Vote Pat Fischer Most Deserving 2019 Senior Hall of Fame Candidate

turtle28

https://www.redskins.com/news/vote-pat-fischer-most-deserving-senior-candidate-for-pro-football-hall-of-fame-c

Former Washington Redskins cornerback Pat Fischer is featured as one of the most deserving senior candidate for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2019 in Wednesday's Talk of Fame Sports Network article.

[You can vote for him here.]

Fischer is one of 10 candidates selected in a poll for readers and fans to vote on the website as to which former player is most deserving of selection on the ballot. Voted one of the 80 Greatest Redskins and a member of the franchise's Ring of Honor, the former cornerback played 17 seasons and 213 games to intercept 56 career passes, ranking 18th all-time.

Despite being 5-foot-9 as a defensive back, Fischer made three Pro Bowl appearances and set an NFL record amongst cornerbacks with 16 fumble recoveries. Fischer has never been a Hall of Fame finalist.

On 7/2/2018 at 1:28 PM, RSkinGM said:

That little sucker would come and play the sweep too ..at 5'9" and maybe 175-180. Tough as nails ..but HOF ?

Hate to say it, but have to agree. Terrific overachiever but I can’t say worthy of HOF like a Jacoby or Jerry Smith does. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2018 at 1:00 PM, Doc Draper said:

Hate to say it, but have to agree. Terrific overachiever but I can’t say worthy of HOF like a Jacoby or Jerry Smith does. 

It’s the Senior Committee. Jacoby is still trying to get in to the regular Hall of Fame. Agreed on Jerry Smith too.

2 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

What? I'm confused. The "regular" HOF.  Is there another ?

It's the Senior Committee I understand but it's still the ONE and ONLY HOF --right? 

Yes, there’s only one HofF. This is just the Senior Committee.

I don’t know why Pat shouldn’t make the Senior Committee. He wasn’t Hall of Fame worthy - that’s true - but he’s worthy of being one of the best of the rest, which is basically what the Senior Committee is.

I’m just saying there’s a difference. So when you or Doc bring up Jacoby, well he’s still trying to get elected into the Hall of Fame, so he wouldn’t be eligible for the Senior Committee yet.

I do agree that Jerry Smith should get selected to the Senior Committee too.

4 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

I thought / think the Senior Committee is merely another door to get into the HOF. 

And yes, it's travesty that Joe Jacoby isn't in there .. 

It is and it isn’t. It’s not like the guys who get in only the Senior Committee get the same accolades or get displayed in the same area as others. It’s not the same. Like I said, these are guys who didn’t get in to the Hall of Fame because they were the best. It’s the next best, but not the very best.

I don’t know why you’re making this so complicated. It’s pretty straight forward.

How are Senior and Contributor Candidates Chosen?

To assure that older players, whose active careers have been completed at least 25 years, as well as those individuals who contributed to the game in ways other than playing and coaching will be considered along with the Modern-Era players and coaches, a Seniors Committee and a Contributors Committee, have been established. Each of these committees are made up of nine veteran members of the overall Selection Committee.

Like the full Committee, the members of the Seniors Committee and the Contributors Committee are provided a preliminary list of eligible nominees.  The list, which is compiled and mailed to the selectors, includes carry-over nominations from the previous year, first-time eligible candidates, and nominations from any outside source.

By way of a mail ballot, the Senior Committee members reduce the list to 15 Senior Nominee finalists.   The Contributors Committee reduces their list to 10 Contributor Nominee finalists. Five members of the nine-man Seniors Committee, selected on a rotating basis, are designated to attend the annual Seniors Committee meeting held in Canton, where they are charged with the responsibility of nominating candidate(s) from that list to be among the 18 finalists for Hall of Fame election.  The same procedure is followed by the Contributors Committee who also meet annually in Canton.

In advance of both meetings, each selector is provided with detailed biographical information on the candidates.

Seniors Committee members are assisted during their annual meeting by two Hall of Fame consultants, chosen by the Hall’s President, who were contemporaries of the majority of the nominees.  The consultants offer only their opinions and are not entitled to vote.  After each candidate is discussed thoroughly, the consultants are excused from the meeting.  Additional discussion is conducted followed by a series of reduction votes that results in the naming of the Senior Nominee(s).

Contributors Committee members are also assisted during their annual meeting by two consultants and follow the same guidelines as described above for the Seniors Committee consultants.

Although the Senior Nominee(s) and Contributor Nominee(s) will be presented to the full Selection Committee as finalists, their election to the Hall of Fame is not automatic.  The Senior Nominee(s) and Contributor Nominee(s) must receive the same minimum 80% of the vote as a Modern-Era candidate to be elected.

http://www.profootballhof.com/heroes-of-the-game/selection-process-faq/

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

I see nothing there to indicate these guys get into a "lesser" HOF.. In is in..it's one all inclusive HOF. ! I'm making it complicated ?? !! :P

I never said there was a lesser hall of fame. I said they don’t get the same recognition or accolades and they’re the best of the rest... aka the best of those who don’t get in the hall of fame on the first tries just after they’ve retired.

Archived