World Cup Knockout Round 7/1- Spain v Russia

drd23

Spain (Group B 1) vs Russia (Group A 2) @ 14:00 GMT (10am US EDT)

The third match-up in the Round of 16 is between the 2010 World Cup winners, Spain, and the hosts in Russia.

Spain:

spain.png

One of the major favourites heading into the tournament, Spain were involved in one of the most exciting matches in the first round of group games against Portugal, before getting lucky against Iran and just did enough to scrape a draw against Morocco.  Their attacking play, which will be lead by Isco and Andres Iniesta, will be the typical possession-based style we've come to know from Spain since the early/mid 2000s, with the occassional hoof forward to frontman Diego Costa.  It is expected that Koke will start in central midfield to provide a bit more defensive ability to help cover for the potential lapses/attacking forays by the full backs and Sergio Ramos.  De Gea is guaranteed to start in goal despite his mistakes.

Costa-AP.jpg

Russia

russia.png

Russia were hugely impressive in the first game of the tournament, beating Saudi Arabia 5-0, although the cynics out there may suggest that the result might not hold up to scrutiny.  Denis Cheryshev was the star of that game.  Aided by rumoured Chelsea target Aleksandr Golovin who has played well throughout their 3 games so far, Russia will need to be content to sit back and defend well and then pick their moments when to attack to exploit potential lapses in defense from the full backs who are likely to push forward.  Set pieces might be their other prime opportunity to score, especially if they continue to start massive target man Artem Dzyuba. 

vi5tjeuqivwelft2exli.jpg

Prediction:

On group stage performance alone you'd have to pick Russia but I can't go past the technical superiority of the Spaniards combined with the physicality of Diego Costa up front.  Spain to win 2-1

Iniesta and Thiago have been dropped with Asensio and Koke coming. Interesting to drop Iniesta, he's been phenomenal. I'm guessing Spain think they can rest him against Russia which is a bold thing to do in the knockout rounds. 

Russia: Akinfeev; Fernandes, Kutepov, Iganshevich, Kudriashov, Zhirkov; Kuziaev, Zobnin, Samedov, Golovin; Dzyuba

Subs: Semenov, Cheryshev, Gazinskii, Dzagoev, Smolov, Lunev, Granat, Al Miranchuk, An Miranchuk, Gabulov, Erokhin

Spain: De Gea; Nacho, Pique, Ramos, Alba; Koke, Busquets; Silva, Isco, Asensio; Costa

Subs: Kepa, Reina, Carvajal, Iniesta, Alcantara, Odriozola, Azpilicueta, Niguez, Vazquez, Machado, Aspas

18 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

Iniesta and Thiago have been dropped with Asensio and Koke coming.

That's surprising.  I would have dropped David Silva for Asensio instead, and actually said as much the day after this match-up was confirmed

2 minutes ago, drd23 said:

That's surprising.  I would have dropped David Silva for Asensio instead, and actually said as much the day after this match-up was confirmed

I would guess they're concerned with over working Iniesta but I would agree, Iniesta has been better than Silva so far. 

Archived