World Cup Knockout Round 7/3 - Sweden vs Switzerland

drd23

Sweden (Group F 1) vs Switzerland (Group E 2) @ 14:00GMT (10am US EDT)

The second last game of the first knockout round sees Sweden, the unexpected champions of Group F, face the world number 6, Switzerland.

Sweden:

160px-Swedish_Football_Association_crest

Emil+Forsberg+Sweden+v+Netherlands+2018+

Sweden will be hoping that out of form play maker Emil Forsberg can finally fire and lead them to victory.  They will be missing Seb Larsson through injury, although he would have been suspended for this match anyway.

Switzerland:

swiss-football-team-png-switzerland-nati

451219238-700x420.jpg

One of the more controversial teams in the tournament thanks to a couple of goal celebrations, Switzerland will hope their team will let their play on the pitch do the talking.  Switzerland will be missing the right side of their ideal defense with both RB Stephan Lichtsteiner and CB Fabian Schar both suspended. 

Players who will miss their next game with another yellow card:

Sweden: Viktor Claesson, Albin Ekdal, Mikael Lustig
Switzerland: Valon Behrami, Denis Zakaria, Xherdan Shaqiri

Prediction:

This should be a close game.  I have no idea who will win, but if forced to decide I would guess Switzerland squeaks it out.

2 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Pragmatism vs pragmatism.

I think Switzerland have the greater attacking threat so I'll give them the edge.

I'm leaning the same way but Sweden have overcome adversity every step of the way. Other than the late loss to Germany they've done exactly what they did in qualifying. They defend exceedingly well and then score from counter attacks and set pieces.

2 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I gotta think Switzerland is the favorite here, but the teams aren't separated by a lot. Hopefully both teams go for the win and we have a decent game.

Yea, if the Swiss defense was intact I think they'd be clear favorites.  But with the suspensions, not really sure who wins this.

2 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Marcus Berg looks like he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, but his club record in recent years is great.

Almost scored then only to be foiled by a brilliant save by Sommer

Archived