Nick Bosa vs Ed Oliver

Scout

Bosa v Olivee  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Better NFL Player

• Nick Bosa
    • Ed Oliver

10 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Um no, I am a fan of Sean Taylor, thank you.  He is probably my most favorite football prospect I have ever watched.  You might have some misplaced expectations for your football team, assuming you are a Houston Cougars fan of course.  That team sure has had some good times but they will never be an elite program. Heck look at the fan support and that is for a some what good team and still no one goes to the games even with the new stadium.  At least in that conference, it will be hard to get any growth there or recruits period.  Sure blame Applewhite but Ed Oliver is the one that embarrassed himself last night.  Acting like if his precious jacket was taken away he would die or something, grow a pair and maybe experience real cold weather once in your life, and no real cold weather is not freaking 30 degrees....

expectations are higher now than years past because of the upgraded facilities what herman did.  UH is supposed to be the best G5 job in the country and they have expectations of going to a major conference. the fan support argument is irrelevant because houston isnt a college town and UH is a commuter school.  only time they show up is when we are winning and when we play big time oppoents. 

also it was cold as hell last night. idc if it was 30 degrees or -30 degrees.

46 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

i was at the game and i went to the previous 2 games before that and he did the same thing pre game.  not sure why thats a big deal.

ummm because he's supposed to be injured. If you're too injured to play the game, you shouldn't be jumping around on the sidelines.

...unless you're not really hurt, which is what I'm getting at.

11 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Agree. Quinnen isn't better than Raekwon. Williams is a NT that sees single blocks more than any other 0-tech I've ever seen. Yes he's good and yes he's impressive, but I'm amazed at how little he sees doubles as a real 0-1 technique. Kind of shocking to be honest, but I guess there are so many other players that demand doubles, especially when they play the traditional 5-Techs with an inside shade on the tackle. That draws a G-T double most times and keeps the NT relatively clean depending on the blocking scheme.

Both are going to be top 15 picks, but I think I'm taking Raekwon over Williams. Raekwon is a freaking monster.

Yeah it is crazy how little Williams is doubled, would be very interesting how productive he would be with less talent around him.  Really though Davis and Buggs are playing great, and the two ILBs on Bama are lights out, flying around making plays and the two edge backers Jennings and Miller have stayed healthy and consistent all year long.  Now either Williams is allowing guys like the two ILBs to be that successful with his play or just in general everyone is rounding into form and playing quite well.  Odd to say but that pass rush with just three guys is a terror and few can even handle them much less when they bring linebackers as well.

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

I for one think Ed Oliver is a total scumbag. He must be punished. Did you see the way he was rude to that Coach? Thats charactir concurns right ther. 

Falling to the Ravens will teach him some humility. Suggs will school him up. 

so one blown out of proportion incident makes him one?  lol 

3 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

so one blown out of proportion incident makes him one?  lol 

I believe he was being sarcastic.

@Ozzy I mean, everyone has different predisposed temperature tolerances. I walk around with flip flops in the snow but you don't see me telling him to tough it out. Cold, whatever cold is relative to you, sucks lol. Don't think it has anything to do with his masculinity. I think the fact that Oliver is trying to establish himself (inappropriately) is what led to the incident. His strength coach and his HC are nobodies. They lost 5 times last year, which is more than Oliver ever experienced to that point in his college career. This year, he's been hurt and the only reason UH is at the top of their division is cause the rest of it sucks. They lost to in-state rivals Texas Tech and SMU.. He's earned the right to vent his frustration and receive a bit of special treatment (not blatantly preferential treatment, but how about we draw the line on athletic apparel). Do I agree with how he went about it? No. Obviously not. Especially if it escalated and turned physical. No right-minded person would justify that. But I understand his reaction and in the greater context, it's just not a big deal. If I've got some incompetent coach getting on me cause something as little as my wearing a jacket, knowing full well I've given/done so much for the UH program.. I'd snap too. That's like busting your butt for a piss-poor manager; the company as a whole is failing and your manager still feels the need micromanage you? Nope. Why would I keep my mouth shut or be cordial when I could speak up and have the form of my expression match the feeling/the content? That all comes with time and experience, learning how to communicate. I don't know Oliver's personal life and if he has translatable experience. He's still a kid. He's still a top-2 pick.. I'm more than certain GMs will give this incident a minute or two in interviews, and that'll be the extent its worth. What could've happened is far worse than what actually happened. 

