Why Is The NBA Offseason Viewed As More Fun Than The NFL Offseason?

the lone star

The NFL is supposed to be the #1 league here in the U.S., so shouldn't their off-season be more exciting? But the fact of the matter is that the NBA off-season is almost always more thrilling. So what is all of this about and why does it happen? Does this mean that the NBA is gaining ground on the NFL?

cause your team can go from awful to decent w/ one player acquisition in the nba. shorter contracts, more stars available every offseason. vert little stability in the nba, hardly any teams built organically. more trades. just not a static league like the nfl is. 

I think the NBA offseason is weird because the draft is before FA. Teams in the NBA go into the draft blind because they dont know if they are going to lose a key FA or dont know if they will miss out on signing a potential FA. I remember the Rockets one year drafted an international player just to keep him overseas and not have to sign him just because they thought they could get I believe Bosh. They didnt get Bosh because he decided to stay in Miami with Wade. 

The NFL is different because teams actually have a plan in FA and they dont go into the draft blind. I think in recent years though, the NFL offseason has been intriguing. Teams are starting to adopt the "if the franchise QB is on his rookie deal, lets go all out" approach. The Seahawks did it years ago, the Eagles did it last year, and the Rams did it this year. The Bears and Chiefs are putting weapons around their young QB's well. It will continue imo which will make the NFL offseason more intriguing.

At the end of the day, no matter how all this LeBron talk has been this offseason, the NFL offseason has been alot more exciting this year. All the trades that happened, in particular with the Rams, the Cousins saga, and then the draft with the 1st round QBs. Plus there was the OBJ saga which alone was big. Had the Rams didnt get scared off by what they found when they did research on OBJ, maybe they pull the trigger in a blockbuster trade to bring OBJ to LA and that would be just as big as LeBron coming to LA.

1 hour ago, the lone star said:

The NFL is supposed to be the #1 league here in the U.S., so shouldn't their off-season be more exciting? But the fact of the matter is that the NBA off-season is almost always more thrilling. So what is all of this about and why does it happen? Does this mean that the NBA is gaining ground on the NFL?

Because the very best players are normally a threat to leave their team.  Think about this off-season - LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Kawhi Leonard, etc.  We'll have this same discussion again next year with Durant, Leonard and many others.  You just don't see this in the NFL.  I guess the equilvalent would be if Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Antonio Brown and Aaron Donald were entering free agency or demanding a trade.

2 hours ago, showtime said:

Because the very best players are normally a threat to leave their team.  Think about this off-season - LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Kawhi Leonard, etc.  We'll have this same discussion again next year with Durant, Leonard and many others.  You just don't see this in the NFL.  I guess the equilvalent would be if Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Antonio Brown and Aaron Donald were entering free agency or demanding a trade.

Yeah, and you could list a whole bunch of other players for the NFL, but they're usually locked up, and if they switch teams, they usually don't perform as well as they had before.

6 hours ago, jfinley88 said:

cause your team can go from awful to decent w/ one player acquisition in the nba. shorter contracts, more stars available every offseason. vert little stability in the nba, hardly any teams built organically. more trades. just not a static league like the nfl is. 

Which is interesting, because any NFL team can win a championship in any season. The NBA nope. Even if you team upgrades to a decent level, it's usually down to 4 teams to win a championship. Which people already know before the season starts. 

I think the NFL could be more exciting if they expanded rosters a little bit and increased the size of active rosters too. That way some vets could have longer careers, which would allow for some interesting storylines.

But I still don't think it'd be more exciting than the NBA.

Archived