Picking the spot you draft, what is your strategy?

For the last decade we have done some sort of random way of picking draft positions either boring like names from a hat or winning a game/sport but the point is if you win, you pick the spot you draft instead of immediately being given #1 automatically. So my question for you is, what would your strategy be in picking the perfect spot for you to draft?

Here is my theory that has yielded good results(assuming no one gets hurt)

I try and see how many players I'd be okay drafting in round 1, then round 2(they can be seen as tiers too) etc(for this example I'd say 12 team league)

If i have 9 1st rounders, 11 2nd rounders and 10 3rd rounders. That is a total of 30 players and i can be guaranteed 3 of them in the 1st 3 rounds drafting at spot 5 or 6. That is assuming that my Top-30 is the same Top-30 as everyone else and that is not necessarily true. So i am guaranteed to get 1 of my 1st round values, 1 2nd and 1 3rd but it is possible to get 2 1sts or 2 2nds if people draft others

This year particularly, I wouldn't want the No. 1 pick in a fantasy draft because there are so many ways that the No. 1 pick could go, and the No. 1 won't pick again until everybody else has two selections. There are several guys in my mind (Todd Gurley II, Le'Veon Bell, David Johnson, etc.) who could be worth the first overall pick, so I wouldn't want to have to pick one knowing I don't have a great chance of picking the best guy and then not pick again for a while. Ideally, I'd want to pick 5th or so in a 12-man league so as to get a bona fide Tier I talent and still be able to pick up a WR1 or RB1 in the second round. 

12 hours ago, AlNFL19 said:

This year particularly, I wouldn't want the No. 1 pick in a fantasy draft because there are so many ways that the No. 1 pick could go, and the No. 1 won't pick again until everybody else has two selections. There are several guys in my mind (Todd Gurley II, Le'Veon Bell, David Johnson, etc.) who could be worth the first overall pick, so I wouldn't want to have to pick one knowing I don't have a great chance of picking the best guy and then not pick again for a while. Ideally, I'd want to pick 5th or so in a 12-man league so as to get a bona fide Tier I talent and still be able to pick up a WR1 or RB1 in the second round. 

Does David Johnson concern you at all?

12 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Does David Johnson concern you at all?

A little. Not a lot. The guy almost hit 2,000 scrimmage yards and 20 TDs the year before last. I don't think a wrist injury should slow him down all that much. I also have my skepticism about Gurley and Bell for whatever reason, so I think Johnson might be worth a similar pick. 

I typically want to pick as soon as possible in a snake draft. If you do point projections, you’ll see that mathematically you are just about always further ahead but just taking first overall. 

The downside of picking #1 is that you have a tougher time taking risk because of the huge gaps between your picks. I typically tier positions and use ADP to help determine that I get value at each slot. 

On 7/11/2018 at 9:42 AM, sammymvpknight said:

I typically want to pick as soon as possible in a snake draft. If you do point projections, you’ll see that mathematically you are just about always further ahead but just taking first overall. 

The downside of picking #1 is that you have a tougher time taking risk because of the huge gaps between your picks. I typically tier positions and use ADP to help determine that I get value at each slot. 

I use ADP to determine (sort of) who other people will take. If i have a guy ranked 50th that has an ADP of 70, i likely will take him in the mid 50s if i dont have a pick again until the late 60s

• 4 weeks later...

@keysersoze3421 whats your take on this?

I really want to wind up with 2 legit picks and i need 1 of them to be a RB

I figured if i can get 2 of the below then i am set up nicely. Thoughts? What about you @SimsZilla and @sammymvpknight?

Gurley

Bell

Johnson

Zeke

Hunt

Barkley

Kamara

Brown

Hopkins

Cooks

Julio

ODB

Gordon

Fournette

33 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

@keysersoze3421 whats your take on this?

I really want to wind up with 2 legit picks and i need 1 of them to be a RB

I figured if i can get 2 of the below then i am set up nicely. Thoughts? What about you @SimsZilla and @sammymvpknight?

Gurley

Bell

Johnson

Zeke

Hunt

Barkley

Kamara

Brown

Hopkins

Cooks

Julio

ODB