Was Jameis Winston’s talent overrated coming out of college?

patriotsheatyan

My issue is not with him, but with the Bucs organization. They ask him to do too much. They had a shaky if not bad running game, oline, defense, and special teams. They let a very good coach go in Lovie Smith to promote Koetter whom hasnt proven to be even a decent head coach. The only thing Winston has to his favor is he has talented receivers and tight ends. That doesnt help when he is getting the tar beaten out of him because of bad blocking, poor playcalling, having to throw the ball 40+ times a game because of no running game and defense is giving up tons of points and the Bucs just have to be in shootouts often. 

Like we saw Goff go from a terrible situation in 2016 to a great situation in 2017. Look how different he was. I do like the Bucs getting Jones to help the running game and the Bucs did revamp their pass rush on defense. I want to see how Winston will do. He still has Koetter whom again hasnt proven to be a decent head coach. Off the field issues aside, this is a big year for Winston. The Bucs cant continue to spin their wheels. They need to take the next step and become a playoff caliber team because the NFC is only getting tougher. 

1 hour ago, patriotsheatyan said:

What is his talent? The noodle arm or the inaccurate passes?

...I'll give you the inaccurate passes, but noodle arm? You're joking, right? 

He was better than other QBs who have went number 1... but he wasn't the talent you envision as a number 1 pick.    Those types of talent aren't in every draft,  though.  He did have (and still does IMO)  have franchise QB potential,  but he was never an elite talent and never will be.  Even if he was,  he would be too stupid to ever reach those heights. 

4 hours ago, Elky said:

Jameis isn't even a bad NFL quarterback. 

Agreed, but he's certainly not a good one either....

He was a talented college player, but not worth the #1 overall pick IMO, but of course that wasn't a great QB class either. 

I know everyone's going to laugh at this, but had the Bucs just decided to continue to develop Glennon, I really don't think they'd be much worse off....

3 hours ago, frenchie said:

He was a talented college player, but not worth the #1 overall pick IMO, but of course that wasn't a great QB class either. 

I know everyone's going to laugh at this, but had the Bucs just decided to continue to develop Glennon, I really don't think they'd be much worse off....

Did you not see how horrible Glennon was last year?

TB exercised his fifth year option in April. Ride him out until then and, if he acts up again or plays poorly, move on.

15 minutes ago, frenchie said:

That was a really poor draft overall for talent.

50 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

I wonder if Winston would've went #1 instead of Clowney if Winston was allowed to come out after his first season.

I'd say he'd go #3 instead of Blake Bortles. Texans locked in on Clowney early, and (I think) had plans on Bridgewater at 33 or Garropolo at 64.

8 hours ago, Danger said:

I haven't watched a whole lot of him, but based on what I've heard and seen in other mediums, it strikes me as he doesn't have the overachiever work ethic (not that it's necessary a BAD work ethic) and that he isn't that bright. But who knows, he still has this year to show if we's worth something.

Yup. The sad part about that is those players tend not to rebound into something better down the line. 

1 hour ago, freak_of_nature said:

I wonder if Winston would've went #1 instead of Clowney if Winston was allowed to come out after his first season.

I'll say that Marcus Mariota would have went #1, however. I personally thought Mariota was the better QB of the two. (Still do, actually).

4 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

My issue is not with him, but with the Bucs organization. They ask him to do too much. They had a shaky if not bad running game, oline, defense, and special teams. They let a very good coach go in Lovie Smith to promote Koetter whom hasnt proven to be even a decent head coach. The only thing Winston has to his favor is he has talented receivers and tight ends. That doesnt help when he is getting the tar beaten out of him because of bad blocking, poor playcalling, having to throw the ball 40+ times a game because of no running game and defense is giving up tons of points and the Bucs just have to be in shootouts often. 

Like we saw Goff go from a terrible situation in 2016 to a great situation in 2017. Look how different he was. I do like the Bucs getting Jones to help the running game and the Bucs did revamp their pass rush on defense. I want to see how Winston will do. He still has Koetter whom again hasnt proven to be a decent head coach. Off the field issues aside, this is a big year for Winston. The Bucs cant continue to spin their wheels. They need to take the next step and become a playoff caliber team because the NFC is only getting tougher. 

Lovie really wasn’t that good of a coach. The game passed him by and his defence was outdated. It regressed during his time in Tampa, despite having good players at key positions to run a Tampa 2 (McCoy, David). 

The running game was decent in 2015 with Martin finishing the season second in rushing and Sims leading the league in yards per touch. Our oline faded down the stretch though and Smith couldn’t stop the defence regressing.

Our biggest problem on offence is the lack of a running game, which has forced us to become unbalanced. We struggled to run on a 6 man box last season because Koetter stayed committed to Martin, despite it being painfully obvious to everyone that he was done. With Barber in the game, the running game improved.

Pass pro has been decent the last few seasons, but a lack of running game makes it easy to play the pass. 

Koetter’s transition to HC hasn’t been completely smooth, but it was absolutely the right decision to bin Lovie and promote him. I think he’s more suited to being a coordinator, but he’s changed the staff up with Todd Monken taking more responsibility for the offence this season. We’ll see what difference that along with investment in the running game (Jones, Cappa, Jensen) brings to the balance on offence.

We built ourselves the wrong way by focusing on the pass game, rather than the running game. It’s a big year for Winston with what should be a much improved running game and a healthy throwing shoulder. Koetter also has something to prove.

12 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I'll say that Marcus Mariota would have went #1, however. I personally thought Mariota was the better QB of the two. (Still do, actually).

He was the safer bet because he had more experience in college.

Theres a much longer list of successful QBs who entered the league as RS juniors compared to those who entered the league as RS sophomores.

3 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

He was the safer bet because he had more experience in college.

Theres a much longer list of successful QBs who entered the league as RS juniors compared to those who entered the league as RS sophomores.

I liked his skillset overall - a real threat to run, very accurate in college (granted, in an RPO/spread offense).

Winston was more adept at playing under C and had a better overall arm than Mariota, but that wasn't enough for me to like Winston. 

Archived