Predict the 53 man roster

doumeyer

For me where Macc falls a tad short is pulling the trigger. I look at what we’ve looked into... but haven’t made it happen. We made an offer for Fowler but still haven’t pulled the trigger on that. We made an offer for Mack and didn’t pull the trigger. We brought in guys we could really use like Kikaha, Perriman, etc. Yet haven’t signed them. He needs to take more shots IMO.

56 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

For me where Macc falls a tad short is pulling the trigger. I look at what we’ve looked into... but haven’t made it happen. We made an offer for Fowler but still haven’t pulled the trigger on that. We made an offer for Mack and didn’t pull the trigger. We brought in guys we could really use like Kikaha, Perriman, etc. Yet haven’t signed them. He needs to take more shots IMO.

It seems like he only pulls the trigger if he feels the price is right. It’s definitely conservative but it also leads him to be on winning side of most of his trades. The Pryor for Davis, the 7th for Anderson Trade, Richardson trade, Darnold trade, Teddy trade, etc all look good in hindsight. Can’t think of a many bad trades. The Rashad Robinson trade doesn’t look too good. But it’s tbd. He seems pretty stubborn actually. Thinking of the ASJ negotiations. He had a price, it was too high Macc moved on. 

49ers drafted Robinson in 4th round and then traded him to Jets for 5th round pick in the following season.  It hardly is a bad trade but he owns a large baggage.

As far as 53 player roster, it is on Todd Bowles, not Mike Maccagnan.   Don't blame Macc if Jets don't sign Dan Bailey to replace Jason Myers. Don't blame Macc if Jets opt not to add another pass rusher via scrappy FA.  Maccagnan did his job to invite a several available pass rushers to be tested out in front of Todd Bowles and his specific coach(es).

3 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

49ers drafted Robinson in 4th round and then traded him to Jets for 5th round pick in the following season.  It hardly is a bad trade but he owns a large baggage.

As far as 53 player roster, it is on Todd Bowles, not Mike Maccagnan.   Don't blame Macc if Jets don't sign Dan Bailey to replace Jason Myers. Don't blame Macc if Jets opt not to add another pass rusher via scrappy FA.  Maccagnan did his job to invite a several available pass rushers to be tested out in front of Todd Bowles and his specific coach(es).

I don't think the Robinson trade was a bad trade. But it's the only trade where I don't think Macc clearly came out ahead. It's a bit of wash at the moment. The Teddy trade is a tossup as well. The rest though, I give Macc the W. Unless there's a trade out there I don't recall him making. 

7 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I don't think the Robinson trade was a bad trade. But it's the only trade where I don't think Macc clearly came out ahead. It's a bit of wash at the moment. The Teddy trade is a tossup as well. The rest though, I give Macc the W. Unless there's a trade out there I don't recall him making. 

http://turnonthejets.com/2018/08/new-york-jets-maccagnans-trades-how-they-lead-to-one-more/

I guess it covers everything except a bunch of trade downs 2 years ago.

5 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Wait you think the HC has the last say so on who makes the roster? Bc that's about as far as true as it gets. Its actually quite the opposite. Macc can bring in a player and sign them and he has control over the personnel. Whether Bowles plays that player or not is where its out of his control. Also regarding money... Once these guys are cut they cost nothing. Guys like Kikaha and Perriman for example wont cost us anything and are upgrades over Copeland/Martin and Roberts/Peake. That's just 2 examples. Its not like they're guys that come with a 8mill cap tie to them. They will cost us pretty much nothing. So its in fact Macc just not pulling the trigger. When IMO their ceilings are potential are quite a bit higher than what we have. I wont fault not getting Mack bc the price was high. I wont even fault not getting Fowler bc it sounds like Jacksonville might be asking too much as well. But guys that's are cut cost us very little.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Wait you think the HC has the last say so on who makes the roster? Bc that's about as far as true as it gets. Its actually quite the opposite. Macc can bring in a player and sign them and he has control over the personnel. Whether Bowles plays that player or not is where its out of his control. Also regarding money... Once these guys are cut they cost nothing. Guys like Kikaha and Perriman for example wont cost us anything and are upgrades over Copeland/Martin and Roberts/Peake. That's just 2 examples. Its not like they're guys that come with a 8mill cap tie to them. They will cost us pretty much nothing. So its in fact Macc just not pulling the trigger. When IMO their ceilings are potential are quite a bit higher than what we have. I wont fault not getting Mack bc the price was high. I wont even fault not getting Fowler bc it sounds like Jacksonville might be asking too much as well. But guys that's are cut cost us very little.

Todd Bowles has the final say for 53 roster squad.  No question about it.  

As for Jaguars' Fowler, it probably is too rich for Jets since Tom Couglin isn't known for better getting something than losing for nothing.  That sucks.

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

Todd Bowles has the final say for 53 roster squad.  No question about it.  

As for Jaguars' Fowler, it probably is too rich for Jets since Tom Couglin isn't known for better getting something than losing for nothing.  That sucks.

I don’t believe this is correct. Bowles is not even close to established enough to have final say. Maybe guys like Payton, BB, Reid, etc have a say so. But Bowles I think doesn’t. That doesn’t mean he and Macc don’t talk about it. But I believe Macc has roster control.

10 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Dan Bailey has 4 offers.  That explains why he doesn't hurry up and sign with Jets.  grr!!

That sucks. I was hoping he would sign with us. He still might but I don't see him visiting other teams. I have a feeling the Chargers are a team that might want him.

10 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I don’t believe this is correct. Bowles is not even close to established enough to have final say. Maybe guys like Payton, BB, Reid, etc have a say so. But Bowles I think doesn’t. That doesn’t mean he and Macc don’t talk about it. But I believe Macc has roster control.

My apologies. Bowles has final say on the lineup (46 active players) and Maccagnan controls the rest. Still, PK always is an active position. lol.

3 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Unrelated, but it’s amazing how superstitious Pryor is with his number. Just pick #19 and be done with it

Haha, true. Im hoping we catch lightning in a bottle with him. Has all the tools to be a high end #2 if he can stay healthy. I grabbed him in both my FF leagues late for this reason.

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Haha, true. Im hoping we catch lightning in a bottle with him. Has all the tools to be a high end #2 if he can stay healthy. I grabbed him in both my FF leagues late for this reason.

I think he's going to be our top receiver this year, but we'll let him walk in FA. Just a hunch

Archived