Was Jameis Winston’s talent overrated coming out of college?

patriotsheatyan

18 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I liked his skillset overall - a real threat to run, very accurate in college (granted, in an RPO/spread offense).

Winston was more adept at playing under C and had a better overall arm than Mariota, but that wasn't enough for me to like Winston. 

Pretty much. 

I thought Winston had the higher ceiling and the lower floor of the two. He also came with an unpredictable development curve given he only played 2 seasons in college. It seems to be a standard expection for highly drafted QBs to become “the guy” by year two, without considering experience gained in college or the type of scheme they came from.

That said, I don’t think Winston is anywhere near as bad as is made out. He’s improved every season, even though we haven’t really helped him out with a running game. He tries too hard and trusts his arm too much at times, but other times he’ll put one through a tight window and youll understand why he has so much (too much IMO) belief in his arm.

I’m looking forward to seeing whether he can take the next step this season in a more balanced attack. 

8 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

That said, I don’t think Winston is anywhere near as bad as is made out. He’s improved every season, even though we haven’t really helped him out with a running game. He tries too hard and trusts his arm too much at times, but other times he’ll put one through a tight window and youll understand why he has so much (too much IMO) belief in his arm.

This, 100%. People are going off on him because he hasn't established himself as a top 5 QB (as well as projecting his off the field issues onto their view of his on field performance). He's not top 5, not top 10 either - but the guy is FAR from a bust at this point.

I think of Winston as who Jay Cutler was turning into in Denver - sure, he had some misses, but you could see the potential for him to put some pretty impressive numbers up with the right supporting cast and coaching. Or, Matt Stafford. Young Matt Stafford, early in his career when he was too dependant on throwing it up to Megatron...

On 7/2/2018 at 2:26 AM, BleedTheClock said:

No. He was a monster in college. He made NFL pocket throws that made you go "wow" and didn't have very many catastrophic wtf throws either. I hate(d) Jameis Winston with a passion, but he was a stud NFL prospect if you were able to overlook the crappy human being that he is/was.

My only real problem with him as a passer was that he held onto the football too long at times and wouldn't take the checkdowns early enough. That was about the only thing that I didn't like about him other than his horrid attitude.

This is about as accurate of a representation as you could make for Jameis. From a talent perspective, i have him higher than Mariota but Marcus never gave me that uneasy feeling about being the face of a franchise the way Jameis did. 

It’s not like Winston has been bad.  He’s only played 3 seasons and was noticeably hurt last year, to the point where I’m not sure why the Bucs were playing him. The problem is the good hasn’t been enough to outweigh the bad, which is something a lot of people suspected would be the case coming out of college early on. 

He will probably always lead the league in dumb plays. That is just who he is as a QB. But I think he’s shown enough to believe he’s capable of becoming a top ten QB in a couple of years, assuming he’s healthy. It would help a lot if he had a consistent run game behind him; having him sling it 25+ times every game isn’t a good strat.

Jameis had probably the best freshman season of all time at QB.  The things he and his team accomplished were extroadinary.    

However his 2nd season at FSU and his first 3 years in the NFL have been purely average.  

I believe he changed as a person for the worse after the rape accusation.  Before that he was playing probably as good as any QB ever, after that he started to show signs of him cracking under the pressure.

He was playing free and confident before, after he was trying to hard and it showed in his body language and his body.  He started to get fat after the accusation.

He only has himself to blame.  

I’ll be 100% brutally honest as a prospect, I did a lot of watching in Mariota and Winston in the field in 2014 season and watched their bowl games. From 2013 to 2014, winston Regressed a lot. From eye discipline, vision and accuracy, he was putrid. He threw too many picks and that’s transitioned to the nfl today. He was hesitant with the ball and held on to it too long at times. 

I know a few buc fans think Bc his ints we’re down in 2017, his decision making improved. He had the most dropped ints in the league and he missed 3 starts and was pulled after 1 Qtr in two games. That’s atrocious. 

21 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

This, 100%. People are going off on him because he hasn't established himself as a top 5 QB (as well as projecting his off the field issues onto their view of his on field performance). He's not top 5, not top 10 either - but the guy is FAR from a bust at this point.

I think of Winston as who Jay Cutler was turning into in Denver - sure, he had some misses, but you could see the potential for him to put some pretty impressive numbers up with the right supporting cast and coaching. Or, Matt Stafford. Young Matt Stafford, early in his career when he was too dependant on throwing it up to Megatron...

I have heard even a couple of reporters make this comparison of Winston and a Young Stafford.  Huge arm and takes to many risks with their security blanket Evans/Megatron.  

I get that he makes his mistakes but he has been trending upwards when it comes to accuracy and int's and showed at the end of last season when he was healthy to be playing better.  I'm more curious to see how he does with some form of a run game and another year with Djax.

Now if he can just get out of his own way mentally.

2 hours ago, mld said:

Jameis had probably the best freshman season of all time at QB.  The things he and his team accomplished were extroadinary.    

However his 2nd season at FSU and his first 3 years in the NFL have been purely average.  

I believe he changed as a person for the worse after the rape accusation.  Before that he was playing probably as good as any QB ever, after that he started to show signs of him cracking under the pressure.

He was playing free and confident before, after he was trying to hard and it showed in his body language and his body.  He started to get fat after the accusation.

He only has himself to blame.  

Interesting points. Perhaps the allegations shook his confidence. He definitely missed Benjamin in clutch situations his second season though.

Ive  seen other college QBs look average as their career went on; Jake Locker and Matt Barkley come to mind. I’m not sure if it was definitely the allegations, and not him as a person overall, that cause his carelessness with the football and life in general.

3 hours ago, REDandPEWTER said:

I’ll be 100% brutally honest as a prospect, I did a lot of watching in Mariota and Winston in the field in 2014 season and watched their bowl games. From 2013 to 2014, winston Regressed a lot. From eye discipline, vision and accuracy, he was putrid. He threw too many picks and that’s transitioned to the nfl today. He was hesitant with the ball and held on to it too long at times. 

I know a few buc fans think Bc his ints we’re down in 2017, his decision making improved. He had the most dropped ints in the league and he missed 3 starts and was pulled after 1 Qtr in two games. That’s atrocious. 

Yeah, I dont know what people are watching when they say Winston has gotten better every season....Because the harsh truth is that he absolutely has not improved like he should from years 1-3. Hes actually looked maybe worse from season to season since he started his first game at FSU.

7 hours ago, BAConrad said:

Yeah, I dont know what people are watching when they say Winston has gotten better every season....Because the harsh truth is that he absolutely has not improved like he should from years 1-3. Hes actually looked maybe worse from season to season since he started his first game at FSU.

They’re watching gamefilm.

How should he have improved from year 1-3? What’s the development trajectory for QBs entering the league as RS sophomores? Should it be the same as QBs entering the league as RS seniors?

5 hours ago, Buc Ball said:

They’re watching gamefilm.

How should he have improved from year 1-3? What’s the development trajectory for QBs entering the league as RS sophomores? Should it be the same as QBs entering the league as RS seniors?

Since were talking strictly on the field, he regressed as a sophomore in college big time. He was taken 1st overall due to his freshman year in college. 

Honestly he needed another year for GMs and Scouts to get a true evaluation. 

He has not progressed well on the field. 

Archived