Nick Bosa vs Ed Oliver

Scout

Bosa v Olivee  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Better NFL Player

• Nick Bosa
    • Ed Oliver

17 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Oliver was the #6 overall prospect coming out in his class it's almost guaranteed he would double his numbers if he were at Bama, what would Williams do if he were at Houston? Would you even hear from him like you would Oliver? how would he operate with double and triple teams?

Also competition has nothing to do with individual talent and how it projects to the next level, you are totally missing the point , ok he is dominating single blocks and making a few plays that doesn't project you as an stud on the next level, or better than Oliver for that matter. 

It’s a hypothetical. It’s not “gurataneed” anything. 

Ed Oliver hasn’t seen a IOL on the same level as Darryl Williams, Elgton Jenkins, or Garrett Brumfield this season. Quinnen Williams managed to beat them with ease as he has done all season. That’s tough competion. I don’t know why you keep pretending that Quinnen hasn’t been dominating against double teams as well, but hey if you want to keep doing that, then that’s good for you. 

39 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Oliver was the #6 overall prospect coming out in his class it's almost guaranteed he would double his numbers if he were at Bama, what would Williams do if he were at Houston? Would you even hear from him like you would Oliver? how would he operate with double and triple teams?

I definitely disagree with this statement.  You have to compare how Houston uses their DL and compare it against how Alabama does.  Alabama has a LOT of 2-gap concepts with their DL, so they're not "free" to rush the passer like Oliver has the opportunity to do so.

14 minutes ago, YogiBiz said:

Yeah I figured you would, seeing how any further discussion about their hand usage would require you to actually look at both of their tape. And not make a conclusion from just watching Live Alabama games.  

Also if you finished reading my post you would clearly see why I said what I did. 

Nah, I’m just not going waste time on reading something that is just not true. Quinnen Williams CLEARLY smokes Oliver in the hand-usage department, & whatever secondary factors you want throw out. Oliver isn’t bad at it at all, but he is more raw than you would like to admit. Hell, if Oliver was just as polished as Quinnen was in that area, he would be the clear cut player in the draft & yes that obviously includes Bosa.

I guarantee you haven’t watched every snap of Quinnen this year or even 90% of it. Live or tape. It’s okay because I doubt you’re the only one.

1 hour ago, ClutchDJ said:

Allen wasn’t even a better prospect than Marcel Dareus, let alone Quinnen Williams.  

Allen was great, but I wouldn’t even put him in the top 5 as far as Bama prospects under Saban go.

Jonathan Allen was the most dominant DT since Ndamukong Suh. He was touted as a heisman Canidate during the season. He wrecked havoc on a consistent basis every week and hard to block. Healthy Jonathan Allen had an argument to go above Garrett, that's how dominant he was 

39 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I definitely disagree with this statement.  You have to compare how Houston uses their DL and compare it against how Alabama does.  Alabama has a LOT of 2-gap concepts with their DL, so they're not "free" to rush the passer like Oliver has the opportunity to do so.

So what you're saying is that Alabama's defense doesn't scheme 1 on 1's with Williams nearly exclusively? Should they not except him to beat college players 1on1 at a consistent level? Williams, while executing extremely well, isn't doing anything that hasn't been done before him. He dominate one game and has played his role in every other one. I don't think Williams is bad again, I just believe Oliver is better. 

1 hour ago, ClutchDJ said:

It’s a hypothetical. It’s not “gurataneed” anything. 

Ed Oliver hasn’t seen a IOL on the same level as Darryl Williams, Elgton Jenkins, or Garrett Brumfield this season. Quinnen Williams managed to beat them with ease as he has done all season. That’s tough competion. I don’t know why you keep pretending that Quinnen hasn’t been dominating against double teams as well, but hey if you want to keep doing that, then that’s good for you. 

Neither did John Randle, La'Roi Glover, Akiem Hicks, Snacks Harrison, Javon Hargrave, Brandon Williams, Muhammad Wilkerson, Eric Swann, Cullen Jenkins and Rod Coleman (to name a few)and they did pretty well despite not playing against supposed "elite IOL". Again, talent is talent PERIOD, talent isn’t talent because you play against elite talent or go to a big school. Great talent evaluators in the NFL know this. 

23 minutes ago, Activated10 said:

Jonathan Allen was the most dominant DT since Ndamukong Suh. He was touted as a heisman Canidate during the season. He wrecked havoc on a consistent basis every week and hard to block. Healthy Jonathan Allen had an argument to go above Garrett, that's how dominant he was 

Healthy Jonathan Allen had an argument to go above Garrett? That’s a good one. 

Heisman candidate? That’s another good one.

You know damn well both weren’t true.

Allen is the 3rd best DLineman to come through Bama under Saban. I’ll give him that, which isn’t a shot at all.

