How the NFL should get to an 18 Game Schedule

ChaRisMa

1 hour ago, RedRaider said:

The one thing I don't think has been addressed is how do they determine who the other two teams are that get added to the schedule. Right now you play:

6 Division Games

4 Games against another Conference Division that rotates year to year. 

4 Games against an apposite Division that rotates year to year.

2 Non-division conference games that feature a team that placed equal to you last year that are not from the division in which you play all 4 teams.

If we add two more games I assume that you add two more from the non-division conference pool.  For example this year the Packers play the 6 Division Games, the NFC West, The AFC east,  the Redskins (NFC East 3rd place team) and the Falcons (NFC South 3rd Place team).  If it were an 18 game season they would also play the 4th place NFC South and East Teams to get to 18.  The first and second place teams would play each other in this instance.  

You just round robin 2 games against opposing conference teams. You play an extra half division each year. 4 team divisions make this pretty straight forward.

5 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

NFL is entertainment, produced by entertainment giants. And the winning formula they use in the movies and TV shows... and football games... is to pimp the Leading Men. The stars of the game. Rodgers vs Brady !!!!

So what happens when the Stars sit ?  it just makes this junior varsity football - same as preseason.
Robert Kraft famously said: " Going to see the Patriots without Tom Brady is like watching Lethal Weapon, without Mel Gibson"

I don't see dilution as the solution, but I will freely admit, I don't see a "problem" with 16 regular season games either. And I'm reluctant to change the game even more just to feed the insatiable greed of a few owners. 16 is plenty, playoffs are fine.

Quit ******* around with the game... B|

You aren’t seeing any less Brady. You have the option to see him play more if injuries sit him a couple weeks.

Yes, there will be some bad games at the end. But only 14 QBs played all 16 games. Half the league has another two weeks to squeeze some wins out of their starters because they weren’t so lucky on the injury front. Executives would love that. Players can get their numbers or experience. Coaches can evaluate long term guys. Everyone is still facing the same challenges.

Injured is unavoidable and we have to accept that as fans. Purposefully playing the junior varsity wouldn't be up to NFL standards - the line that Roger loves to recite in front of a microphone. I don't ever want to trade quality for quantity.

Kudos for your work here, no sale for me.

Just now, Shanedorf said:

Injured is unavoidable and we have to accept that as fans. Purposefully playing the junior varsity wouldn't be up to NFL standards - the line that Roger loves to recite in front of a microphone. I don't ever want to trade quality for quantity.

Kudos for your work here, no sale for me.

I'm not even sold on it myself. But I am the kind of guy who will tune into Hundley v. Kizer if 90% of the other players are capable.

How would the TV packages want to work with this?   Since most of the NFL revenue comes from the TV deals, is NBC/FOX, etc going to pony up more $$ for the possibility that a SNF or MNF, prime time game is Hundley vs Kiser (or insert your favorite back up QB whipping boy).

Just now, ChaRisMa said:

I'm not even sold on it myself. But I am the kind of guy who will tune into Hundley v. Kizer if 90% of the other players are capable.

But it is likely that teams will sit their OL as a unit (or good percentages of them) in the same game.  

How do you account for players playing 50% of the teams snaps?  Did not start, but are the 4th CB and get a lot of snaps based on game script or other factors.  Are they required to sit a game or do they play all 18?

5 minutes ago, squire12 said:

But it is likely that teams will sit their OL as a unit (or good percentages of them) in the same game.  

How do you account for players playing 50% of the teams snaps?  Did not start, but are the 4th CB and get a lot of snaps based on game script or other factors.  Are they required to sit a game or do they play all 18?

Sit 2, either via injury or coaches decision or already played in 16 games. Only 6 defenders (so out of the 26 players) played in 16 games for us last year. And only Martinez and HHCD would be missed. Only 3 more played in 15 games for us, and the only one you'd care to have was Clark. Otherwise, you are getting 2 more games on defense from everyone else.

Offensively, only Corey Linsley started 16 games. McCray and Allison played in 16. We used 11 different starting offensive line combinations. Only Taylor, Cobb, Nelson played in 15 games last year. 

So by the time you've sat those guys for when they could use it during the other weeks, its just another week with the usual amount of starters sitting.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived