2018 NFL Draft QB Prospects (Info, Rankings, Talk, Etc.)

Mind Character

***I'm assuming all posts/threads on the old version of the forum will be deleted soon after 8/12. With that in mind, I'm reposting this thread topic here as the topic will likely be relevant for future discussion. If this is out of line, my apologies to the mods*******

The 2018 QB Class

Wanted to start a thread for info and discussion on next year's guys. Let the discussion begin!!!

I'm multiple games in on various prospects and the 2018 QB class is filled with what I think are 5 Franchise QB types, 2 of them (Sam Darnold and Luke Falk) with immediate Day 1 Franchise QB impact and being on a different level in terms of overall skill for elite QB play than the other 3 (Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Riley Ferguson) that possess major franchise QB upside but have more glaring deficiencies or limitations in their game that may ultimately prevent them from ascending to blue chip franchise QB status. After watching 8 games, I feel that people don't even know about Luke Falk's special play ability and how it is on the level of Darnold, albeit with less superior arm talent. I think Luke Falk is the guy that Hue has been looking for, and he is the guy that I want next year. If the players remain healthy, Sam Darnold and Josh Allen will go 1 and 2 b/c they have superior arm tools and look the part more than Falk. So, tons of teams will be fighting to get one of those guys. I'd love to get one of them, but I say let the other teams go after them at the top of the board, and maybe Falk falls to us assuming we pick somewhere from 5-7 after winning 4 or 5 games this upcoming season.

Tier 1--Blue-chip QB1, Day 1 Franchise QB:

1a.Sam Darnold, USC (8 games watched):
The Good: Uncanny poise, foot quickness, and power arm in the face of exterior and interior pressure. Pocket movement skills advanced. Elite deep ball velocity and pinpoint accuracy. Uncanny anticipation thrower instincts for such a young QB. See's it and processes early and has the confidence to let it rip before the WR is open.
The Bad: Tries to guide throws in at times instead of ripping it leading to poor mechanics and spotty inaccuracy. Jump shuffles a la Aaron rodgers but unlike Rodgers Darnold doesn't maintain a wide base so often finds himself out of rhythm on timing throws when outside pressure is beating down on him.

1b. Luke Falk, Wash. St.(10 games watched):
The Good: Elite poise, elite pocket movement under pressure. Routinely back shoulders when the CB is over the top. Great vision. Protypical pass set and shuffle rhythm where feet are always ready for a mechanically sound throw. Really spins it. Mike Leach's system has evolved and puts a ton of offensive line adjustments and receiver changing of routes at the line in the QBs hand---Faulk signals quickly and seems to diagnose the defense quickly. Self made walk on player that can take hard coaching.
The Bad: Fades in the pocket and throws off back foot too often. Sometimes short arms throws over the middle. Multiple games where defensive pressure had no chance to get to him due to great offensive scheming. Not sure about his knowledge in blitz pick up. A lot of five wide sets...would love to see him under center.

Tier 2- Franchise QB Upside:

3. Josh Rosen, UCLA:(10 games watched)
The Good: Sidenote--will be the most misunderstood prospect when people finally start to watch him and realize his game doesn't always "jump off the tape." Those that have heard all the hype that he's the next Luck-type will be shocked at his lack of major arm strength and will in a reactionary fashion call him "overhyped, the next Matt Leinart, and not good." They'll miss that although he's not Luck what he is, is the best technicien in terms of pocket movement work and throws with uncanny anticipation on the level of phillip rivers coming out of college. The best pinpoint ball placement on drive routes with timing. More pinpoint accurate and better anticipatory thrower version of Andy Dalton. Constantly puts the ball in places to maximize run after catch and to protect the WR.
The Bad: Arm strength is uneven and often marginal. Slow-footed athlete. Decision-making seizes up under pressure. Holds the ball too long waiting for the primary receiver to come open instead of moving on to the net read. Tends to stare things down too much. Needs a sturdier front foot when inside pressure comes as a result he tends to fade when perceiving pressure with the result being inaccurate passes.

