Scout

Bosa v Olivee  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Better NFL Player

• Nick Bosa
    • Ed Oliver

6 hours ago, tom cody said:

Nick Bosa for me.

Why? Oliver was in the backfield on like every single play facing double and triple teams. Bosa was rarely doubled. Yeah, he's great, but Oliver's tape is literally nuts.

If you look at the stats, Oliver won't match Bosa because he plays inside. But in terms of who will create more chaos? I'm taking Oliver pretty easily.

On the surface I said Oliver (as an OSU fan) but this a harder question than most think. Bosa has been every bit as good as his brother who is pretty much an All-Pro and you can pretty much bank on him being good, with Oliver you have physical skills that have never been seen in the league (even with Donald), we can all assume he'll be good but we just don't know enough to take to the bank. Just a thought 

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

with Oliver you have physical skills that have never been seen in the league (even with Donald)

I just don't know if that's quite true. I'm sure Oliver is an extremely impressive athlete, but Donald had one of the all time great Combine performances for a DT. I like Oliver, but I'm not 100% convinced he's going to be great in the NFL. I think he'll be very good, but Donald is just on another level.

2 hours ago, reamer said:

I just don't know if that's quite true. I'm sure Oliver is an extremely impressive athlete, but Donald had one of the all time great Combine performances for a DT. I like Oliver, but I'm not 100% convinced he's going to be great in the NFL. I think he'll be very good, but Donald is just on another level.

you will be wrong

8 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

you will be wrong

Agreed. The kind of explosion that Oliver possesses has never been seen in the NFL. He's not as stout as Donald or as powerfully built, but his anchor is not an issue. But he's more explosive than Donald, believe it or not. He moves like a very fast DE, not a defensive tackle. It wouldn't shock me at all if he ran a 4.6 at 300 pounds.

18 College Footballs most freakish athletes

1. Ed Oliver, DT, Houston

Along with being arguably the best player in college football, Oliver brings downright scary athleticism to the interior of the Cougars' defense. At 290 pounds, his vertical jump has improved to 36 inches, which would have tied him for second with fifth overall pick Bradley Chubb among 2018 NFL combine defensive linemen. He can broad jump 10-1, the same as safety Minkah Fitzpatrick, the Miami Dolphins' first-round pick, performed at the combine. Add in Oliver's freakish weight-room strength (650 squat, 405 bench press, 385 power clean), and the total package is an ultra-rare combination of physical gifts.

Bosa did not make the list...which means nothing.

and when you look over the list, think about how many DL will be taken in the 1st round next year,

7 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Agreed. The kind of explosion that Oliver possesses has never been seen in the NFL. He's not as stout as Donald or as powerfully built, but his anchor is not an issue. But he's more explosive than Donald, believe it or not. He moves like a very fast DE, not a defensive tackle. It wouldn't shock me at all if he ran a 4.6 at 300 pounds.

Donald ran a 4.6, too. I get that everyone likes Oliver, and I fully expect him to be a top 3 pick (deservedly so). I'm pretty sure he will be a very good and possibly exceptional player. But to say say that his explosion has never been seen in the NFL just strikes me as hyperbole. 

Anyway, back on topic of the thread, Bosa has much more refined technique and plays against a higher level of competition. I think he's more scheme-proof. Oliver has a higher ceiling, but I'd take Bosa if I were a GM in the top 5. I don't care if it's an unpopular opinion. Oliver has a longer learning curve. Right now he wins with his quickness and agility -- and I agree it's extremely good, although not unprecedented -- but he needs to learn a lot about hand positioning, leverage, and gap integrity. If it all comes together, then sure, he could be a HoF type player, but I have some minor concerns.

11 hours ago, reamer said:

Donald ran a 4.6, too. I get that everyone likes Oliver, and I fully expect him to be a top 3 pick (deservedly so). I'm pretty sure he will be a very good and possibly exceptional player. But to say say that his explosion has never been seen in the NFL just strikes me as hyperbole.

Pretty sure Donald ran a 4.8. And I don't think you could name even 2 DT's to ever have played the game that had that kind of explosiveness. MAYBE Donald, but aside from him, there's nobody that was as physically explosive as Oliver.

14 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Pretty sure Donald ran a 4.8. And I don't think you could name even 2 DT's to ever have played the game that had that kind of explosiveness. MAYBE Donald, but aside from him, there's nobody that was as physically explosive as Oliver.

Yeah, Donald ran a high 4.6 which is nuts what was more nuts was his 1.59 10 yard split which was .02 off of Von Miller's mark, but I fully anticipate Oliver to be in high 4.5s and have a similar 10 yard split by the time the season is over and he has specific training for the combine. I think he may have pound for pound one of the best combines ever.

Oh, and this is with Bosa being just as good or even better than his brother which is nuts as well.

6 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Yeah, Donald ran a high 4.6 which is nuts what was more nuts was his 1.59 10 yard split which was .02 off of Von Miller's mark, but I fully anticipate Oliver to be in high 4.5s and have a similar 10 yard split by the time the season is over and he has specific training for the combine. I think he may have pound for pound one of the best combines ever.

Oh, and this is with Bosa being just as good or even better than his brother which is nuts as well.

I disagree with Nick Bosa being as good or better than his brother Joey Bosa, even if Nick is a top 3 pick in the draft which he probably will be.  Joey Bosa was more productive in college and was surrounded by less talent on the DL arguably than Nick is currently on Ohio State especially last year and even this up coming year.  Will see how Nick does this season, things could change but it is a very high bar for him to be better than Joey Bosa, a stud pro and a DE who is physically taller and longer than Nick is, has just as much skill with his hands and combination of power and quickness.  Nick learned it from someone and no big surprise he plays similar to his big brother.  

Archived