Nick Bosa vs Ed Oliver

Scout

Bosa v Olivee  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Better NFL Player

• Nick Bosa
    • Ed Oliver

On 11/5/2018 at 9:53 PM, IDOG_det said:

Bro, this is mind bogglingly good. I've never read a post on here this deep or detailed. Please keep posting more like this, I'm just happy to learn more about the game.

Also re: Ed Oliver, the way I see it, this dude runs the program. He's their best player by far. I know its special treatment and all, but the coach should give him flak about wearring a goddamn jacket. Who cares man? He's your best player. Do you really want to antagonize him about the JACKET he's wearing, when he can't play due to what I assume is injury? Seems petty by the coach IMO. I'm sure many disagree with me though.

3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Bro, this is mind bogglingly good. I've never read a post on here this deep or detailed. Please keep posting more like this, I'm just happy to learn more about the game.

Also re: Ed Oliver, the way I see it, this dude runs the program. He's their best player by far. I know its special treatment and all, but the coach should give him flak about wearring a goddamn jacket. Who cares man? He's your best player. Do you really want to antagonize him about the JACKET he's wearing, when he can't play due to what I assume is injury? Seems petty by the coach IMO. I'm sure many disagree with me though.

Apparently coach Applewhite told other players to do the same thing, and did not want to give Oliver special treatment.  If you are not playing you cannot wear the large black jacket he had on.  Probably they have a limit on those and it is for the players actually using it and playing.  Also Oliver did not listen to the trainer who was talking to him about removing it earlier and ignored him, so the head coach came over.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25289552/houston-star-dt-ed-oliver-heated-incident-coach-major-applewhite

I respect coach Applewhite a hell of a lot for the way he handled that, even with Oliver freaking out going at him on the sidelines.  And he just acted like it was not happening.  Very impressive control by him, very impressive.  As for Oliver, obviously he feels entitled and sadly for him he is not playing either so yeah I could see him taking a hit from this, especially if he leaves the team and never plays a down of college football again.  Will not drop far but with how Quinnen Williams is playing Bosa and Oliver might fall because the only guy doing something lately at that high of level is Williams.  Happens a lot to players when expectations change but is too bad they both go injured this year.

As for the reaction, just think if your father told you something like that when you lived at home.  That is similar to the coach player relationship especially in college.  It is a matter of respect, you do not have to agree with it but you do follow what the dad and or coach says.  Not freak your **** out and complain and get in their face and want to fight over it.  Be a freaking man and be cold for a little if you are so tough.   Or do no wear a freaking sweatshirt to the game, I am sure the coach never told him to wear that, and he obviously knew he was not playing either...  Sad showing for his last home game probably ever in Houston, be curious if he plays against Memphis or any other time, my guess is not...

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Apparently coach Applewhite told other players to do the same thing, and did not want to give Oliver special treatment.  If you are not playing you cannot wear the large black jacket he had on.  Probably they have a limit on those and it is for the players actually using it and playing.  Also Oliver did not listen to the trainer who was talking to him about removing it earlier and ignored him, so the head coach came over.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25289552/houston-star-dt-ed-oliver-heated-incident-coach-major-applewhite

I respect coach Applewhite a hell of a lot for the way he handled that, even with Oliver freaking out going at him on the sidelines.  And he just acted like it was not happening.  Very impressive control by him, very impressive.  As for Oliver, obviously he feels entitled and sadly for him he is not playing either so yeah I could see him taking a hit from this, especially if he leaves the team and never plays a down of college football again.  Will not drop far but with how Quinnen Williams is playing Bosa and Oliver might fall because the only guy doing something lately at that high of level is Williams.  Happens a lot to players when expectations change but is too bad they both go injured this year.

As for the reaction, just think if your father told you something like that when you lived at home.  That is similar to the coach player relationship especially in college.  It is a matter of respect, you do not have to agree with it but you do follow what the dad and or coach says.  Not freak your **** out and complain and get in their face and want to fight over it.  Be a freaking man and be cold for a little if you are so tough.   Or do no wear a freaking sweatshirt to the game, I am sure the coach never told him to wear that, and he obviously knew he was not playing either...  Sad showing for his last home game probably ever in Houston, be curious if he plays against Memphis or any other time, my guess is not...

I dunno man. Someone like Oliver gives you his all and makes a name for your program, can't you cut him some slack? You know?

I admire the equal treatment, but life is not equal treatment. Oliver is superhuman, especially for Houston. He's not any other player. 

Players get hot. He wants his jacket and he probably feels disrespected because he wants to feel like one of the guys out there... IDK man. Seems like people are reading too far into this one thing.

11 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I dunno man. Someone like Oliver gives you his all and makes a name for your program, can't you cut him some slack? You know?

I admire the equal treatment, but life is not equal treatment. Oliver is superhuman, especially for Houston. He's not any other player. 

Players get hot. He wants his jacket and he probably feels disrespected because he wants to feel like one of the guys out there... IDK man. Seems like people are reading too far into this one thing.

Maybe, but in one way on earth was Oliver's reaction proper the good thing to do.  Especially this late in the season, and yeah he just created a little hell storm he will have to deal with for the next few months, he will be asked about it constantly unless he flat out apologizes completely for it and says he was in the wrong.  And I doubt he does that.  It is one thing to get pissed at a coach for something on the field whatever, but for a freaking jacket on the sidelines.  Yeah Applewhite was being fair to the entire team which is what he should have done, and sure Oliver is their best player but not lately and has not played for awhile now.  This is college football, no pro, so the treatment of stars is a little different.  If he was so tough and such a team player he would have been playing in the game regardless not complaining about being potentially cold without a coat.

Maybe it is just me but in no way am I like, hey that is a great reaction of this event by the potential #1 pick.  Again he created a hell storm for himself when he could have just taken it off, sure complain about it to you teammates or in the locker room, not freak your S on national TV.  That scene was insane, if that coach did not stop him what he would have hit Applewhite?  Then what...  Because it such looked like he wanted to hit him down and then think of the consequences of that!  Seems like someone has trouble with authority potentially, again with the father analogy, if my dad asked me to take it off and explained why in the same situation, I maybe would have not liked it, but no way would I react to him the way Oliver did.  That is just flat out incorrect.    

On 11/6/2018 at 12:53 AM, IDOG_det said:

Honestly, saying that Quinnen > Raekwon feels like recency bias to me.

Agree. Quinnen isn't better than Raekwon. Williams is a NT that sees single blocks more than any other 0-tech I've ever seen. Yes he's good and yes he's impressive, but I'm amazed at how little he sees doubles as a real 0-1 technique. Kind of shocking to be honest, but I guess there are so many other players that demand doubles, especially when they play the traditional 5-Techs with an inside shade on the tackle. That draws a G-T double most times and keeps the NT relatively clean depending on the blocking scheme.

Both are going to be top 15 picks, but I think I'm taking Raekwon over Williams. Raekwon is a freaking monster.

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

honestly it was petty on applewhite.  it was damn near 30 degrees outside lol.  cant wait till this clown is fired.

Meh not really. You don't get into a screaming match with your coach when you're that kind of a high profile player. Not before the draft, anyways.

And I don't blame the coach for being "petty." His star player sat out the game with a knee injury and then was doing his best Odell Beckham Jr. impression during pregame. That's a piece of crap move. And this is coming from one of Oliver's biggest supporters on here. It was a very bad night for Oliver's stock IMO. Will this drop him out of the top 5? Almost assuredly not, but when he's so close with the other talent in this draft, a move like this is going to drop him, no doubt.

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

honestly it was petty on applewhite.  it was damn near 30 degrees outside lol.  cant wait till this clown is fired.

Makes you wonder, if it was an issue of not having enough jackets, why the hell they don't have more jackets. I understand wanting to give everyone equal treatment, but let the young men wear a damn winter jacket if it's cold enough to warrant one. 

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Oliver is turning into a head case.

Because he wanted to wear a jacket??? Terrible take bro, so because he wants to wear a jacket he's a head case? because he wants to sit out to preserve himself for the combine?, why is he looked at as a head case and Bosa is being lauded?, this is a total BS narrative and it needs to stop.

As far as Applewhite, total punk move. If I were an elite recruit, I wouldn't dare play for him, this isn't the 1960's, you don't treat elite recruits/players like this. He easily could have taken him to the side away from everyone else, or waited till halftime and had a one on one away from everyone else, but he chose to be Billy Badass and show how big his wood is, He easily could have shown his strength as a coach by how he approached this situation, he could have conveyed his point and earned credibility with the there players, and Oliver as well, he FAILED and probably divided the lockerroom as well.

Nick Saban,Urban Meyer, Dabo Sweeney wouldn't have thought twice about this, but Applewhite sure did. This just proved to me he isn't a major Division 1 football coach, that was a JV High School move.

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Because he wanted to wear a jacket???

Because he was screaming at his head coach over a team rule. After jumping around and catching passes in pre-game of a game he refused to play in....with a faux knee injury.

It has very little to do with the jacket IMO.

Regardless of whether you think this was a bad look on Oliver or it doesn't matter, it certainly isn't a positive look for him.  I'm not reading very much into it, though.  Players and coaches do get into it on the sidelines at times... it's not that big of a deal to me. 

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

Because he was screaming at his head coach over a team rule. After jumping around and catching passes in pre-game of a game he refused to play in....with a faux knee injury.

So you're saying he could have played and didn't?  That's a pretty serious accusation.  What makes you believe that?

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Well then approach him like a man about not playing, don't use a jacket to take your frustrations out about something that never had to do with a jacket at all.

Archived