4. Josh Allen, Wyoming (7 games watched):
The Good: More deep ball power velocity than Mahomes. A-plus athlete. Rare Unicorn type throws outside the pocket. What he does in terms of throwing the ball outside the pocket on the run is a notch above Mahomes and Manziel and more in line with Rodgers in terms of fitting the ball in the smallest of windows on the sideline.
The Bad: Some of the worst late throw interceptions of all time. Inconsistent decision maker. Believes no throw is impossible. Over strides and poor mechanics lead to the ball sailing. Flees the pocket too soon. Poise is great on one play than really bad next. When he runs cold, it can be hard to watch as there becomes a snowballing of poor decisions.

5. Riley Ferguson, Memphis: (8 games watched)[/u]
The Good: Ultra competitor. Can be a force on the field with his competitive spirit to the point where his teammates come alive on the sideline and raise their level of play in critical moments based on his energy. Gunslinger in the truest of senses. Deep ball bucket thrower extraordinaire.
The Bad: Pocket movement and footwork is underdeveloped and inconsistent. Not a great anticipation thrower. Needs to be in the West-Coast two read Deep to Boundary offense as he struggles with opposite side of the field 1,2 progression reading. Escapes to run from the blitz instead of trying to win in the pocket. Would be perfect in Saints offense as Drew Brees successor.

Tier 4: Developmental Starter with Good Tools and Traits

6. Lamar Jackson, Louisville
The Good: Beyond elite running ability there is some overlooked Big time arm talent. All his throws are all whipped arm from the upper body as he has the worst lower body mechanics and narrow base in the history of football (overstated but it's awful). Does a good job stepping up in the pocket to throw.
The Bad: The most narrow base thrower in the history of the game. Basically up on his toes with no leverage or weight transfer from back to front leg.. Who the hell is not coaching him on this?? Narrow base with his feet together in his passing set lead to all inaccuracies, all misses.

7. Brett Rypien, Boise St.
The Good: Great anticipation thrower. Understands the proper footwork for pro-WR routes that allow perfect timing on velocity throws. Nice deep ball drop in the bucket thrower. Has a full grasp of the audible game and getting the offense out of bad situations.
The Bad: Arm strength may be a serious issue in the pro game. Needs to get the ball out faster in the redzone. Tends to hold onto the ball to avoid mistakes too often in the redzone foregoing plays that are there and need to be made. Needs to play more free and let it rip.

7. Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
The Good: When he's hot, he's a franchise changing QB with his blitz avoidance movement, ability to win inside and out the pocket, and deep ball accuracy.
The Bad: Hot and cold on decision making in the same quarter. Too inconsistent with footwork. Throws too many 50/50 balls.

Tier 5--Developmental QBs with Tools:

8. Mason Rudolph, Ok St.
The Good: Great sideline timing thrower. Good accuracy thrower on the deep post.
The Bad: Parachute on his deep ball. Doesn't respond to inside pressure with the ability to sidestep or move up to find a new platform to throw.

9. Quinton Flowers, USF
The Good: A gamer. Will be the biggest riser. David Garrard type with more explosive athleticism and big time arm. Clutch performer with the ability to win and slide in the pocket to throw on timing.
The Bad: Escapes pressure to run when remaining patient might provide a big time passing opportunity. Needs to work on throwing with anticipation

The Next 3: ---Need to watch more but saw some limitations that I didn't like.

12. Trace McSorley, PSU
13. Jake Browning, Washington
14. Jarrett Stidham, Auburn

All-Overrated But will get a lot of love
Drew Lock, Missouri: Feet in mud, statue, can't handle the rush.
Nick Fitzgerald, Miss St: Feet in mud, feet stuck under pressure, can only throw in a clean pocket

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2017 at 3:26 AM, Mind Character said:

***I'm assuming all posts/threads on the old version of the forum will be deleted soon after 8/12. With that in mind, I'm reposting this thread topic here as the topic will likely be relevant for future discussion. If this is out of line, my apologies to the mods*******

The 2018 QB Class

Wanted to start a thread for info and discussion on next year's guys. Let the discussion begin!!!

I'm multiple games in on various prospects and the 2018 QB class is filled with what I think are 5 Franchise QB types, 2 of them (Sam Darnold and Luke Falk) with immediate Day 1 Franchise QB impact and being on a different level in terms of overall skill for elite QB play than the other 3 (Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Riley Ferguson) that possess major franchise QB upside but have more glaring deficiencies or limitations in their game that may ultimately prevent them from ascending to blue chip franchise QB status. After watching 8 games, I feel that people don't even know about Luke Falk's special play ability and how it is on the level of Darnold, albeit with less superior arm talent. I think Luke Falk is the guy that Hue has been looking for, and he is the guy that I want next year. If the players remain healthy, Sam Darnold and Josh Allen will go 1 and 2 b/c they have superior arm tools and look the part more than Falk. So, tons of teams will be fighting to get one of those guys. I'd love to get one of them, but I say let the other teams go after them at the top of the board, and maybe Falk falls to us assuming we pick somewhere from 5-7 after winning 4 or 5 games this upcoming season.

Tier 1--Blue-chip QB1, Day 1 Franchise QB:

1a.Sam Darnold, USC (8 games watched):
The Good: Uncanny poise, foot quickness, and power arm in the face of exterior and interior pressure. Pocket movement skills advanced. Elite deep ball velocity and pinpoint accuracy. Uncanny anticipation thrower instincts for such a young QB. See's it and processes early and has the confidence to let it rip before the WR is open.
The Bad: Tries to guide throws in at times instead of ripping it leading to poor mechanics and spotty inaccuracy. Jump shuffles a la Aaron rodgers but unlike Rodgers Darnold doesn't maintain a wide base so often finds himself out of rhythm on timing throws when outside pressure is beating down on him.

1b. Luke Falk, Wash. St.(10 games watched):
The Good: Elite poise, elite pocket movement under pressure. Routinely back shoulders when the CB is over the top. Great vision. Protypical pass set and shuffle rhythm where feet are always ready for a mechanically sound throw. Really spins it. Mike Leach's system has evolved and puts a ton of offensive line adjustments and receiver changing of routes at the line in the QBs hand---Faulk signals quickly and seems to diagnose the defense quickly. Self made walk on player that can take hard coaching.
The Bad: Fades in the pocket and throws off back foot too often. Sometimes short arms throws over the middle. Multiple games where defensive pressure had no chance to get to him due to great offensive scheming. Not sure about his knowledge in blitz pick up. A lot of five wide sets...would love to see him under center.

Tier 2- Franchise QB Upside:

3. Josh Rosen, UCLA:(10 games watched)
The Good: Sidenote--will be the most misunderstood prospect when people finally start to watch him and realize his game doesn't always "jump off the tape." Those that have heard all the hype that he's the next Luck-type will be shocked at his lack of major arm strength and will in a reactionary fashion call him "overhyped, the next Matt Leinart, and not good." They'll miss that although he's not Luck what he is, is the best technicien in terms of pocket movement work and throws with uncanny anticipation on the level of phillip rivers coming out of college. The best pinpoint ball placement on drive routes with timing. More pinpoint accurate and better anticipatory thrower version of Andy Dalton. Constantly puts the ball in places to maximize run after catch and to protect the WR.
The Bad: Arm strength is uneven and often marginal. Slow-footed athlete. Decision-making seizes up under pressure. Holds the ball too long waiting for the primary receiver to come open instead of moving on to the net read. Tends to stare things down too much. Needs a sturdier front foot when inside pressure comes as a result he tends to fade when perceiving pressure with the result being inaccurate passes.

4. Josh Allen, Wyoming (7 games watched):
The Good: More deep ball power velocity than Mahomes. A-plus athlete. Rare Unicorn type throws outside the pocket. What he does in terms of throwing the ball outside the pocket on the run is a notch above Mahomes and Manziel and more in line with Rodgers in terms of fitting the ball in the smallest of windows on the sideline.
The Bad: Some of the worst late throw interceptions of all time. Inconsistent decision maker. Believes no throw is impossible. Over strides and poor mechanics lead to the ball sailing. Flees the pocket too soon. Poise is great on one play than really bad next. When he runs cold, it can be hard to watch as there becomes a snowballing of poor decisions.

