Antonio Brown V Larry Fitzgerald

mdonnelly21

31 members have voted

1. 1. Better WR during prime...

• Larry Fitzgerald
    • Antonio Brown

I find this to be one hard question....

Larry Fitzgerald in the 09 playoffs was Jerry Rice esque...

And still going strong today...

Obviously AB has a while to go in terms of career for a LF who's older, but I feel the peak of their primes are rather close at this point. 

And if AB continues to this path for a few more years one could make a case AB will surpass LF on the all time list. 

1 hour ago, mdonnelly21 said:

but I feel the peak of their primes are rather close at this point.

Larry's best 5 year peak 2007-2011:

• Receptions - 463
  • Yards - 6480
  • Touchdowns - 49
  • Catch percentage - 57.80%
  • Fumbles - 4

AB's best 5 year peak 2013-2017:

• Receptions - 582
  • Yards - 7848
  • Touchdowns - 52
  • Catch percentage - 67.83%
  • Fumbles - 5

Brown has 26% more receptions and 21% more yards. Touchdowns and fumbles are pretty close. Catch % is greatly in favor of AB.

Not doing the actual math, but it looks like dropping to a 4 or 3 year comparison will only exacerbate AB's advantages. Going to 6 only makes up 3 receptions, 159 more yards and a TD for Fitz, and gives AB 2 more fumbles, and will shorten the completion % gap. Going to 7 years will give Fitz a lead in touchdowns by 9, and shorten the completion gap even more, but AB will still have the lead in yards and receptions.

Of course, these are just stats.

Larry Fitzgerald is a really underrated WR from a career/all time perspective, but in terms of prime, I still think AB has him, and most WR's ever, beat. And I don't think AB has really finished his prime.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TXsteeler said:

Larry's best 5 year peak 2007-2011:

• Receptions - 463
  • Yards - 6480
  • Touchdowns - 49
  • Catch percentage - 57.80%
  • Fumbles - 4

AB's best 5 year peak 2013-2017:

• Receptions - 582
  • Yards - 7848
  • Touchdowns - 52
  • Catch percentage - 67.83%
  • Fumbles - 5

Brown has 26% more receptions and 21% more yards. Touchdowns and fumbles are pretty close. Catch % is greatly in favor of AB.

Not doing the actual math, but it looks like dropping to a 4 or 3 year comparison will only exacerbate AB's advantages. Going to 6 only makes up 3 receptions, 159 more yards and a TD for Fitz, and gives AB 2 more fumbles, and will shorten the completion % gap. Going to 7 years will give Fitz a lead in touchdowns by 9, and shorten the completion gap even more, but AB will still have the lead in yards and receptions.

Of course, these are just stats.

Larry Fitzgerald is a really underrated WR from a career/all time perspective, but in terms of prime, I still think AB has him, and most WR's ever, beat. And I don't think AB has really finished his prime.

Nice breakdown. 

Yeah AB if he continues this could soon start to enter the discussion in terms of consistency like a Jerry Rice...In terms of the length prime....

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

Fitz, man. His stats will always be deflated because of the hot mess of QBs he’s had for a majority of his career.

Larry Fitzgerald's best 3 season run was 2007-2009, when he had Kurt Warner as a QB. During that 3 year span, Kurt played in 45 games and had a completion percentage of 65.4%, a TD percentage of 5.3%, an INT percentage of 2.9%, a Y/A of 7.5, and a rating of 93.6.

Antonio Brown's best 3 season run so far has been 2014-2016 when he had Ben as a QB. During that 3 year span, Ben played in 42 games and had a completion percentage of 66.5%, a TD percentage of 5.2%, an INT percentage of 2.4% a Y/A of 8, and a rating of 98.2.

Ben has a small advantage in his span, mainly because he threw for about 950 more yards and threw 7 less interceptions on 24 more completions, but overall, the QB skill was probably similar.

Larry averaged 98 receptions, 1311 yards, 12 touchdowns a 61.81% catch rate, and a fumble, over 47 games.

AB averaged 124 receptions, 1605 yards, 12 touchdowns, a 70.27% catch rate, and 1.25 fumbles, over 47 games.

Of course you could argue that that wasn't really Larry's prime but you can't tell because his future QBs were just so garbage, and I can't argue for or against that besides admitting that it's likely the truth, Larry's best 3 seasons came from 24-26, whereas AB was 26-28 for his best 3.

13 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Fitz, man. His stats will always be deflated because of the hot mess of QBs he’s had for a majority of his career.

Not to mention that even though both are still playing the physicality of the game was different for Fitzgerald early on

• 4 years later...

I recall a similar debate threat last year with the same two players, and that was when I thought Antonio Brown is a total nut job, and I think he is an absolute and complete nut job now and that totally taints his entire career.  What he did most recently is not even a surprise.

You have those that say at his best he is better, but ultimately who cares, he completely wasted the ladder half of his career and is freaking insane literally.  

On 7/12/2022 at 7:40 PM, biggie. said:

People have really forgotten how dominant and terrifying Fitz was.

2009 Playoffs was more dominant than anything that AB has ever done by a small amount. AB will go down as a the greater WR of all time though because of consistency. 

On 7/14/2022 at 11:10 PM, mdonnelly21 said:

2009 Playoffs was more dominant than anything that AB has ever done by a small amount. AB will go down as a the greater WR of all time though because of consistency. 

Yeah, I'd agree with this. Fitz played out of his mind for one playoff run. But really AB's average level of play was just consistently higher throughout his career. Before AB lost his mind, he was probably the one receiver who actually had a chance to make a decent run at some Rice stats if he could stay on the field. Obviously he blew that, but it's a testament to the type of WR he was.

• Like 1