Props to the HC, for what? Telling a kid to take off a jacket? Oh, and he better compose himself in the moment. Applewhite would have even less justification reciprocating. He'd be borderline pathetic if he openly backed down or ran away. There's nothing impressive about a grown man (who's being paid to guide these kids and handle this types of occurrences) just doing his job. That's what we expect of him. Those players though? Expectations are different. I don't expect 20-year old jocks to always be bright, composed yes-men.

Also, I don't care if he's milking an injury, considering how much of an utter failure that team has been since Herman left. He's thinking about himself and his future financial prospects. He really should come out and declare that, though, at least to keep his teammates on the same page. Or maybe they all know lowkey and its just something he hasn't declared publicly and/or to the coaching staff. After all I've stated above? I'd understand his reluctance/right to privacy. Who knows what is going on behind the scenes. 

Teams are supposed to work as much for their players as players work for their team. Sacrificing his body at this point is unnecessary. He's got nothing left to prove to us. We're just the dudes who watch him give up his long-term health every Saturday (and soon to be every Sunday). Before this incident, he was regarded as a pretty decent kid. The 5-star recruit that went to a small school just to play with his brother. Far be it from him to have a momentary explosion. He's already issued a statement explaining himself. Good enough for me. 

5 hours ago, One Punch Man said:

I believe he was being sarcastic.

@Ozzy I mean, everyone has different predisposed temperature tolerances. I walk around with flip flops in the snow but you don't see me telling him to tough it out. Cold, whatever cold is relative to you, sucks lol. Don't think it has anything to do with his masculinity. I think the fact that Oliver is trying to establish himself (inappropriately) is what led to the incident. His strength coach and his HC are nobodies. They lost 5 times last year, which is more than Oliver ever experienced to that point in his college career. This year, he's been hurt and the only reason UH is at the top of their division is cause the rest of it sucks. They lost to in-state rivals Texas Tech and SMU.. He's earned the right to vent his frustration and receive a bit of special treatment (not blatantly preferential treatment, but how about we draw the line on athletic apparel). Do I agree with how he went about it? No. Obviously not. Especially if it escalated and turned physical. No right-minded person would justify that. But I understand his reaction and in the greater context, it's just not a big deal. If I've got some incompetent coach getting on me cause something as little as my wearing a jacket, knowing full well I've given/done so much for the UH program.. I'd snap too. That's like busting your butt for a piss-poor manager; the company as a whole is failing and your manager still feels the need micromanage you? Nope. Why would I keep my mouth shut or be cordial when I could speak up and have the form of my expression match the feeling/the content? That all comes with time and experience, learning how to communicate. I don't know Oliver's personal life and if he has translatable experience. He's still a kid. He's still a top-2 pick.. I'm more than certain GMs will give this incident a minute or two in interviews, and that'll be the extent its worth. What could've happened is far worse than what actually happened. 

Props to the HC, for what? Telling a kid to take off a jacket? Oh, and he better compose himself in the moment. Applewhite would have even less justification reciprocating. He'd be borderline pathetic if he openly backed down or ran away. There's nothing impressive about a grown man (who's being paid to guide these kids and handle this types of occurrences) just doing his job. That's what we expect of him. Those players though? Expectations are different. I don't expect 20-year old jocks to always be bright, composed yes-men.

Also, I don't care if he's milking an injury, considering how much of an utter failure that team has been since Herman left. He's thinking about himself and his future financial prospects. He really should come out and declare that, though, at least to keep his teammates on the same page. Or maybe they all know lowkey and its just something he hasn't declared publicly and/or to the coaching staff. After all I've stated above? I'd understand his reluctance/right to privacy. Who knows what is going on behind the scenes. 

