35 members have voted

1. 1. Best recently hired B1G coach?

• Tom Allen, Indiana
    • Jeff Brohm, Purdue
    • D.J. Durkin, Maryland
    • P.J. Fleck, Minnesota
    • Scott Frost, Nebraska

11 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Right now its Jeff Brohm.  Its too early to say Frost because he hasnt coached a BIG 10 game yet.  It will eventually be him. 

So if Saban moved to the B1G, he wouldn't be the best coach? That makes no sense. 

9 hours ago, PAW said:

So if Saban moved to the B1G, he wouldn't be the best coach? That makes no sense. 

thats a dumb comparison because saban has P5 experience.  Frost is still an unknown.  Thats like saying Herman was the best big 12 HC before he coached a game at Texas.

14 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

thats a dumb comparison because saban has P5 experience.  Frost is still an unknown.  Thats like saying Herman was the best big 12 HC before he coached a game at Texas.

I wasn't giving a comparison.  I was pointing out how flawed your logic was that he can't be the best due to not having coached in the conference.  None of the coaches listed have proven anything in a P5 conference.

Indeed, putting Chryst on would have been a runaway (and Harbaugh too, who were both hired in 2015).

Even so, I would have added them regardless if I felt they were recent hires. Chryst/Harbaugh are tied as the 6th longest tenured B1G coaches, meaning they have coached at their school longer than the majority of coaches in the conference. I wanted to use coaches from just the past two years: 2017 and 2018. (I did accidentally put D.J. Durkin on the list, who was hired in 2016, a year earlier than I remembered.. but that's not seeming to have an effect on the poll.)

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at the options, it is Scott Frost all the way without any question.  Awesome man, great football coach and is pretty badass I must say.  Great hire and the obvious hire for Nebraska.  Would be shocking if they are not greatly improve this year as a football team.  Listen to the guy talk just for a minute, yeah college kids will follow him and respect him for a long time potentially in Lincoln.

On 7/4/2018 at 11:43 AM, Duluther said:

No love for P.J. Fleck?

˙ɯᴉɥ ɹoɟ ǝʇoʌ oS ¡ɥsᴉɹǝd llɐ llᴉʍ noʎ 'ʞɔǝlℲ ɹoɟ sǝʇoʌ ǝuo ou ɟI

I will say what I have said before.  PJ Fleck is a great man and moral leader but college football is not a moral summer camp.  Being a good man is great, but being a freaking tactician and fundamental coach is a little more important, especially as a head coach in college football.  Not sure PJ has the X and O chops to get it done, is rah rah but when things go bad he does not have much to fall back on and has oddly bad body language for a super positive guy when they are losing.  Is he a motivating coach, who knows, based on last year no because what the last two games they lost combined 70-0. 

Could argue if Zack Annexstad did not become a Gopher because he grew up in the state, those two lineman Dunlap and Faalele would have never come here, apparently Annexstad was a big reason in them even considering Minnesota.  Some of it sure was PJ but helps their high school QB and friend also is coming to Minnesota.   Will see maybe PJ will improve this year but last year was nothing great and most of "his" guys did not do much of anything on the field last year.  And two of the higher ranked recruits he has got while at Minnesota, Kendarian Handy-Holly and Victor Viramontes transferred already.  Viramontes doing so before the season even started and he was in this 2018 class!  It is odd, and I am not a huge fan of his coaching staff either.  Not hiring Jay Sawvel was odd to me, especially when they did coach on the same staff at Northern Illinois in 2008, the same staff with Jerry Kill and a majority of the coaching staff that was at Minnesota before Fleck came.  

Again will see, but jury is clearly still out on him, again great man but not sure he is a head coach type honestly.  His repetitive mantras get pretty damn annoying I must say, cannot imagine what the players think hearing that day after day.   If they do not show major improvement this up coming season that will tell a lot, maybe another Tim Brewster 2.0 but maybe not.  Brewster a guy who has still been in college football year after year coaching since 2012 , just not as a head coach.  Great to have a guy like that on a college team, super energetic, motivational, funny, great recruiter and likable....just not a head coach.  That describes PJ Fleck I feel, to Fleck's credit though he did gain actual head coaching success at Western Michigan and brought in a few pro prospects, strange thing is though what if Corey Davis was not on the team?  Would they have ever been that good?  Who knows, but I kind of doubt it, he was a great wide receiver for that team and ripped up the MAC conference and opened things up for the other offensive players.    

On 7/7/2018 at 9:29 AM, Duluther said:

Indeed, putting Chryst on would have been a runaway (and Harbaugh too, who were both hired in 2015).

Even so, I would have added them regardless if I felt they were recent hires. Chryst/Harbaugh are tied as the 6th longest tenured B1G coaches, meaning they have coached at their school longer than the majority of coaches in the conference. I wanted to use coaches from just the past two years: 2017 and 2018. (I did accidentally put D.J. Durkin on the list, who was hired in 2016, a year earlier than I remembered.. but that's not seeming to have an effect on the poll.)

Honestly even as a Michigan fan I wouldn't have voted for Harbaugh even if he was on the list. I love him as a coach but it's not like we've done anything special yet under him... Still can't beat osu. (Although I still do and always will say that wasn't a damned first down)

On 7/26/2018 at 6:29 PM, Ozzy said:

Looking at the options, it is Scott Frost all the way without any question.  Awesome man, great football coach and is pretty badass I must say.  Great hire and the obvious hire for Nebraska.  Would be shocking if they are not greatly improve this year as a football team.  Listen to the guy talk just for a minute, yeah college kids will follow him and respect him for a long time potentially in Lincoln.

GUYS LOOK WHO'S HERE

200.gif

@beekay414 @JammerHammer21 @Thelonebillsfan

This is gonna be a good season. This is going to be such a good season.

Archived