Nick Bosa vs Ed Oliver

Scout

Bosa v Olivee  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Better NFL Player

• Nick Bosa
    • Ed Oliver

18 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Joey Bosa was more productive in college and was surrounded by less talent on the DL arguably than Nick is currently on Ohio State especially last year and even this up coming year. 

Look at what Nick did with limited reps, You pretty much answered your own question. That answers the "just as good as thing". Time to move on.

On 7/6/2018 at 8:19 PM, BleedTheClock said:

Pretty sure Donald ran a 4.8. And I don't think you could name even 2 DT's to ever have played the game that had that kind of explosiveness. MAYBE Donald, but aside from him, there's nobody that was as physically explosive as Oliver.

Tommie Harris.

3 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Tommie Harris.

Good call on that, totally agree he was physically something special and extremely well put together.

As for the Nick Bosa snap count MSURacerDT55, here is the count for them in terms of just defensive ends.  Not a huge difference between them and if anything could argue depth allows for greater production in less amount of time because you are not as fatigued.  One could be more productive in getting stats like sacks or TFLs with a deep defensive line like that even in less snaps.  Will see how he does this year. 

Tyquan Lewis 534
Sam Hubbard 531
Jalyn Holmes 527
Nick Bosa 526

Not sure what an average snap count would be in a year for a top level college defensive lineman, Christian Wilkins had 706 snaps in 2016 but that was in 15 games played and not much DT depth on that roster. Then again Austin Bryant his FR and SOPH years did not play much and had 463 snaps playing in 22 games. Did you play for Murray State as a DT I assume based on your handle, what would be an average snap count for a starter? 

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Good call on that, totally agree he was physically something special and extremely well put together.

Yep Tommie Harris was a legit freak of nature. I hate it when people throw that term around because it's used way too much. I rarely use it, Harris was definitely a freak. And had it not been for his durability issues, he would have been around for a long time.

16 hours ago, Ozzy said:

As for the Nick Bosa snap count MSURacerDT55, here is the count for them in terms of just defensive ends.  Not a huge difference between them and if anything could argue depth allows for greater production in less amount of time because you are not as fatigued.  One could be more productive in getting stats like sacks or TFLs with a deep defensive line like that even in less snaps.  Will see how he does this year. 

Tyquan Lewis 534
Sam Hubbard 531
Jalyn Holmes 527
Nick Bosa 526

Not sure what an average snap count would be in a year for a top level college defensive lineman, Christian Wilkins had 706 snaps in 2016 but that was in 15 games played and not much DT depth on that roster. Then again Austin Bryant his FR and SOPH years did not play much and had 463 snaps playing in 22 games. Did you play for Murray State as a DT I assume based on your handle, what would be an average snap count for a starter? 

Nick Bosa was 3rd in TFLs and 2nd in sacks despite not starting and leading the team of talented linemen. As far as snaps, thats pretty much relative to the team and talent. And yes I played at Murray and metrics like these weren't necessarily discussed with players or discussed amongst us players. That was more G.A and stat guy talk, we were more concerned with alignment/assignment/execution 

When viewing Bosa, we all need to focus on his production per snap, I'm almost sure its one of the best in the country. This is a product of Larry Johnson Sr. who easily could have plugged him in over Tyquan Lewis and Sam Hubbard but opted for veteran leadership. IMO, the only difference this year is the stats will increase because of the volume of snaps.

Honestly, if someone picks a QB at 1.1, they'll regret it for the next 10 years.   1.1 and 1.2 are Bosa/Oliver IMO.    Generational talents, and I don't say that lightly. 

I get the argument for Oliver 1.1, but I wouldn't argue if Bosa went 1.2.   His production per snap is ungodly, and he has all of Joey's traits - including that insane hand-fighting, low-to-ground burst, and his short area quickness will rival if not match his brother's.   Big believer.

I don't know if anyone can match what Donald did athletically pre-draft - but I do think Oliver's the closest we've seen since him.

• 1 month later...
On 7/11/2018 at 12:15 AM, Broncofan said:

Honestly, if someone picks a QB at 1.1, they'll regret it for the next 10 years.   1.1 and 1.2 are Bosa/Oliver IMO.    Generational talents, and I don't say that lightly. 

I get the argument for Oliver 1.1, but I wouldn't argue if Bosa went 1.2.   His production per snap is ungodly, and he has all of Joey's traits - including that insane hand-fighting, low-to-ground burst, and his short area quickness will rival if not match his brother's.   Big believer.

I don't know if anyone can match what Donald did athletically pre-draft - but I do think Oliver's the closest we've seen since him.

Definitely agree.  Unless Herbert or Lock take massive steps, I'm not sure I can justify taking a QB over them.  But for the sake of every other team, I hope some team makes that mistake.  Preferably an NFCN team.

On 7/10/2018 at 10:29 AM, goldfishwars said:

I just watched Ed Oliver, holy hell. I thought you guys must have been overselling it, but my God. He is so good, so good.

Ed Oliver is the closest thing I've seen to prime JJ Watt. Guy completely obliterates everything around him, plays with a tremendous amount of power at the point of attack and has football instinct that allows him to use all of his tools effectively during games. He plays to every second of that 4.6 he runs, he plays to every single pound he can squat/deadlift/bench.

He's going to make a GM look like a genius - he's a guy you build around, a guy who will immediately put your defense into a top 3 ranking.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the crazy thing:

Nick Bosa is a future superstar EDGE rusher. And I still wouldn't take him over Ed Oliver in any universe. That's how good Oliver is. You don't find players as disruptive as Oliver growing on trees. He's not a "generational" prospect, but there are only a few guys like Oliver to ever come out in the draft. Those ridiculously explosive 3-Techniques are a rarity and should be cherished. Getting A & B gap penetration is a nightmare for offenses. Even more nightmarish than exterior pressure IMO.

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Here's the crazy thing:

Nick Bosa is a future superstar EDGE rusher. And I still wouldn't take him over Ed Oliver in any universe. That's how good Oliver is. You don't find players as disruptive as Oliver growing on trees. He's not a "generational" prospect, but there are only a few guys like Oliver to ever come out in the draft. Those ridiculously explosive 3-Techniques are a rarity and should be cherished. Getting A & B gap penetration is a nightmare for offenses. Even more nightmarish than exterior pressure IMO.

Agree 100% with everything except the generational prospect part, I still think the numbers he will put up will compare with the off ball OLB group in terms of explosion and speed. Plus the trend is the same with him, he dominates whether he is playing a spread team or when he plays a team like Navy, the climate may chance but his dominance doesn't, at worst he will be a consensus prospect like Suh was.

Archived