Thoughts on the Offseason

AlexGreen#20

Nelson played 4 complete games with Rodgers last year.  He missed most of the Atlanta game with a quad injury, and Rodgers was obviously lost in the Minnesota game.

Even in the Minnesota game, against a top defense, with less than a full game of Rodgers, he had 6 catches for 60 yards.  More importantly, it was the first game of the year where we had an intact starting OL.  For the complete games that Jordy played with Rodgers, most were played with the 4 guard offensive line or deficient tackle talent, where Rodgers really couldn't go for the deep shot due to protection issues.

Thus, trying to judge Jordy by 2017 stats is problematic at best.  The biggest knock on Jordy, imo, is that he has had injury issues of late- ribs, quad, shoulder- so his availability may not be what it was.  

Doing nothing would have left the Packers over invested in aging wide receivers, and under invested in the tight end position, a position which has greatly benefited the offense when stocked with a top player.  

Personally, I feel that the Packers didn't want to get to the next offseason and have Adams as there only returning starter under contract, so they would fortify the tight end position and go with developmental players at the bottom of the group.  This gives them the opportunity to see what they can develop before next off season at which time they will have to make some kind of stronger move if the new guys don't develop.  Also, I feel like Gute thought it would take two years to fill all the holes on the team, so he was willing to temporize at WR with developmental players this year and see what came of it.

It is a bit of a gamble because there will be issues if injuries occur to Adams, Cobb or Graham, but in terms of team needs this off season, WR was down the line, imo.  Rodgers talent should make up for some inexperience there.  Favre made James Jones an 600+ yard receiver as a rookie.  Rodgers should be able to that with at least one of these guys I would hope.

7 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Geronimo Allison runs a god damn 4.7 40. Our #2 Boundary guy can't run right now.

At least Nelson could be depended on to be where he needed to be and could create some separation with savvy and on broken plays.

The Raiders didn't pay Jordy scrub money either. This idea that Jordy is entirely fried is nonsense.

With Rodgers as his QB, Nelson was on pace for the following line: 61 receptions / 736 yards / 19TDs

Allison played in 491 snaps, 1/3 of total snaps ran and had 23 receptions / 253 yards / 0 TDs

There are levels of badness and Allison is on a deeper level than Jordy.

The bolded is the dumbest, cherry picked stat I've seen in a long time.  You're a better poster than that. Seriously.  You really think a declining WR can baseball slide his way to 19 TDs?

3 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

The bolded is the dumbest, cherry picked stat I've seen in a long time.  You're a better poster than that. Seriously.  You really think a declining WR can baseball slide his way to 19 TDs?

No, but if we apply just a small amount of critical thinking, we might see that the line implies a guy who's still able to be an effective red zone target even if he's no longer dominant between the 20s.

11 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Geronimo Allison runs a god damn 4.7 40. Our #2 Boundary guy can't run right now.

At least Nelson could be depended on to be where he needed to be and could create some separation with savvy and on broken plays.

The Raiders didn't pay Jordy scrub money either. This idea that Jordy is entirely fried is nonsense.

With Rodgers as his QB, Nelson was on pace for the following line: 61 receptions / 736 yards / 19TDs

Allison played in 491 snaps, 1/3 of total snaps ran and had 23 receptions / 253 yards / 0 TDs

There are levels of badness and Allison is on a deeper level than Jordy.

This coming season, Geronimo will probably get better and Jordy will probably get worse.

Geronimo is a young player still learning the position. There is no reason to give up on his development at this point.

43 minutes ago, VegasDan said:

This coming season, Geronimo will probably get better and Jordy will probably get worse.

Geronimo is a young player still learning the position. There is no reason to give up on his development at this point.

Other than that he lacks the physical ability to be a plus starter and really has no upside?

13 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Lots of teams make poor financial decisions regarding players.  Advocating for GB to follow in their footsteps is poor management.

Only time will tell if Oakland made a good fiscal decision to commit the resources they did to Nelson.

10 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Lots of teams make poor financial decisions regarding players.  Advocating for GB to follow in their footsteps is poor management.

Only time will tell if Oakland made a good fiscal decision to commit the resources they did to Nelson.

Fair enough

The Jordy decision has become stranger to me as the off-season continued. I was all for looking for a replacement, and Graham is nice but it’s not like he comes without significant risk.

We didn’t get a WR in FA and we invested mid round picks in WRs; if this was the case, why not just keep Jordy for another year? He still had value with his chemistry with AR and his experience.

I think our pass catchers are pretty risky this year.

On 7/8/2018 at 7:02 PM, VegasDan said:

He might improve but I've got my doubts.  He's one of the 2 or 3 least athletic WRs in the league and offers absolutely no upside in regards to athleticism.  The only reason he's in the league is because of his work in the film room IMO.  

I think its going to play out a lot like 2015 when we needed a major impact from an athletically limited 31 year old James Jones ( though Jones was  more talented as a WR IMO).  Having to force throws in impossible windows because of an inability to get separation.  

Archived