Kam Chancellor announced his retirement

49erurtaza

5 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

How can he be a "former" Seattle Seahawk if he isn't retiring? Did they release him?

It's just poor wording, is all. He's not going to retire outright in a formal sense because that would void any money on his contract that has not yet been paid out, including portions of the contract guaranteed for injury. But he is done playing football. His lengthy post sounded like a retirement letter, but never actually used the word. Just said that he's done playing football, which presumably means he'll basically never be cleared medically. At the same time though, Seattle won't release him because dead money.

I would imagine they come to some sort of injury settlement, so that Seattle can cut Chancellor without killing their cap, and Chancellor can retire, but still collect his injury guarantees for next year, and possibly more than that. Kind of depends on who feels like being nicer in the scenario, Seattle or Chancellor.

So former Seahawk would be misleading. Former Seahawk SAFETY is actually accurate, if he genuinely won't be cleared to play again. Because that would make him a former, not current, safety.

12 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I'm 99% sure the player retiring voids any money left on the contract. You cant just sign a $100M deal, walk away, and expect to be paid a cent, for example. IIRC with guarenteed money already paid, retiring players can be asked to pay a certain percentage of it back, in fact, depending on how many more years was left on his deal. (Most teams don't ask for it typically since it doesn't count against the cap and its considered classy, especially for players retiring due to injuries and/or franchise greats. If you'll recall, there was some controversy with the Lions asking Megatron to pay some of his guaranteed money back, to which Megatron took offense to). I doubt the Seahawks will ask for any money back, but I don't think he'll see another cent unless his contract had some kind of provision for compensation in the case of an injury-related forced retirement.

All the guaranteed money comes due this year on the salary cap ( if he retires) rather than spread out.  Just like a trade or cut.

This a complete blow to the safety talent in the league! We were spoiled for years even after the Ed Reed and Troy P era. . Nobody knew who was going to fill those shoes and I loved what Kam brought to the game every weekend. Sucks to see him go, but you can't help but to respect the man for walking away with his body and health in mind.

I love watching him play, but nobody should play the game like he did. He went for the kill hit all the time, and that's why he is out of the game so early. 

I wish him the best of luck, but players need to learn and change the way they play if they want to safe and not suffer long term injuries. 

Sad to see him go this way. Priest Holmes did the same, walk away with an spinal injury, but he's a physical wreck right now. Hope Cam found a better time to call it quits.

That said, the Safety market is weird this year. Still a lot of good players out there as free agents who obviously never got a (serious) call

Archived