Thoughts on the Offseason

AlexGreen#20

5 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I think there are plenty of mid level fa wr on the scrap heap if needed that are better options than Bryant.

That’s just ridiculous. Dez might not be your type of tea personally but he’s loads better than Maclin, Harry Douglas and Eric Decker and it’s not even close.

3 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I just don't think he's worth it at this point in his career. Flat out.

Rick Gosselin is one of the best beat writers in the league and he covers the cowboys. Interview below

Is there any chance he ends up back in Dallas?

"I think they've moved on from him. I think if there was a chance he was going to return to Dallas, it would have been the power of persuasion of Jerry Jones back in March when they let him go. And that didn't happen. I think they've moved on from Dez. I think they want this group to emerge with its own identity and not in the shadows of Dez. And he wasn't that good a receiver last year. He still has trouble running routes, drops passes. This is not Michael Irvin or Jerry Rice we're talking about."

He's said he'd love to be on a Cowboys rival.

That boat has sailed. He's not gonna play the Cowboys twice a year. And he's not going to be the lead receiver. All the stuff that he envisioned way back in March when they let him go has not materialized. I thought he completely overplayed his hand by turning down Baltimore "

I'm glad we have a new defensive coordinator which is 5 years overdue. Excited about the young CBs. Love having Tramon as a mentor who can also still play the game effectively. Excited about Aaron, the running backs as well.

Unfortunately, we still have some of the same issues. 

No true ILB. Ideally, Clay plays there the rest of his career but who the hell knows what the plan is. I love Martinez but not as your best ILB.

No WRs to stretch the field... relying on rookies with Adams and Cobb... is... ugh. Not saying we needed to sign a star or anything but eh..

Concerned about the RT depth chart. I'm not a believer in Spriggs, hope the kid proves the doubters wrong. I think Bulaga will eventually be the starter when he's back but with his history, you can't rely on him despite his talent.

7 hours ago, spilltray said:

I think there are plenty of mid level fa wr on the scrap heap if needed that are better options than Bryant.

Like who?  Bryant had 5 fewer catches and 50 fewer yards than Davante Adams had last year.  How can people be down on Bryant while being excited for Adams next year?  Adams wasn't all that much better at getting open last year than Bryant.

1 hour ago, SSG said:

Like who?  Bryant had 5 fewer catches and 50 fewer yards than Davante Adams had last year.  How can people be down on Bryant while being excited for Adams next year?  Adams wasn't all that much better at getting open last year than Bryant.

Can Bryant still play at a decent level when compared to the average WR in the league?  Probably.  What about when compared to WR1s around the league?  In any case his arrow is pointing down right now, while Adams’ arrow is pointing up.  

2 hours ago, StinkySauce said:

Can Bryant still play at a decent level when compared to the average WR in the league?  Probably.  What about when compared to WR1s around the league?  In any case his arrow is pointing down right now, while Adams’ arrow is pointing up.  

No denying that Adams arrow is pointing up but that is mainly due to the QB throwing him the ball.  The difference between the 2 WRs 2017 isn't all that much.  Fans are talking like Bryant's career is all but over while ignoring the fact that he wasn't all that less productive than Adams whom I've seen some call a top 7 WR this coming year.  Bryant also didn't have a Jordy Nelson or Randall Cobb stealing attention.  Adams has rarely had to deal with a double coverage in his NFL career while its a weekly occurrence with Bryant.  I'm not saying that Bryant is a better WR or that he's going to be more productive.  Just pointing out the clear double standard.  IMO if Bryant wasn't a Cowboy the opinion of him would be vastly different.  Fans would likely view him in the same light as Jimmy Graham who looked awful last year.  The same people who are saying Bryant can't get open are ignoring the fact that Jimmy Graham was useless when not in the redzone.  He was easily covered by LBs and struggled to get any sort of separation regardless of who was covering him.  

8 hours ago, FAH1223 said:

I'm glad we have a new defensive coordinator which is 5 years overdue. Excited about the young CBs. Love having Tramon as a mentor who can also still play the game effectively. Excited about Aaron, the running backs as well.

Unfortunately, we still have some of the same issues. 

No true ILB. Ideally, Clay plays there the rest of his career but who the hell knows what the plan is. I love Martinez but not as your best ILB.

No WRs to stretch the field... relying on rookies with Adams and Cobb... is... ugh. Not saying we needed to sign a star or anything but eh..

Concerned about the RT depth chart. I'm not a believer in Spriggs, hope the kid proves the doubters wrong. I think Bulaga will eventually be the starter when he's back but with his history, you can't rely on him despite his talent.

I think Martinez can be that true ILB this year, the guy is only going into his third year and he made a pretty signifigant jump from his rook year leading the league in tackles. I don't know the last time we had someone as good as him tbh, maybe Hawk? That speaks to how bad we've had it at that position though, but I think Martinez will be one of the best in the league sooner than later. 

8 hours ago, SSG said:

And Adams was playing with awful QB play. Stats lie. Go watch some games.  His career IS all but over. He no longer has the athletic ability to get any separation and isn't enough of a technician to work spot and timing. 

Seriously your entire train of thought here including the Graham bit evaporates if you actually watch them play instead of box score scouting. No one was doubling Bryant anymore either.

12 hours ago, SSG said:

Yeah with 117 more snaps.  That's like Davante playing over 2 more games with 0 yards or TDs AND he had a significantly better QB most of the season.  Adams was way better at getting open.  Adams is also quite a bit better after the catch.  Dez is not worth paying very much over the minimum and I kinda doubt that's the money he's looking for.  If you want an inefficient vet with declining athleticism who isn't a very technical WR you can get it without paying for it elsewhere.

10 hours ago, Norm said:

Bryant is so good he's not even on a team 

Think most of that is him, plus his personality. We already know he turned down a decent deal from the Ravens and is probably holding out as long as possible for the right deal, plus some teams are wary because of his image. The guy obviously isnt without risk.  

That being said if we are simply talking about play-making ability and presence on the field, if anyone thinks G-Mo plus some Day 3 rooks is a better option in 2018 than Dez Bryant, that's like believing 1+2=4. 

Archived