Kam Chancellor announced his retirement

49erurtaza

WHAT.

Was this expected? This is coming out of left field for me. Seattle's secondary will look so weird this next season....

EDIT: Just read what he wrote on Twitter... I sincerely respect his decision to walk away, sounds pretty scary. Hope he enjoys retirement with no long-term problems!

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

WHAT.

Was this expected? This is coming out of left field for me. Seattle's secondary will look so weird this next season....

There were talks about it, but so many unknowns. 

Sad to see him go, outside of Harrison Smith he was probably my favorite safety in the game. Such a fun playing style. 

18 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

Nice that the seahawks didn't cut him when they could've so he'll get paid for this season.

Hope he can enjoy retirement. 

i thought that veteran salaries only become guaranteed after week 1? I dont think he'll get paid anything.

17 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

WHAT.

EDIT: Just read what he wrote on Twitter... I sincerely respect his decision to walk away, sounds pretty scary. Hope he enjoys retirement with no long-term problems!

Yes, this was expected. It would have been a surprise if he returned for another season. There were rumors of Avril/Chancellor being done during the season last year. 

He needed to. Another neck injury and who knows what might’ve happened. Considering his play style, I’d be terrified letting him play.

Thanks for everything Kam. You were the older brother/Uncle figure of the LOB for so many years. So many highlight hits. True warrior.

9 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

i thought that veteran salaries only become guaranteed after week 1? I dont think he'll get paid anything.

He still had some guarenteed money left on his contract, seahawks could've cut him earlier to avoid paying him that money. They didn't so he'll get it unless the retirement voids that entirely. 

4 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

He still had some guarenteed money left on his contract, seahawks could've cut him earlier to avoid paying him that money. They didn't so he'll get it unless the retirement voids that entirely. 

I'm 99% sure the player retiring voids any money left on the contract. You cant just sign a $100M deal, walk away, and expect to be paid a cent, for example. IIRC with guarenteed money already paid, retiring players can be asked to pay a certain percentage of it back, in fact, depending on how many more years was left on his deal. (Most teams don't ask for it typically since it doesn't count against the cap and its considered classy, especially for players retiring due to injuries and/or franchise greats. If you'll recall, there was some controversy with the Lions asking Megatron to pay some of his guaranteed money back, to which Megatron took offense to). I doubt the Seahawks will ask for any money back, but I don't think he'll see another cent unless his contract had some kind of provision for compensation in the case of an injury-related forced retirement.

Seattle have been extremely unlucky with their players and serious neck injuries. Ricardo Lockette, Cliff Avril and Kam Chancellor.

Seems like yesterday the "Legion of Boom" was the face of the NFL and now Earl Thomas is the lone wolf of that secondary.

Archived