World Cup Knockout Round 7/2- Brazil vs Mexico

drd23

Brazil (Group E 1) vs Mexico (Group F 2) @ 14:00 GMT (10am US EDT)

The early match-up on the third day of the Round of 16 sees a Brazil desperate to make amends for 2014 against CONCACAFs best who are looking to break their run of exits at this stage of the competition.  

Brazil:

Brazil-logo-dream-league-soccer.png?fit=

Neymar-Coutinho-June2018.jpg

Brazil had a rocky start to the group stage with a 1-1 draw against Switzerland, before improving to be fairly impressive in their final game against Serbia.  This improvement seemed to coincide with Neymar stopping trying to create everything and dribble past everyone and allow the other capable players in the game, and Phillip Coutinho in particular, to take up some of that slack.  Coutinho saved them against Switzerland and provided a lot of attacking drive in their other two games, scoring against Costa Rica and assisting in the Serbia game, and will need to play well again.  The manager, Tite, will have some selection headaches with both fullbacks in doubt - Danilo missed their last game and Marcelo exited after only 10 minutes with a back injury - and Douglas Costa still injured.

Mexico:

Mexico-icon.png

180617170536-hirving-lozano-mexico-germa

Mexico have made it to, and failed to win, a round of 16 match in the last six World Cups.  In contrast to the Brazilians, El Tri's form line headed in the wrong direction in the group stage.  They began with a masterful game against Germany where their plan to hit them on the break should have ended in a larger victory than the 1-0 result in the books, before beating the South Koreans.  However it is the terrible performance in their final group game against Sweden, where they put themselves in danger of missing the knockout stages all together that will have caused a lot of concern.  Mexico will need Carlos Vela, Chicharito and the wonderkid Hirving Lozano to take what chances come their way, while hoping that Layun, Herrera and a rejigged defense (covering for the suspension of Hector Moreno) can contain Neymar, Coutinho and Gabriel Jesus.

Prediction:

I'm not expecting Mexico to break their winless streak in the knockout rounds this year.  I just don't see how a similar gameplan to that employed against the Germans will work as successfully given how well Casemiro plays as the holding midfielder, and I don't see their profligacy in front of goal changing much either.  Brazil 2-1

35 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

I've never been a bigger Mexico fan than right now. Brazil, Spain and Germany going out would be incredible. 

It would leave Uruguay, England and France as the only past winners left in the tournament. Could be down to two by Weds.

6 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

No surprises from either side really.

Brave to start Marquez though, considering he's 85.

Especially since it's his first appearance of the tournament. That's a bold call against a quick Brazil team. 

17 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

It would leave Uruguay, England and France as the only past winners left in the tournament. Could be down to two by Weds.

That would be amazing. Uruguay and England would feel like new winners as well since it's been so long. It would be great to have a bit of a shakeup. 

2 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

Especially since it's his first appearance of the tournament. That's a bold call against a quick Brazil team. 

First start*

Guess they just want that extra shield in front of the back four. Hope it doesn't affect their effectiveness up front.

Perhaps this is a consequence of the Sweden result too.

4 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

That would be amazing. Uruguay and England would feel like new winners as well since it's been so long. It would be great to have a bit of a shakeup. 

52 years, don't remind me!

10 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

First start*

Guess they just want that extra shield in front of the back four. Hope it doesn't affect their effectiveness up front.

Perhaps this is a consequence of the Sweden result too.

You're correct, my mistake. I definitely think the Sweden result is on their mind. There should be space to counter with Brazil likely pushing the fullbacks forward like Germany. Filipe Luis is much attentive to his defensive duties, him starting could actually be a bit of a blessing in disguise for Brazil.

Archived