How the NFL should get to an 18 Game Schedule

ChaRisMa

6 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

You'd still be sitting in a cave and freezing, if we all followed your mantra. It is human nature to tweak things, whether it is rules, tactics, games, locations, whatever. You call 16 games 'plenty', but if an 18 game season had two less preseason games and two bye weeks, that is mitigated.

not all change is good. some changes make things worse instead of making things better. whether or not a characteristic is part of human nature doesn't automatically make something good. humanity has pursued plenty of destructive ideas in pursuit of perfection. and 'mitigating' drawbacks is not removing drawbacks, so the drawbacks could still be worse than the benefits. 

8 hours ago, Scoremore said:

It's a violent sport and players wear down.  If a team is a wildcard and goes to the Superbowl you are talking 20 games already.  24 including preseason.  Used to be 12 games back in the day.  16 is already pushing it.  I wouldn't extend the season and also would allow teams to carry more players on the active roster perhaps 58 instead of 53.  The players union would never go for either 18 games or expanding the roster.  Best just to leave it alone.  

The players union will oppose making more money and more members for their union simultaneously? While no individual already in it has to do anything more than they already do?

8 hours ago, squire12 said:

The season currently starts the weekend after Labor Day.  Not sure the NFL wants to move that up a week.  Adding a week at the end of the season would be the way to go.  Not sure if the issue would be the SuperBowl being Mid February and running into other sport seasons?  

Subtract one preseason game. Turn that into a bye week. Add two weeks to the season, you are talking about middle of hockey and basketball season.... Not a lot of competition considering neither of those leagues is even a good watch until the playoffs. 

If they play two extra games they should get paid two extra games, the owners make more and trust me you add 2/16ths more to a players wallet they will all of a sudden be ok with it. It's all about money, it always is. 

2 hours ago, cooters22 said:

If they play two extra games they should get paid two extra games, the owners make more and trust me you add 2/16ths more to a players wallet they will all of a sudden be ok with it. It's all about money, it always is. 

But they are putting themselves at higher risk each year. They will argue the NFL should pay them a higher percentage or offer other considerations.

10 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

not all change is good. some changes make things worse instead of making things better. whether or not a characteristic is part of human nature doesn't automatically make something good. humanity has pursued plenty of destructive ideas in pursuit of perfection. and 'mitigating' drawbacks is not removing drawbacks, so the drawbacks could still be worse than the benefits. 

Equally, not all change is bad and some changes make things better, or at least different. Drawing a line in the sand and declaring "this is how it should always be", flies in the face of history - games DO change over time and the game played in the mid 1900's is very different to the game played today. The number of games played has changed before and teams have adapted to it.  For me, this is less about how good an idea a change is, and more about how to deal with the challenges, if it comes to pass.

I'll give you an analogy with disposable razors. The public wants them to be built well, so they will stay sharp and last. The owners (company chiefs in this scenario) want razors to go from sharp to blunt as quickly as possibly (so the public buy more of their product). What the public wants, is not what they get.

Anything that increases NFL revenue will be looked at closely by owners, so if the league does choose to go the way of 17 or 18 games, it IS worth looking at the things that can be done to minimise the impact of the extra wear and tear on bodies. If the owners want the change, then we will not be able to stop it any more than King Canute, sat on his throne on the shoreline can command the tide not to come in. The player's association has more power, but when owners want them to agree with something there is usually some kind of deal hammered out, because as @cooters22 said, the bottom line is often about money.

Personally, I would prefer they drop back to 14 games, give every team 3 bye weeks, and add back more padded practices where the OL and other contact positions can practice their trade.

For me, the quality of the product has declined with the limitations on practice, and the seemingly increasing numbers of injuries.  As it is right now, the opening 53 is almost meaningless because you can count on a significant number of key players missing time.

An 18 game season will only make this worse.

I know that money drives process, so what I suggest here will never happen.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but if I was the NFL, I'd go to an 18 game season, cut 2 preseason games, and give every team 3 bye weeks. This would increase the calendar in which games are played by 2 weeks. 

You'd get to roughly the same gate revenue (slight premium on having another regular season game per team), but by expanding the season 2 weekends and smart scheduling (the extra bye weeks) you are gaining 2 weekends of games which you could use in TV contract negotiation (increases the amount of weeks 8%). More time slots of games via smart scheduling = more tv revenue. You'd have on average 13-14 games a weekend which is enough to properly schedule. I bet they could easily get an extra 6% on their TV contracts if they did this. Sunday/Monday nights I usually at least have games on in the background no matter whos playing.

Also, by adding more bye weeks, you could get better quality football. It is a win for everyone

The NFL already has an 18 game season, its called the playoffs. Perhaps you've heard of it ?

16 game regular season is just perfect the way it is.

We don't need more crapola games played by crapola teams.

You have to earn the right to play more.... and a 4-12 squad hasn't earned jack diddly squat

15 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

The NFL already has an 18 game season, its called the playoffs. Perhaps you've heard of it ?

16 game regular season is just perfect the way it is.

We don't need more crapola games played by crapola teams.

You have to earn the right to play more.... and a 4-12 squad hasn't earned jack diddly squat

The only earning the NFL cares about is money, the 18 game schedule they want has nothing to do with teams. They want 6 more primetime football games. 

It's not like Charisma is the one bringing up the 18 game schedule for the first time. Goodell has wanted this for years and years.

Not sure what the Owners/Players cut is on revenue - I think its something like 45%  has to go towards the players - not sure - but from the player perspective they should be all against the increased schedule - unless, that cut gets jacked up and more heads towards them.

The reason NFL players look longingly at the $$$ being pulled down by middle of the road talents/contributors in the NBA - is roster size. The NFL's got the largest rosters in all the land - less available on average to the individual player - the NBA, the smallest rosters. So if an increased schedule means the rosters have to expand again - that might mean job security (of a sort) to more players - but a smaller cut of that revenue pie.

Personally I dont care what they do (a whole bunch) - but overall I think seasons have gotten too long. The NBA's a joke. Everybody publicly claims no games count till after....February....and you're getting luke warm efforts in alot of games and baseball (in all their infinite wisdom) now has seasons beginning and ending when snow is falling and temps are in the 40's.  It's kinda tough to hit the ball when you're wearing a down jacket.

I've not read through this but my two cents. The players union should push to go back to a 14 game schedule. I know that will never happen, but the game has gotten so violent as the players are so much bigger, stronger and faster. The human body can only take so much. They need to do this even if they can reasonably limit the head trauma through new rules. I don't know how they do that with offensive and defensive linemen however without ruining the game. 

Long story short, the game we are watching today is going to be a shell of the game we are going to see in 10 years. I am not sure it will be entertaining and the goose that keeps laying the golden egg is about to die. 

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 2:28 PM, ChaRisMa said:

What do you think is stopping them from doing that right now? Like seriously they can make that happen, and make more money. I’m gonna watch different games during the bye week. There’s advertising dollars there if they want it. The players health benefits. Everyone’s family lives stand to benefit. Is it just a fear of the season being longer?

Just adding a second bye week and keeping it at 16 games makes sense from every possible viewpoint. More MNF and SNF,  another week for players to recover from injuries, no extra games, the season finishing a week later with a week rest mean possibly some IR players may not have to go to IR. Season is pretty short compared to other sports. 

Archived