Glass (2019)

JonStark

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

Split would be a very average movie if not for its connection to Unbreakable.

This is kinda my thing. I feel like I have been tricked into being excited because of the unexpected connection and the promise of Glass. Was Split really a good enough flick to spawn further exploration into the world or was it just the fact that it had already been decided before the movie was released?

Just now, Deadpulse said:

This is kinda my thing. I feel like I have been tricked into being excited because of the unexpected connection and the promise of Glass. Was Split really a good enough flick to spawn further exploration into the world or was it just the fact that it had already been decided before the movie was released?

Honestly, Shyamalan has always said that the character in Split was meant to be in Unbreakable at one point, but he couldn't fit him in.  I think the reason Split got its own movie was to be able to tell that character's whole story without it hampering the storytelling of the true sequel to Unbreakable. 

When you think about it, it didn't make any sense to NOT make Split.  Easy to market it as a suspense thriller, extremely low budget, the ability to tell a villain's complete backstory and free advertising for both Unbreakable and its sequel, Glass. 

20 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

When you think about it, it didn't make any sense to NOT make Split.

Not saying it shouldnt have been made. Really I am just wondering if I really liked it as much as I think or if its as good as I think rather than the hype pumping it up. 

Just now, Deadpulse said:

Not saying it shouldnt have been made. Really I am just wondering if I really liked it as much as I think or if its as good as I think rather than the hype pumping it up. 

Oh, yeah.  Split I probably wouldn't even own if it wasn't part of it.  There was no genuinely strong twist, and everybody knew the reveal of him being legitimate was never in any doubt.  I also think the lead actress's character was really meh. 

I'll never forget my experience with it though.  I was super hyped because the trailers made it look wildly promising, and Shyamalan had been slowly creeping back into solid writer/director territory.  A few days before I was planning on going to see it, Unbreakable was on HBO and I thought, "What if Split was a surprise sequel to Unbreakable?"  Then I started putting it together, realizing that it definitely WAS a surprise sequel, and I almost cried. 

If I had gone into Split without already coming to that realization and I saw that final scene with Bruce Willis, I literally would have screamed in the theater like some nerd fanboy or something.  I see Split now basically the same way I see preseason football.  Not that great, but an excellent way to get you hyped for the real deal. 

On 6/29/2018 at 11:37 AM, HorizontoZenith said:

If I had gone into Split without already coming to that realization and I saw that final scene with Bruce Willis, I literally would have screamed in the theater like some nerd fanboy or something. 

Who would do that? I did... yea I did that.. :$

On 6/29/2018 at 9:37 AM, HorizontoZenith said:

Then I started putting it together, realizing that it definitely WAS a surprise sequel, and I almost cried. 

If I had gone into Split without already coming to that realization and I saw that final scene with Bruce Willis, I literally would have screamed in the theater like some nerd fanboy or something.

dude, you need a real life... :D

On 6/29/2018 at 8:00 AM, HorizontoZenith said:

Unbreakable is the best superhero movie ever made.  Split would be a very average movie if not for its connection to Unbreakable.  Cannot wait for this movie. 

I agree with the average comment. But I would say Dennis is an unbelievably interesting antagonist with how is character set up. His power with The Beast is based upon how many personalities he's actually got. I actually hope MNight has other people with special abilities and interesting arcs to actually continue this universe.

How the hell did you guys realize it was connected to Unbreakable prior to watching the film (and not reading any spoilers online)? I was absolutely blown away when I saw Bruce Willis at the end of the film. Like others have alluded to, my enjoyment of the film shot up tenfold when I realize this movie was linked.

Archived