Jake Fromm vs Tua Tagovailoa

Scout

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2018 at 1:05 PM, BleedTheClock said:

And anyone making any assumptions about Tua, good or bad, is crazy. He's played in one game

That wasn't the only game he played in.  In fact, that wasn't even his most impressive TD pass of the season (stakes aside, of course). 

Haven't really read through this, but based on what I see on Twitter and national media, I'll offer some of my two cents.

• Jake Fromm did a great job stepping in as a freshman when Jacob Eason got hurt. Yes, he held onto the starting job and his team went all the way to the national title. But let's remember that Eason was originally the starter, the main reason being Eason has an NFL skill-set and is dripping with potential. Fromm is a solid QB, but his skill-set is rather lackluster and reminds me a lot of former UGA QB Aaron Murray. Just because a guy is the starting QB for a national championship caliber team doesn't automatically mean he is an NFL level QB. I like the kid, his teammates love him (part of the reason he stayed ahead of Eason, one liked to party and the other liked to work), but nothing has ever really stood out to me in regards to projecting him to the next level.
  • I get that it's fun to hype players up, but the Tua love is insane. I see people talking about this kid as a surefire 1st rounder when we've barely watched him. Let's chill before chugging the kool-aid. He has displayed some nice flashes, but his body type is far from typical for an NFL signal-caller, we need to see how he does over the course of full games when teams can make adjustments to him, and let's not forget that the play before that title winner, he made an absolutely careless decision that forced the miracle that ensued (which only happened in large part due to terrible defense by Georgia).

12 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

I get that it's fun to hype players up, but the Tua love is insane. I see people talking about this kid as a surefire 1st rounder when we've barely watched him. Let's chill before chugging the kool-aid. He has displayed some nice flashes, but his body type is far from typical for an NFL signal-caller, we need to see how he does over the course of full games when teams can make adjustments to him, and let's not forget that the play before that title winner, he made an absolutely careless decision that forced the miracle that ensued (which only happened in large part due to terrible defense by Georgia).

The CB could've done a better job at rerouting the WR but Tua looking the safety off the way he did was elite so I gotta disagree with the bolded.  You don't see that done that well at this level very often.  However, taking the sack the play before could've been catastrophic.  Not only does he need to show he's the real deal this season but next season as well since he's a true sophomore.  I'm absolutely stoked for this season.  With our RB and WR corps at his side, Tua is going to shine.

The best two NFL QB prospects?  How so, Tua has never even played a full game yet and Fromm is some what limited in terms of arm strength  For what 2020, because right now as prospects Stidham, Lock, Herbert, Finley, Thorson, Grier and maybe Francois I would take as better prospects over these guys right now.  If it is only 2020 though could argue Jacob Eason is more talented especially in terms of arm talent than either of these guys.  KJ Costello is pretty solid as well and see how Patterson does on Michigan and his backup Peters is not bad.  Much less following close behind them in 2021 Justin Fields who could be better than any of them and if not him Trevor Lawrence.  

Will see and wait till Tua plays a full freaking game.  Would be great if he was that good but a little early to call I would say just based on one half of play in a huge game and blow out duty the rest of the way.

On 7/31/2018 at 6:24 PM, devils1854 said:

What? When did Fromm lose his starting job might I ask?

Most believe Fromm will start week 1 but moving forward it's Fields that'll be starting for the bulldogs. I heard he was also dealing with minor recurring injuries.

2 minutes ago, Classic said:

Most believe Fromm will start week 1 but moving forward it's Fields that'll be starting for the bulldogs. I heard he was also dealing with minor recurring injuries.

Not even close to true.

The Bulldogs are Fromm's team, at least this season unless something catastrophic happens. He doesnt have reoccurring injuries. He broke his non-throwing hand on a freak boat accident about a month ago, and got a fishing lure caught on his leg earlier this summer. Nothing from football, and if you read reports from the first day of camp, Fromm is perfectly healthy, and the hand will be completely healed soon.

Archived