10 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Neither did John Randle, La'Roi Glover, Akiem Hicks, Snacks Harrison, Javon Hargrave, Brandon Williams, Muhammad Wilkerson, Eric Swann, Cullen Jenkins and Rod Coleman (to nane a few)and they did pretty well despite not playing against supposed "elite IOL". Again, talent is talent PERIOD, talent isn’t talent because you play against elite talent. Great talent evaluators in the NFL know this. 

Yea, talent is talent, & Quinnen & Oliver are equal in terms of talent.  I’m sure great talent evaluators in the NFL know that.

14 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

Healthy Jonathan Allen had an argument to go above Garrett? That’s a good one. 

Heisman candidate? That’s another good one.

You know damn well both weren’t true.

Allen is the 3rd best DLineman to come through Bama under Saban. I’ll give him that, which isn’t a shot at all.

Heisman hype for Jonathan Allen was real

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://247sports.com/Bolt/Desmond-Howard-makes-case-for-Jonathan-Allens-Heisman-candidacy-48507287/&ved=2ahUKEwjCkvCsxOveAhUth-AKHaRWAX0QFjAIegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw1Xa6gxz2jTw0F3OaJnbCMF

This is coming from a offensive player so you know he doesn't want to give credit to defensive player 

There was a legit debate before Allen injury concerns of him going 1st

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://articles.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/02/browns_should_draft_jonathan_a.amp&ved=2ahUKEwjs94H1xOveAhXnmeAKHSWSCvIQFjAYegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw1r42YThNDp30dlxOBCw6v1&ampcf=1

This is from the damn city of team picking #1 so you know the debate was serious 

11 minutes ago, Activated10 said:

Heisman hype for Jonathan Allen was real

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://247sports.com/Bolt/Desmond-Howard-makes-case-for-Jonathan-Allens-Heisman-candidacy-48507287/&ved=2ahUKEwjCkvCsxOveAhUth-AKHaRWAX0QFjAIegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw1Xa6gxz2jTw0F3OaJnbCMF

This is coming from a offensive player so you know he doesn't want to give credit to defensive player 

There was a legit debate before Allen injury concerns of him going 1st

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://articles.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/02/browns_should_draft_jonathan_a.amp&ved=2ahUKEwjs94H1xOveAhXnmeAKHSWSCvIQFjAYegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw1r42YThNDp30dlxOBCw6v1&ampcf=1

This is from the damn city of team picking #1 so you know the debate was serious 

Yes, 1 analyst said a brief statement that he thinks Allen should get Heisman consideration. Even though he wasn’t one. Awesome

I’m not going to even entertain the latter.

Garrett was the bonafide #1 pick even dating back to the 2015 season. It wasn’t even close.

Garrett is a freak athlete on the EDGE which is a top 3 position, probably the 2nd more coveted position. Incredibly high ceiling.

Allen is a great player but nothing special athletically and no real indication he could improve much.  In no scenario does he go above Garrett

Oliver to me doesn’t have a position. He’s 6’-6’1 280? He’s not an edge rusher. And I don’t think he’s a guy who can play the three tech either. 

Dont give me Aaron Donald comps either. He basically mailed it in this year and I’m not really impressed. 

Seems to me he’s more of a problem child before football player. Mostly hype. 

2 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

So what you're saying is that Alabama's defense doesn't scheme 1 on 1's with Williams nearly exclusively? Should they not except him to beat college players 1on1 at a consistent level? Williams, while executing extremely well, isn't doing anything that hasn't been done before him. He dominate one game and has played his role in every other one. I don't think Williams is bad again, I just believe Oliver is better. 

Not necessarily.  Remember, with Saban's scheme it's about team execution moreso than individual success.  I mean, going back to the years that Alabama has had under Nick Saban have they ever had a player who "superseded" the scheme?  No.  Playing outside of the scheme is a quick way to end up on the bench at Alabama.

On 11/24/2018 at 5:50 PM, CWood21 said:

Not necessarily.  Remember, with Saban's scheme it's about team execution moreso than individual success.  I mean, going back to the years that Alabama has had under Nick Saban have they ever had a player who "superseded" the scheme?  No.  Playing outside of the scheme is a quick way to end up on the bench at Alabama.

So due to the scheme he's being left in 1 on 1 situations more often than not? I mean isn't he in more of an attacker role than say a Davis who is asked to take on more blocks within the system?

Watch those who believe in his talent will say he’s being smart for skipping the Bowl (and to be clear not like he’s alone here) and those who worry about his character will say not enough desire.   Either way his draft stock fall (from being in discussion preseason for 1.1 or 1.2 so can’t really rise) and how far it goes, if at all,  it’s going to one of the top stories if not the top of 2019.

Archived