Nick Bosa vs Ed Oliver

Scout

Bosa v Olivee  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Better NFL Player

• Nick Bosa
    • Ed Oliver

On 9/30/2018 at 12:01 AM, pnies20 said:

I'm not trying to take away from Oliver's great collegiate career but he's got issues rushing the passer. The guy is one of the best I've ever seen against the run but he's not Aaron Donald. 

His issues are scheme related, Oliver plays in a 2 gap scheme, Donald played in a 1 gap scheme where he could let it rip and fly up the field, Oliver has two gap responsibilities before he can do any of that. Its a terrible scheme for Oliver but it makes him so much better against the run, I wouldn't worry much about his stats, we all know his potential in the correct type of scheme, but to put it into perspective, he is in the same spot Dexter Lawrence, Derrick Brown would play in the NFL and he is 3 times the athlete either one of the two are.

Point being, if he were in a 1 gap scheme he would have a lot more sacks and pressures as opposed to being a nose in a 2 gap scheme.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2018 at 10:13 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

His issues are scheme related, Oliver plays in a 2 gap scheme, Donald played in a 1 gap scheme where he could let it rip and fly up the field, Oliver has two gap responsibilities before he can do any of that. Its a terrible scheme for Oliver but it makes him so much better against the run, I wouldn't worry much about his stats, we all know his potential in the correct type of scheme, but to put it into perspective, he is in the same spot Dexter Lawrence, Derrick Brown would play in the NFL and he is 3 times the athlete either one of the two are.

Point being, if he were in a 1 gap scheme he would have a lot more sacks and pressures as opposed to being a nose in a 2 gap scheme.

So much of this. Don’t overthink it. Take Oliver #1 and know you got a HoF potential player. 

20 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

So much of this. Don’t overthink it. Take Oliver #1 and know you got a HoF potential player. 

That's not to say Bosa doesn't have an enormous ceiling, it just pails in comparison to Oliver. He's a Warren Sapp clone, last guy anyone said that about was Suh. And he's been pretty good. 

With the raiders languishing right now, I wonder if they would consider packaging those two first rounders they got for Mack to position themselves in a place to grab BOTH of them.  I know other teams are struggling, but the Giants almost have to be going QB, so there is a chance that they could maneuver around enough to do it. 

45 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

With the raiders languishing right now, I wonder if they would consider packaging those two first rounders they got for Mack to position themselves in a place to grab BOTH of them.  I know other teams are struggling, but the Giants almost have to be going QB, so there is a chance that they could maneuver around enough to do it. 

Bosa + Oliver could be the sickest beginning of a rebuild EVER. 

It wouldn't shock me if Quinnen Williams was the first DT off the board ahead of Oliver. I personally believe Oliver is better, but he's like 6'1" 270 on a good day. This, plus the lack of production on pass rush (despite it being scheme-related moreso than lack of ability) is surely going to steer some teams in another direction. He's almost polarizing. Whereas Williams is younger, looks very refined for his youth, and has the measurables. 

6 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

It wouldn't shock me if Quinnen Williams was the first DT off the board ahead of Oliver. I personally believe Oliver is better, but he's like 6'1" 270 on a good day. This, plus the lack of production on pass rush (despite it being scheme-related moreso than lack of ability) is surely going to steer some teams in another direction. He's almost polarizing. Whereas Williams is younger, looks very refined for his youth, and has the measurables. 

It should shock you. Oliver is a damn near lock to be the #1 pick. The only dude that might go ahead of him is Nick Bosa, who would only be pushed up if the #1 picking team already has a great DT but no great DE.

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

It should shock you. Oliver is a damn near lock to be the #1 pick. The only dude that might go ahead of him is Nick Bosa, who would only be pushed up if the #1 picking team already has a great DT but no great DE.

Or a QB needy team like the Giants

17 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

Bosa + Oliver could be the sickest beginning of a rebuild EVER. 

It would be until contract time

9 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Who cares about his size when you have off the charts athletic traits? And he will guaranteed be at least 290 by combine time, I don't see people complaining about Geno Atkins or Aaron Donald, or John Randle. Secondly, I wouldn't want to be the one to pass on a future all pro for the flavor of the month, Thirdly you can't put Williams over an established stud like Jeffery Simmons, Dexter Lawrence. You can put him in the riser category like Tillery, and Gerald Willis, all can be first day picks

2 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I see where you are coming from but Nebraska Suh was otherworldly

I loved Nebraska Suh. He was/is bigger and stronger than Oliver, but I think that Oliver is a lot more athletic (although Suh was no slouch). 

JMHO

P.S.

We're also splitting hairs here...it's like debating about whether a filet or a ribeye is better.

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I loved Nebraska Suh. He was/is bigger and stronger than Oliver, but I think that Oliver is a lot more athletic (although Suh was no slouch). 

JMHO

P.S.

We're also splitting hairs here...it's like debating about whether a filet or a ribeye is better.

Well I'm a Ribeye guy myself....:D

Just now, MSURacerDT55 said:

Well I'm a Ribeye guy myself....:D

Honestly the same!!! LOL

That said, I'll choose a great filet if I have amazing side dishes, because if I eat a Ribeye then I don't have enough room for the sides.

Archived