How the NFL should get to an 18 Game Schedule

ChaRisMa

10 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

It would create bad football games. I don't get the point. Why do I want to expand a season to watch Brett Hundley or Kizer quarterback two games? You're either making two more preseason games that actually count if a teams strategy is to bench a big group of starters for 2 games. Or you're intermittently scattering benchings of your starters so you are close but never at full strength every game. Why would I want to watch that either?

The NFL doesn't need more money or more games.

Agree.

But think of the fun it would bring to the betting world........
I'm sure the NFL would step in to assist the gamblers of the world and INSIST players to be deactivated in the "two game rotational parley" be announced well before game day.

10 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

I’m not sure you’d notice so much.

LIS, only 12 QBs started every game last year. 8 RBs, 6 WRs. By week 8, our team is starting Knile Davis, and by the playoffs we are starting Ladarius Gunter. You are getting more starters for 16 games and developing the younger guys those weeks they are particularly banged up. I don’t see a way the time to heal doesn’t help the human body. 

The league needs QB Development badly. If we had what I propose we probably see Hundley a year earlier and know he’s as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop.

You could also play all division and conference games prior to the end week 16.

'Poopy flavored lollipop' made me laugh. One advantage of sitting starter-level players is that you can time their forced rest-week (or weeks) to allow them to recover when they are banged up, and would otherwise be playing through injury.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, a second rest week for each team, would also help recovery from the grind of a long season. In fact any additional complexity to the current game, allows the better HC's to gain an advantage over the less talented ones. I think MM would handle that change better than many HCs.

1 minute ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

'Poopy flavored lollipop' made me laugh. One advantage of sitting starter-level players is that you can time their forced rest-week (or weeks) to allow them to recover when they are banged up, and would otherwise be playing through injury.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, a second rest week for each team, would also help recovery from the grind of a long season. In fact any additional complexity to the current game, allows the better HC's to gain an advantage over the less talented ones. I think MM would handle that change better than may HCs.

Just add a second bye week for teams. 

Think this is a ridiculous notion.  Just leave it at 16 games.  It is already a very long season.  If anything they could lose 1 preseason game.  Understand the NFL is greedy but this would be a mistake.  If they were to go to 18 games then the roster should be expanded from 53 to 60 players.  Mandatory resting of players for 2 games makes no sense it would be hard to execute and confuse fans.  It's just a bad idea.  Never going to happen anyway.  They may eventually go to 18 games but the idea of a mandatory resting of players for a few games won't be part of it.

On 7/1/2018 at 6:39 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Just add a second bye week for teams. 

What do you think is stopping them from doing that right now? Like seriously they can make that happen, and make more money. I’m gonna watch different games during the bye week. There’s advertising dollars there if they want it. The players health benefits. Everyone’s family lives stand to benefit. Is it just a fear of the season being longer?

31 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

What do you think is stopping them from doing that right now? Like seriously they can make that happen, and make more money. I’m gonna watch different games during the bye week. There’s advertising dollars there if they want it. The players health benefits. Everyone’s family lives stand to benefit. Is it just a fear of the season being longer?

It's a violent sport and players wear down.  If a team is a wildcard and goes to the Superbowl you are talking 20 games already.  24 including preseason.  Used to be 12 games back in the day.  16 is already pushing it.  I wouldn't extend the season and also would allow teams to carry more players on the active roster perhaps 58 instead of 53.  The players union would never go for either 18 games or expanding the roster.  Best just to leave it alone.  

On 7/1/2018 at 7:32 AM, squire12 said:

2nd string OL preseason football is delightful to watch 

Only Corey Linsley made it through all 16 games last year. Linsley 15. Evans 14. Bakh 12. Bulaga/Spriggs/etc. 

If you played straight best OL possible the first 16 weeks, last year if we had a 17th game our starting OL under this idea woulda been Bakh, Taylor, C, Evans, McCray.

55 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

The season currently starts the weekend after Labor Day.  Not sure the NFL wants to move that up a week.  Adding a week at the end of the season would be the way to go.  Not sure if the issue would be the SuperBowl being Mid February and running into other sport seasons?  

17 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

no thanks. 16 games is plenty. all that adding 2 games does is increase injuries and the number of snaps bad backups will have to play. don't fix it if it's not broken. 

You'd still be sitting in a cave and freezing, if we all followed your mantra. It is human nature to tweak things, whether it is rules, tactics, games, locations, whatever. You call 16 games 'plenty', but if an 18 game season had two less preseason games and two bye weeks, that is mitigated.

28 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

It's a violent sport and players wear down.  If a team is a wildcard and goes to the Superbowl you are talking 20 games already.  24 including preseason.

But it's two less if we only have 2 preseason games, it's easier still on wear and tear, if there is a second bye week. The extra posteseason games also allow an extra week for the better teams that qualify.

I've always kind of like the idea of a 17 game season with 3 preseason games.

1 game played at a neutral field, chance for 16 games at neutral fields like Toronto, Mexico City, London, Rose Bowl, Canton, Lambeau, New York, Japan, China, etc. Then teams wouldn't have to give up a home game to play in different places, shortens the preseason, but no drastically.

I think it would be a win win all the way around.  Only major hiccup I can see if getting 1 or 2 preseason games affecting revenue each year by team, but as long as it's set to 3 games every two years, I think it should be fine.

Archived