NFL Fines Jerry Richardson $2.75M

fretgod99

Linky

The Commissioner has imposed a fine on Mr. Richardson of $2.75 million, most of which will be used to support the work of organizations dedicated to addressing race and gender-based issues in and outside of the workplace.

Good. This guy can’t go away soon enough.

29 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

$2.75 million?

That's like $2.75 for the layperson. This is a huge slap on the wrist for what he's alleged to have done, especially with the NFL's moral high ground. The dude has billions of dollars.

I think the owners would balk at him being fined proportionately to his pay and would almost unanimously petition the situation. Their argument would be easily based on how the players do not have such a system in place. Look at when both Richard Sherman and Ryan Mallet were fine for verbal/non-physical offenses against an official. Sherman and Mallet were both fined just over $12K, though Richard made more in 2017 than Mallet has in his whole career.

I agree with you, I just don't believe Goodell has a chance at enforcing some $50 million fine or anything.

5 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I'm curious in a situation like this where Richardson isn't even involved with the NFL anymore(to my knowledge anyway)..is he legally required to pay?

Usually no, but if this is still part of an ongoing investigation that was going on prior to the sale of the team, the NFL could have refused the sale if he did not agree to take the fine out of his portion of the profit. Considering the NFL is always dragging something out, this likely was not anything started within the last 30 or so days (since the sale was approved) so I bet this is in the legal underwriting of that deal.

That might have also included a minimum and maximum for the fine agreed by Richardson and the NFL, and the $2.75 mil within those parameters.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell today announced the findings and conclusions in the investigation conducted by former U.S. Attorney and SEC Chairman Mary Jo White into allegations of workplace misconduct by Carolina Panthers owner Jerry Richardson. The Commissioner appointed White to serve as the independent investigator following the public disclosure in December of 2017 of allegations of improper workplace conduct by Mr. Richardson.

Following those disclosures Mr. Richardson announced his intention to sell the Carolina Panthers and removed himself from day-to-day operations of the club in favor of Panthers Chief Operating Officer Tina Becker. Last month, NFL owners approved the sale of the Panthers to David Tepper. That sale is expected to close in the next two weeks.

So yeah, he has stepped away from the day-to-day activities but right now is still technically the owner, and can be fined accordingly. With this being part of the initial search it won't cause any issues with the deal that has been set in place most likely. 

14 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

$2.75 million?

That's like $2.75 for the layperson. This is a huge slap on the wrist for what he's alleged to have done, especially with the NFL's moral high ground. The dude has billions of dollars.

His Net Worth is estimated to be $500 million. Keep in mind when he got the Panthers he had a group of investors with him, and his family owned 48% at the time of the sale.

So even if we are generous and claim he has $1 billion, $2.75 million is still a decent chunk of change, 2.75% of his net worth.

By comparison, $2.75 to a "layperson" would mean that the average layperson is only worth $100.

Now, I certainly agree that $2,750,000 probably does not impact a millionaire/billionaire the same way a similar % would for someone poorer, but pulling out ridiculous comparisons does nothing but undermine your point.

$2.75M is a lot of money, doesn’t matter how rich you are. Safe to say, rich people don’t stay/become rich by thinking along the lines of “this is just change to me”. 

Anyway, hope he’s out of the picture soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived