World Cup Knockout Round 7/2 - Belgium vs Japan

drd23

Belgium (Group G 1) vs Japan (Group H 2) @ 18:00 GMT (2pm EDT)

The sixth game of the first round of the knockout phase sees an in-form Belgium that won all three games in the group phase face a Japanese team that finished their last game in arguably the most embarrassing fashion possible.

Belgium:

Belgium%20National%20Football%20Team%20L

SkeletalVainCowbird-size_restricted.gif

Tipped by many as a dark horse to win the World Cup prior to the tournament, Belgium lived up to that potential in group games against Tunisia and Panama, while playing some of the most exciting football and scoring the most goals in open play.  Lead by second leading scorer Romelu Lukaku, Eden Hazard and Kevin De Bruyne, they tore to shreds their less fancied opponents at times before Belgium sent out a second team against England in the final group game.  If there is are any potential weaknesses in this team, they would be Coutois' inconsistent recent form, potentially disrupting the back three (Kompany is reportedly fit again and might play) and the questionable coaching of Roberto Martinez.  

Japan:

Japan%20National%20Football%20Team%20Log

japan-cropped_bc0afy0j8bb31eokf7wc529r8.

Only having made it through to the next phase by virtue of having accrued less yellow cards than Senegal, Japan is not a well fancied team at this stage of the competition.  They struggled to beat Colombia in their first game despite scoring from a penalty after 6 minutes and playing against 10 men for the rest of the game and drew against Senegal before losing to a decidedly poor Poland where neither team seemed interested in playing the final 10 minutes.  Japan will most likely try to hit Belgium on the counter using the superb technical skill of players like Shinji Kagawa and the directness of Takashi Inui, who scored a great goal against Senegal and set up their other.

Prediction:

Despite the fact that Belgium has only won one of the last five games they've played against Japan (1W 2D 2L) I just don't see how Japan pulls this off. The round of 16 will be the final stop for the last Asian team in the tournament.  Belgium 3-0

Players who would be suspended with their next yellow card:

Belgium: Kevin De Bruyne, Thomas Meunier, Jan Vertonghen, Youri Tielemans, Leander Dendoncker
Japan: Eiji Kawashima, Takashi Inui, Makoto Hasebe, Tomoaki Makino

4 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Japan are awful. But then we thought the same of Russia.

Still can't see how they can contain Belgium.

I cant see a way that Belgium dont score from a set piece. They should be utterly dominant in the air. 

7 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

I cant see a way that Belgium dont score from a set piece. They should be utterly dominant in the air. 

I certainly hope so.

As much as I'm all for the little guys Japan rank 2nd on my list of bastardly tactics behind Panama.

So go Belgium!

Archived