Odell Beckham for Tyreek Hill straight up?

KC_Guy

It's slow season so I'll jump on this one. Obviously that suggestion came up as a brain fart by a guy or two somewhere and took off at AP ...

Interestingly:

About 90% of Chiefs fans would not do it: https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/6/29/17519568/would-you-trade-tyreek-hill-straight-up-for-odell-beckham-jr

Now the guys from New York checked out their fan base, and 80% wouldn't do it either: https://www.bigblueview.com/2018/7/2/17521448/odell-beckham-for-tyreek-hill-chiefs-fans-say-they-wouldnt-do-it#poll-results

Interesting ... home bias? Or are there some true arguments behind it?

For me it's mostly business aspects: Hill is still on his rookie deal - much cheaper than Beckham. Furthermore: He may be developed into a kind of home town guy like DJ or may be Zeus/LDT if handled appropriately - all his off-the-field-baggage put aside (yes, I know it's serious, but did anyone ever mention it over the season?)

Performance-wise you can build around both players with Beckham probably being the better overall player but for speed.

So - that's my thinking.

Your thoughts?

There will always be some home bias to things like this. To the point where even GMs have it, IMO. But beyond that, there's always a bit more safety in the player on the roster now than the possible acquisition. Maybe OBJ doesn't gel with Mahomes or doesn't get along with Reid. Maybe the Giants struggle schematically to take advantage of all that Hill does. But KC knows what Hill represents to them and New York knows what OBJ is for them, so retention is just safer from each sides perspective, in a hypothetical trade scenario.

As a Raider fan I'd rather have our CB's cover OBJ than Hill. Hill ALWAYS finds our DB's weaknesses. You can easily get into OBJ's head and have him shut himself down. Hill is an explosion about to happen at any moment on any play. OBJ is better but Hill is a better fit esp with a TE like Kelce over the middle and Watkins who IMO is a poor man's OBJ with an injury history. NYG's need OBJ's 'fire' to Eli's 'ice' (boring) personalities. Both should stay where they are but if I was the Giant's and offered 2 #1's for him I'd trade him because of contract and possible future drama...Eli's ice won't be around much longer. Barkley will/should be the face of the franchise.

Hill is fun to watch, but this isn’t really close.  I compare Hill to Desean Jackson.  Track speed that stretch defenses, but not a true #1 WR.  OBJ has that ability, plus impeccable route running, leaping ability, and the best hands we’ve seen.  He can beat you in more ways.

Hill really isn’t Desean or Odell.  His best comp is probably Steve Smith.

I don’t like the Desean comp, it happens a ton with Reid being our coach, but he’s more diverse than that and a lot harder to tackle.

He won’t ever have Odell’s hands or high pointing ability, but he’s more electric with the ball in his hands(yes Odell is still great at that)

Obviously Odell is the better player(he’s one of the best), but Tyreek has the potential to get up that high (not the same skill set though).  He’s putting in the work, can’t  wait to see what he looks like this year.

I can see it more than that. Jackson was also a burner and a PR guy. That's a lot of parallel talent.

Steve Smith is high praise for any WR. Jackson is more of a pure speed guy. As you point out, Hill is as good as Jackson ever was. He is nowhere near what Smith became.

J

Archived