How the NFL should get to an 18 Game Schedule

ChaRisMa

On Friday, July 06, 2018 at 11:31 AM, Shanedorf said:

The NFL already has an 18 game season, its called the playoffs. Perhaps you've heard of it ?

16 game regular season is just perfect the way it is.

We don't need more crapola games played by crapola teams.

You have to earn the right to play more.... and a 4-12 squad hasn't earned jack diddly squat

They don't really care about your opinion, it's all about money. They don't make jack**** on tv revenue in the preseason, so they'll cut 2 preseason games and add 2 regular season games. Trust me it will get done. They will give the players more piece of the pie and IT WILL get done. Don't matter if you don't like it, I don't like it, Aaron Rodgers don't like it, IT WILL get done.

2 hours ago, cooters22 said:

They don't really care about your opinion, it's all about money. They don't make jack**** on tv revenue in the preseason, so they'll cut 2 preseason games and add 2 regular season games. Trust me it will get done. They will give the players more piece of the pie and IT WILL get done. Don't matter if you don't like it, I don't like it, Aaron Rodgers don't like it, IT WILL get done.

^This.

The more the sportswriters on ESPN and FS1 keep talking about it, the more likely it'll happen. The rosters will also be expanded in order to adapt to more games as well. I'd guess that they'd expand to 60 with 55 players suited. It could easily be done for not a lot of extra money if any extra at all given the revenue for two extra games.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

^This.

The more the sportswriters on ESPN and FS1 keep talking about it, the more likely it'll happen. The rosters will also be expanded in order to adapt to more games as well. I'd guess that they'd expand to 60 with 55 players suited. It could easily be done for not a lot of extra money if any extra at all given the revenue for two extra games.

Agreed.

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

I don't like the idea of a 18-16 game schedule, but IF the NFL owners went that direction, they would have to increase the roster. And even if they did increase the roster, who would play those extra two games? Backups? So wouldn't they be like preseason games anyway? Let's say Team A (a mediocre team, but maybe could squeak into the playoffs) has to play Team B (a Super Bowl favorite). Why wouldn't Team A give its starters a rest that week and save them for the next week when they might have a more winnable game? And what fan would want to attend that game? Team A's b-string against Team B's first stringers? Sounds like a game I would skip!

1 hour ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I don't like the idea of a 18-16 game schedule, but IF the NFL owners went that direction, they would have to increase the roster. And even if they did increase the roster, who would play those extra two games? Backups? So wouldn't they be like preseason games anyway? Let's say Team A (a mediocre team, but maybe could squeak into the playoffs) has to play Team B (a Super Bowl favorite). Why wouldn't Team A give its starters a rest that week and save them for the next week when they might have a more winnable game? And what fan would want to attend that game? Team A's b-string against Team B's first stringers? Sounds like a game I would skip!

Yes increase rosters. Yes let Punters/Kickers play 18 games. They receive 12.5% raises (this is how much more work they are doing yearly). 

Who plays the extra two games? Well, I’m a lot of cases—the starters. Only 3 Packers starters appeared in all 16 games (Linsley, Martinez, HHCD). Only 3 more made it through 15. So you have 16/22 starters game 18 and 19/22 starters game 17. That’s not bad.  I wish I knew what the average number of starts per player was. 

It’d be real football. You can alleviate some of the problems with star QBs sitting the last two weeks by scheduling only opposite conference games.

It would be bad strategy to sit healthy players. You’d be risking the opportunity to play.

My preference would be:

17 game schedule, 1 game at a neutral site (e.g. London, Mexico City, Wichita), extra game versus the opponent in the other conference who finished in the same position in their division among the divisions you are not lined up to play last year, this year, or next year, two bye weeks,  2 preseason games if you must have preseason games (I don't know if "eliminating the preseason entirely" would be a major loss, to be honest.)

This is just grandstanding by the owners. The players will demand guaranteed contracts. The owners will demand 18 games. 

Negotiations will start from there and then finally move to the one thing both sides care about for real, what percentage of football revenue will players make.

Archived