Clark. His play will enable those around him to move. On inside blitzes it will be Clark that will open that hole. Against the run it will be Clark that holds the nose and on your early downs it will be Clark’s play that opens up the play book. A strong nose will negate some of the risk having other sell out to the pass.

I could of said Daniels here because he is the on field tone setter and emotional leader but I am going back to what has for a long time been the key to the 3-4 defense. Nose Tackle. Raji and Pickett,  completely changed the dynamic of the defense. Imagine Vince Wilfork or Casey Hampton, the gold standards for NT’s.

17 hours ago, pollino14 said:

I think a lot of people are using depth as the only variable when voting. I get it, there’s not much behind Clay and Perry but the likelihood of playing at a high level is much less than King, Clark and HHCD. Counting on general health of our guys, we need guys playing at a high level. Clay and Perry can be very good players but I think other guys can play better at their best.

Clay and Perry at their best are both better than anything we've seen out HHCD and WAY WAY WAY  better than anything we've seen out of King?

48 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Clay and Perry at their best are both better than anything we've seen out HHCD and WAY WAY WAY  better than anything we've seen out of King?

Do you still think Clay can be the player he once was? 

Perry has had some good seasons and Idt he’s a bad player at all but I question his ceiling . 

Going into last year most people thought HHCD was going to ascend to a top safety.

Maybe, maybe not.

forget it. I just reread the comment and I don't understand the point being attempted to be made.

sometimes, I have the same problem with Scoremore's posts. He seems to sometimes use his own personal shorthand while posting...????

Archived