5. Riley Ferguson, Memphis: (8 games watched)[/u]
The Good: Ultra competitor. Can be a force on the field with his competitive spirit to the point where his teammates come alive on the sideline and raise their level of play in critical moments based on his energy. Gunslinger in the truest of senses. Deep ball bucket thrower extraordinaire.
The Bad: Pocket movement and footwork is underdeveloped and inconsistent. Not a great anticipation thrower. Needs to be in the West-Coast two read Deep to Boundary offense as he struggles with opposite side of the field 1,2 progression reading. Escapes to run from the blitz instead of trying to win in the pocket. Would be perfect in Saints offense as Drew Brees successor.

Tier 4: Developmental Starter with Good Tools and Traits

6. Lamar Jackson, Louisville
The Good: Beyond elite running ability there is some overlooked Big time arm talent. All his throws are all whipped arm from the upper body as he has the worst lower body mechanics and narrow base in the history of football (overstated but it's awful). Does a good job stepping up in the pocket to throw.
The Bad: The most narrow base thrower in the history of the game. Basically up on his toes with no leverage or weight transfer from back to front leg.. Who the hell is not coaching him on this?? Narrow base with his feet together in his passing set lead to all inaccuracies, all misses.

7. Brett Rypien, Boise St.
The Good: Great anticipation thrower. Understands the proper footwork for pro-WR routes that allow perfect timing on velocity throws. Nice deep ball drop in the bucket thrower. Has a full grasp of the audible game and getting the offense out of bad situations.
The Bad: Arm strength may be a serious issue in the pro game. Needs to get the ball out faster in the redzone. Tends to hold onto the ball to avoid mistakes too often in the redzone foregoing plays that are there and need to be made. Needs to play more free and let it rip.

7. Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
The Good: When he's hot, he's a franchise changing QB with his blitz avoidance movement, ability to win inside and out the pocket, and deep ball accuracy.
The Bad: Hot and cold on decision making in the same quarter. Too inconsistent with footwork. Throws too many 50/50 balls.

Tier 5--Developmental QBs with Tools:

8. Mason Rudolph, Ok St.
The Good: Great sideline timing thrower. Good accuracy thrower on the deep post.
The Bad: Parachute on his deep ball. Doesn't respond to inside pressure with the ability to sidestep or move up to find a new platform to throw.

9. Quinton Flowers, USF
The Good: A gamer. Will be the biggest riser. David Garrard type with more explosive athleticism and big time arm. Clutch performer with the ability to win and slide in the pocket to throw on timing.
The Bad: Escapes pressure to run when remaining patient might provide a big time passing opportunity. Needs to work on throwing with anticipation

The Next 3: ---Need to watch more but saw some limitations that I didn't like.

12. Trace McSorley, PSU
13. Jake Browning, Washington
14. Jarrett Stidham, Auburn

All-Overrated But will get a lot of love
Drew Lock, Missouri: Feet in mud, statue, can't handle the rush.
Nick Fitzgerald, Miss St: Feet in mud, feet stuck under pressure, can only throw in a clean pocket

It looks like indeed Lamar Jackson has spent countless hours on creating a more natural passing base that isn't narrow and up on his tip-e-toes...he's also increased his weight and strength. If he keeps progressing at this rate in passing footwork mechanics he easily becomes the 4th QB....

My rankings won't change from week to week...however Lamar's improvement passing mechanics-wise  was so evident he has to jump some spots

Updated Top 7 Franchise QB potentials

1. Sam Darnold, (it's 1 week...we shall see)

2. Luke Falk, (waiting for people to start having this take...have a feeling it won't come true until senior bowl)

3. Josh Rosen, (it's 1 week...we shall see....but he's looking like QB1)

4. Lamar Jackson,

5. Josh Allen,

6. Riley Ferguson,

7. Baker Mayfield

Archived