Predict the 53 man roster

doumeyer

16 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

We  have less than a week to get this placekicker thing squared away. It would be terrible to lose a couple of games this year because our kicker missed a 40 yard of so field goal. And what about the punting game, that sure didn't look so hot in the preseason games. 

I see the Jets put E McGuire on the IR for eights weeks, does that start now or is it retroactive to when he got hurt? I don't know how some people on this board thought he would be back for game 1. There are times when a broken foot that has to be operated on can be as bad as a knee injury.

I think the coaching staff experimented a bit on special teams during the preseason. They’ll be fine. Bowles even said it after one of the preseason games. 

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

We  have less than a week to get this placekicker thing squared away. It would be terrible to lose a couple of games this year because our kicker missed a 40 yard of so field goal. And what about the punting game, that sure didn't look so hot in the preseason games. 

I see the Jets put E McGuire on the IR for eights weeks, does that start now or is it retroactive to when he got hurt? I don't know how some people on this board thought he would be back for game 1. There are times when a broken foot that has to be operated on can be as bad as a knee injury.

Matt McCrane is no slouch. 

McGuire is just put on IR so he will miss first 8 games. He had surgery at end of last July. 

Ben Ijalana will be back to activation after week 6 since he was put on IR two weeks ago.

10 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Week 9 he will be available to be activated. I think the move was to partly to roster Cannon rather than try to smuggle him to the practice squad and have a fresh set of legs (in Eli)  late in the year. 

Eli was given the 3-6 week time table 5 weeks ago and Bowles mentioned that there weren't any setbacks with his injury so the move feels roster related.  

2 hours ago, Sapo28 said:

Week 9 he will be available to be activated. I think the move was to partly to roster Cannon rather than try to smuggle him to the practice squad and have a fresh set of legs (in Eli)  late in the year. 

Eli was given the 3-6 week time table 5 weeks ago and Bowles mentioned that there weren't any setbacks with his injury so the move feels roster related.  

I think the thing to take away from it is that we really will be just using Crowell and Powell and there was no sense of taking a roster spot for Eli. Crowell looks quicker and has fresh legs to that of Forte. Therefor 3 RBs won’t be needed. I expect Cannon to get very little work if everyone is healthy.

22 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think the thing to take away from it is that we really will be just using Crowell and Powell and there was no sense of taking a roster spot for Eli. Crowell looks quicker and has fresh legs to that of Forte. Therefor 3 RBs won’t be needed. I expect Cannon to get very little work if everyone is healthy.

I think the team wants to use two backs, but I don't think the team is enamored by Powell.Both Eli and Powell fit that 3rd down role. 

Coming into the off season there were rumors that he was on the hot seat, I think Eli's injury may have saved Powell for the time being.

Call me crazy but I think Powell could get the ax if he doesn't produce in Eli's absence. 

8 minutes ago, Sapo28 said:

I think the team wants to use two backs, but I don't think the team is enamored by Powell.Both Eli and Powell fit that 3rd down role. 

Coming into the off season there were rumors that he was on the hot seat, I think Eli's injury may have saved Powell for the time being.

Call me crazy but I think Powell could get the ax if he doesn't produce in Eli's absence. 

Powell was being on hot seat? That is new to me.  Maybe you meant some fans want him out.

Powell's receiving number is alarming, thus having Trenton Cannon as 3rd option. Crowell will make the most of both territories (air and ground).

Who knows what will happen when Elijah McGuire returns. Maybe Jets could move Cannon to WR department with PR as double duty in place of Andre Roberts.  Like McCown, Powell's character is too good to dismiss coldly.

I was pro cutting Powell if we drafted a RB earlier in the draft and rolling with Crowell, a rookie and McGuire. But Cannon certainly doesn't look good enough to take over a big role like Powell's. So I think there's 0 plans on cutting Powell even when McGuire comes back healthy. I think we'd send Cannon to the PS before we'd cut Powell at this point. Cannon for me is very underwhelming. He cant run between the tackles and needs to utilize his speed in the open field... which isn't necessarily easy to get that opportunity in the NFL. And everything he touches in the return game is a fumble. That's why we had to waste a roster spot for Roberts, strictly bc of returns bc Cannon couldn't prove himself.

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

Powell was being on hot seat? That is new to me.  Maybe you meant some fans want him out.

Powell's receiving number is alarming, thus having Trenton Cannon as 3rd option. Crowell will make the most of both territories (air and ground).

Who knows what will happen when Elijah McGuire returns. Maybe Jets could move Cannon to WR department with PR as double duty in place of Andre Roberts.  Like McCown, Powell's character is too good to dismiss coldly.

Per Roto 7/11, (Not necessarily calling for his head but not a great sign):

"The New York Post expects Bilal Powell's touches to "drop dramatically" this season. -Powell set career highs in carries (178) and yards (722) last year with Matt Forte battling knee issues. His workload is going to regress after the Jets signed Isaiah Crowell, who's never missed a game in his career. Eli McGuire's third-down role is also a concern for Powell's 2018 outlook."

Archived