Thoughts on the Offseason

AlexGreen#20

4 hours ago, SSG said:

He might improve but I've got my doubts.  He's one of the 2 or 3 least athletic WRs in the league and offers absolutely no upside in regards to athleticism.  The only reason he's in the league is because of his work in the film room IMO.  

I think its going to play out a lot like 2015 when we needed a major impact from an athletically limited 31 year old James Jones ( though Jones was  more talented as a WR IMO).  Having to force throws in impossible windows because of an inability to get separation.  

I get it. The odds are stacked against him. If it will make you feel better, he is a better athlete than Anquon Boldin. He does have good height, route running skills, and hands. 

I think he plays a lot better than he tested. He may not have practiced for the testing, I dont know.  He dominated some good DBs at the east-west Shrine game and I think he has some potential.

4 hours ago, SSG said:

He might improve but I've got my doubts.  He's one of the 2 or 3 least athletic WRs in the league and offers absolutely no upside in regards to athleticism.  The only reason he's in the league is because of his work in the film room IMO.  

I think its going to play out a lot like 2015 when we needed a major impact from an athletically limited 31 year old James Jones ( though Jones was  more talented as a WR IMO).  Having to force throws in impossible windows because of an inability to get separation.  

Are you talking about Jordy or Allison?

3 hours ago, VegasDan said:

I get it. The odds are stacked against him. If it will make you feel better, he is a better athlete than Anquon Boldin. He does have good height, route running skills, and hands. 

I think he plays a lot better than he tested. He may not have practiced for the testing, I dont know.  He dominated some good DBs at the east-west Shrine game and I think he has some potential.

Doesn't make me feel better.  There are few Anquon Boldins in NFL history.  In modern NFL, few WRs that are Allison's caliber of athlete make it in the NFL.  Given their college careers and the start of their NFL career, he's a lot closer to Jarrett Boykin than he is Anquan Boldin IMO.  Hopefully his year 3 is a lot better than Boykin's year 3 because Boykin had almost exactly this amount of optimism going into year 3 after his extremely productive sophomore year and the big role he was looking to have (before he lost it to DA).

• 2 weeks later...

These are the top guys who left GB this offseason, likely there will be a few more on cut-down day

Jordy Nelson, Jeff Janis, Jahri Evans, Martellus Bennett, Richard Rodgers, Ricky Jean Francis, Quentin Dial, Ahmad Brooks, Joe Thomas, Damarious Randall, Morgan Burnett

I still want the Packers to ink Dez on a one year incentive laden deal.  If he comes in fired up to show the league they done messed up it would be money well spent.  If he comes in and is a knucklehead you cut bait.  Dez really would take some heat off of Adams, and solidify our offense.   

14 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I still want the Packers to ink Dez on a one year incentive laden deal.  If he comes in fired up to show the league they done messed up it would be money well spent.  If he comes in and is a knucklehead you cut bait.  Dez really would take some heat off of Adams, and solidify our offense.   

Yeah. I am in the opinion that we need to add some talent to help us this year. I know everyone says we have all the young WRs, but I can't imagine Dez not being a better option for this year than one of the rookies or G-Mo. 

9 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Yeah. I am in the opinion that we need to add some talent to help us this year. I know everyone says we have all the young WRs, but I can't imagine Dez not being a better option for this year than one of the rookies or G-Mo. 

No doubt .. Dez is a guy opposing defenses would have to account for. He could make hay against most #2 corners in this league and he's versatile enough to play outside or in the slot.  Plus, Cobb is already banged up .. just imagine if Adams was hurt seriously in season .. all of a sudden our pass game goes to crap.  I know we have some promising rookies, but I sure as heck would add on Dez and see how it plays out.  

18 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

No doubt .. Dez is a guy opposing defenses would have to account for. He could make hay against most #2 corners in this league and he's versatile enough to play outside or in the slot.  Plus, Cobb is already banged up .. just imagine if Adams was hurt seriously in season .. all of a sudden our pass game goes to crap.  I know we have some promising rookies, but I sure as heck would add on Dez and see how it plays out.  

That’s a huge worry of mine as well, if Adams goes down. Really think we’r playing a dangerous game.

Did Maclin sign? I’d be down with he or Dez.

29 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

If Adams gets hurt it could be looking at an offense alot like the one we seen in 2015.  That year we needed Randall Cobb to be a #1.  We needed James Jones to be a #2.  Because of that our offense struggled terribly.  That year we were swept at home by our division foe.  We lost 4 of 5 in the meat of our schedule and backed our way into the playoffs.

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:
1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

Yeah, that's my main worry as well. I like all the rookies, but it's hard to count on more than one of them. I certainly don't trust Trevor Davis. 

I like G-Mo and think he will pleasantly surprise a lot of people simply because he has trust with Rodgers, and he works really hard. He has limitations athletically, but as long as he's not asked to be the primary boundary WR I'm ok with him. When Adams gets hurt, as it stands, G-Mo is our primary boundary WR. 

Still a hard no on Dez Bryant, and the later it gets the less I want to consider it. He's always gotten by on athletic ability, never being much for the "craft" of being a WR. He is just a sloppy route runner and I have no faith he could learn enough of the playbook, both well and fast enough, to be worth it. This isn't a situation where the vet can get by on savvy and experience. Dez isn't that guy.

39 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Still a hard no on Dez Bryant, and the later it gets the less I want to consider it. He's always gotten by on athletic ability, never being much for the "craft" of being a WR. He is just a sloppy route runner and I have no faith he could learn enough of the playbook, both well and fast enough, to be worth it. This isn't a situation where the vet can get by on savvy and experience. Dez isn't that guy.

He might not be the most savy WR, and he might have lost some athleticism but I’m highly confident he could dominate #2 CBs.

If Adam’s goes down, how confident are you in our receivers?

Whats the harm in a 1 year deal for Dez?

1 minute ago, pollino14 said:

He might not be the most savy WR, and he might have lost some athleticism but I’m highly confident he could dominate #2 CBs.

If Adam’s goes down, how confident are you in our receivers?

Whats the harm in a 1 year deal for Dez?

Cue the "it sets our young WRs back because they won't get opportunities" response. 

13 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Cue the "it sets our young WRs back because they won't get opportunities" response. 

I really hope someone doesn’t respond with that lol.

I seriously see no risk signing Dez, and see a ton of risk going in with our current pass catchers.

Archived