Teams are supposed to work as much for their players as players work for their team. Sacrificing his body at this point is unnecessary. He's got nothing left to prove to us. We're just the dudes who watch him give up his long-term health every Saturday (and soon to be every Sunday). Before this incident, he was regarded as a pretty decent kid. The 5-star recruit that went to a small school just to play with his brother. Far be it from him to have a momentary explosion. He's already issued a statement explaining himself. Good enough for me. 

As for Oliver being upset about what them losing and takes that out on the 'incompetent' coach?  He was not playing in the game of course and at the time of the event they were winning pretty easily as well.  Ripping on the coach for the teams failures?  I doubt that was the case, I took it as he was confronted and openly complained because he did not want to be cold.  You think he was the only guy on the sideline that worn a jacket and should not have?  I bet a few other players did it as well, or he was just brash enough to ignore the rule, completely knew it and did it anyway because he is the big time player.  

This is what Ed Oliver said most recently about the event and did the only logical thing he could, apologize.  Yet still he created a crap storm for himself that he will have to deal with all the way up to Draft day and beyond. Everyone ripping on coach Applewhite for having a rule, give me a break.  Seems some are just taking out their frustrations for Houston's lack of national greatness and getting a chance to insult the coach when the coach is not the problem.  To me it is a little window into a possible issue Oliver with a blatant lack of respect for any authority.  But maybe like he said that is not who I am, I sure freaking hope so.

Ed Oliver:  "Last night is not who I am," Oliver said in a statement released through the school. "I'm very passionate about the game of football and last night there was a misunderstanding. I was caught in an emotional moment. I have the utmost respect for Coach Applewhite and I appreciate the support of Coach Applewhite and my teammates during this time. I love my brothers, my team and my city and I'm looking forward to moving forward with them together. Go Coogs!"

Major Applewhite: "Ed is a passionate human being, and that is why he is the best player in the country," Applewhite said in a statement. "Last night was not indicative of his character and it was a passionate moment within our program. We can, and we will, both learn from this situation as we move forward together."

It is an embarrassing moment for Ed Oliver and the entire team and program, and at least Oliver kind of tried to correct it with these statements.  Still that reaction he had is insane, sure it is not a big deal, yeah it is not.  It is also not a big deal to be asked to take a coat of when you are about to go into half time in a few minutes.  But some have different opinions on the issue of course, just is a crap storm for him the last home game he will ever be at for Houston.  

6 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

my bad @Ozzy.  I thought you was being serious.

No quite sure what this comment means...

Anyway check out what the Northwestern players did for warm ups before the game in Minnesota.  Did this in the morning, right now after the sun has been out a few hours it is 23 degrees, feels like 12.  They did this in the morning when it was cloudy, was probably 10-15 degrees lower than what it is now....  Funny stuff and guess what they won the game despite a very injured secondary and missing their top  WR and one of their better RBs, oh and 'nothing' to play for technically in terms of getting to the Big Ten title which they already did.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=25303035

Quinnen has by far been better than Raekwon. Hell, Quinnen this year is better than Raekwon was last year. Dude has been dominant against every scheme you throw at him. He honestly might be the best defender to walk through Bama in the Saban era. I love Oliver, but Quinnen gives me more Aaron Donald vibes.

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

No quite sure what this comment means...

Anyway check out what the Northwestern players did for warm ups before the game in Minnesota.  Did this in the morning, right now after the sun has been out a few hours it is 23 degrees, feels like 12.  They did this in the morning when it was cloudy, was probably 10-15 degrees lower than what it is now....  Funny stuff and guess what they won the game despite a very injured secondary and missing their top  WR and one of their better RBs, oh and 'nothing' to play for technically in terms of getting to the Big Ten title which they already did.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=25303035

people were saying you was being sarcastic in your post.

2 hours ago, AlNFL19 said:

I voted for Oliver in this poll before the season but he has not been up to expectations this year with this act and the injuries and whatnot. Bosa was wrecking games before he got hurt.

bosa doesnt get double and tripled team and bosa doesnt have the worst dc in cfb history coaching him either.

10 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

bosa doesnt get double and tripled team and bosa doesnt have the worst dc in cfb history coaching him either.

Some people only see things at face value and thats fine, no need to explain the circumstances if they don't already see

He'll be filed under "how did we miss on this one "

Archived