Was Jameis Winston’s talent overrated coming out of college?

patriotsheatyan

*insert QB prospect taken at no.1 overall here* was overrated.

Few QBs will ever live up to the expectations that come with that selection, even fewer will come close.

Winston is the worst QB in the NFC south but like they have some damn good QBs. 

No. He was a monster in college. He made NFL pocket throws that made you go "wow" and didn't have very many catastrophic wtf throws either. I hate(d) Jameis Winston with a passion, but he was a stud NFL prospect if you were able to overlook the crappy human being that he is/was.

My only real problem with him as a passer was that he held onto the football too long at times and wouldn't take the checkdowns early enough. That was about the only thing that I didn't like about him other than his horrid attitude.

I haven't watched a whole lot of him, but based on what I've heard and seen in other mediums, it strikes me as he doesn't have the overachiever work ethic (not that it's necessary a BAD work ethic) and that he isn't that bright. But who knows, he still has this year to show if we's worth something.

I watched most of his last college season. The games were basically Winston digging his team into a hole and then going into overdrive with FSU’s superior offense to get them out of it. It was pretty obvious to me he wouldn’t get away with that in the NFL. 

I don't believe it's so much a matter of him being overrated as it is the premium of the position. QBs are often taken very high for the simple reason that they're hard to come by. Jameis isn't blowing the NFL up, but he's sure not flunking out either.

26 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

His natural talent was never in doubt. His problems are all mental. 

This. When he has that type of talent, at that point it's on the organization to determine whether they think he'll mature mentally. It didn't work out but I don't fault the Bucs organization for rolling the dice.

Archived