Jake Fromm vs Tua Tagovailoa

Scout

On 6/30/2018 at 10:31 AM, Scout said:

Figured these two deserved their own thread as they are the best 2 NFL QB prospects, despite being true freshman last year. At this stage, who do you like more?

No they're not.  Neither look like big time NFL prospects.  Tua is undersized and has an unusual hitch in his throwing motion.  While Fromm has only adequate arm strength and mobility to go with average to below average size.

Of the two, I would probably take Jake Fromm right now.  But he reminds me of an Andy Dalton type QB in the NFL.  Sure he'll win you some games if you surround him with talent.  But he'll never be a top tier QB that you can count on to win big time games in the playoffs or to carry a team with sub-par talent on his back.

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

So Fromm is a lot like AJ McCarron

No.  He's better than McCarrons.  AJ is not a starting caliber NFL QB.  I believe Fromm can be a starter.  But he'll only be on the level of an Andy Dalton.  He's not gonna be a high level starter in the NFL.  He simply lacks the physical tools in terms of arm strength and mobility.

9 hours ago, Supersuavesky said:

No. Just no.

Fromm probably isn't even the best QB on his team. That's Fields. 

Justin Fields = mini Cam Newton

He'll be a high first round when he comes out.  No doubt about it.

2 hours ago, VanS said:

No they're not.  Neither look like big time NFL prospects.  Tua is undersized and has an unusual hitch in his throwing motion.  While Fromm has only adequate arm strength and mobility to go with average to below average size.

Of the two, I would probably take Jake Fromm right now.  But he reminds me of an Andy Dalton type QB in the NFL.  Sure he'll win you some games if you surround him with talent.  But he'll never be a top tier QB that you can count on to win big time games in the playoffs or to carry a team with sub-par talent on his back.

Who do you think is the best QB prospect?

3 minutes ago, Scout said:

Who do you think is the best QB prospect?

Nobody has really jumped out to me from last year's freshmen class or the sophomore class.  I'm not high on the QBs coming out in 2019 and I don't see much in Fromm and Tua.  I've seen a good bit from Justin Fields high school film to be intrigued but I need to see him on a college field before I can properly evaluate him.

I think we were spoiled with the last 2 QB draft classes.  I don't think the next couple of drafts with be as good.  

1 hour ago, VanS said:

Nobody has really jumped out to me from last year's freshmen class or the sophomore class.  I'm not high on the QBs coming out in 2019 and I don't see much in Fromm and Tua.  I've seen a good bit from Justin Fields high school film to be intrigued but I need to see him on a college field before I can properly evaluate him.

I think we were spoiled with the last 2 QB draft classes.  I don't think the next couple of drafts with be as good.  

Mitchell Trubisky is what you consider "spoiled"?

5 minutes ago, AlNFL19 said:

It's Lock, Stidham, or Herbert right now, probably. This season is make-or-break for like the top 15 QBs in next year's class.

From what I've seen of next year's class, I'd take a shot on Herbert or Stidham R1 but I don't know if they are franchise QBs. I also think Thorson has a shot

21 hours ago, Danger said:

Mitchell Trubisky is what you consider "spoiled"?

No.  I meant more like Deshaun Watson, Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, Sam Darnold, and Josh Rosen.  All guys who went in the 1st round that I think will be high level starters.  Those drafts also had several guys I consider steals in the later rounds.

And anyone making any assumptions about Tua, good or bad, is crazy. He's played in one game. He could easily end up being benched before his college career is over or he could end up being a slam-dunk #1 pick. I'm fine with jumping the gun after a good season or stretch of games, but he literally played 95% of ONE GAME. It's way too small of a sample size to deem him ANYTHING right now.

Archived