Our offensive line

bucsfan333

With the news of Sweezy's departure, that opens a starting spot AND a reserve spot. What do you think the line looks like to start the season?

My guess:

LT - Donovan Smith

LG - Ali Marpet

C - Ryan Jensen

RG - Caleb Benenoch

RT - Demar Dotson

I think that's probably set. But the backups are a decent sized group.

Leonard Wester is probably leading the race to be our swing tackle. But Cole Gardner has earned nothing but praise from Koetter and teammates. And he looked great playing LT while D Smith was out.

Evan Smith and Alex Cappa are probably the two guys in the middle. E Smith can play all three spots right now, and early reports (from Koetter specifically) indicate Cappa is gonna be groomed to take over that spot.

4 hours ago, Caaddy24 said:

Cappa just seems like a small guy for the NFL.

What are his main concerns for not starting right now? Cause I can't wait to see him in there!

He's a DIII guy like Marpet. But he's more raw than Marpet was coming out.

• 2 weeks later...

Our line got better easily. Dotson’s injury history and age are a concern. 

Donovan smith and marpet playing on the same side will benefit. 

Benenoch played quite well and improved in pass protection as the year went on. His strength is run blocking which explains the move to Guard. 

Cappa is interesting. I think he’s our future at RT. He’s got the nasty but once he refines his technique he can be at worst an average starter. 

Just will take time. 

Smith is an underrated LT. he holds his own and gets thrashed by a fan base. I will have to dig up the article found by JBF that our line was top 12 in pass protection time before pressure/hit at 4+ seconds. I think our QBs need to get rid of the rock quicker. 

On 7/18/2018 at 9:08 AM, REDandPEWTER said:

Cappa is interesting. I think he’s our future at RT. He’s got the nasty but once he refines his technique he can be at worst an average starter. 

Isn't Cappa really too undersized to play tackle in the NFL, or am I remembering wrong? 

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

He's 6'7". I think he's too big to play inside. ?

I think the tallest guard I can remember in recent memory is Carl Nicks at 6'5.  I agree ultimately I believe he 'll play tackle, I believe the hope for the current regime is a right side of Benenoch and Cappa.  They 're pretty young on the oline outside Dotson.  I sure hope they can show a running game early.  Asking Fitzmagic to throw for 300 yards a game is a tough way to win.

Archived