Why Is The NBA Offseason Viewed As More Fun Than The NFL Offseason?

the lone star

As stated, there is more player movement and the outlook of a team could change with just one transaction. Not usually the case in the NFL. If you get a top notch FA, your team may end up being worse the following season. In the NBA, you get a top level FA, you go from a bad team to a playoff team, and possibly a decent contender to one of the favorites. 

And simply they have a shorter offseason which helps. There are so many dead period for the NFL. With the NBA, the draft and free agency will keep you interested until July, and then for two in a half weeks you got the summer league. Then you just have to wait like a month in a half until preseason starts up.

1. One player can make a bigger impact in the NBA.

2. More teams tank or are fine losing in NBA, meaning they are more willing to move players who do not fit there timeline.

3. Lack of franchise tag allows good players to actually hit FA if they want (supermax may stop this somewhat in the future).

4. At the end of the day, it is a star driven league and teams will take big risks to try to get a star. 

On 7/10/2018 at 2:27 PM, J-ALL-DAY said:

As stated, there is more player movement and the outlook of a team could change with just one transaction. Not usually the case in the NFL. If you get a top notch FA, your team may end up being worse the following season. In the NBA, you get a top level FA, you go from a bad team to a playoff team, and possibly a decent contender to one of the favorites. 

And simply they have a shorter offseason which helps. There are so many dead period for the NFL. With the NBA, the draft and free agency will keep you interested until July, and then for two in a half weeks you got the summer league. Then you just have to wait like a month in a half until preseason starts up.

But there is the thing called fantasy football. The NFL offseason is fun because people pay more attention to fantasy football than fantasy basketball. So while I agree about dead period, almost any transaction is interesting in the NFL. Can’t say th same about the NBA. 

13 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

But there is the thing called fantasy football. The NFL offseason is fun because people pay more attention to fantasy football than fantasy basketball. So while I agree about dead period, almost any transaction is interesting in the NFL. Can’t say th same about the NBA. 

What about fantasy football? Most fantasy football drafts happen just a few weeks before the season starts during preseason. That isn't the dead period I am referring to. Not sure how fantasy football is relevant here tbh.

8 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

What about fantasy football? Most fantasy football drafts happen just a few weeks before the season starts during preseason. That isn't the dead period I am referring to. Not sure how fantasy football is relevant here tbh.

Fantasy football drafts happen at any time during the offseason. I know that you are talking about when most drafts normally take place though. But why is fantasy football relevant to the offseason? It’s because the difference between Melo signing with let’s say Houston and Dez signing with Green Bay. The media will talk about both BUT Dez will get the most talk not just because of him going to Green Bay to help ARod, but his fantasy value will be talked about. That makes the NFL offseason more interesting. Same thing could be said the second DeMarco Murray signs somewhere or even Adrian Peterson. 

So you have been thinking of fantasy football since the draft? You think of fantasy football I guess on free agent moves and during the draft, but after that when has any move been made that has made you think of fantasy football? Really random argument lol.

1 player can make a huge impact in the NBA. Its not really that way in the NFL. How often in the NFL does one move shake up the league, not very often. The NFL draft however is still a much bigger deal than the NBA draft because of the same reason. NFL teams need 40 good players, so draft picks are expected to perform. in the NBA, you dont expect much unless someone goes in the lotto. 

12 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So you have been thinking of fantasy football since the draft? You think of fantasy football I guess on free agent moves and during the draft, but after that when has any move been made that has made you think of fantasy football? Really random argument lol.

I’ve been thinking about fantasy football before and after the draft lol. It’s not just about moves though. Like Melo hasn’t been bought out yet or signed with a new team. Dez has been on the market now for months. There has been more talk about Dez potential landing spots than Melo and the second Dez signs it will be a bigger deal than when Melo signs. The NBA offseason is really centered around a handful of players and a handful of teams.

If LeBron widened his choices to more than just Philly and LA then things would be more interesting. If KD didn’t take less money to stay in GS but looked at his home town in Washington to pair with Wall and Beal that would be interesting. We see that in the NFL.

Players in the NFL take chances and follow the money. The Jags brought in big name free agents when they were terrible. Now they are a force in the AFC. The Rams brought in a guy in Whitworth last offseason. He could’ve easily chose to go to contender at his age, because at this time last year the Rams were looked at as a rebuilding team. He chose the Rams and help make them a force in the NFC.

We don’t see that in the NBA. No way LeBron chooses Sacramento thinking I’m going to get paid and help Fox and Bagley and they can attract more free agents so they can be a force. In the NBA is more about brand. In the NBA its like college basketball. If you aren’t Duke, Kentucky, or those other big name schools you are getting the 5 star prospects yearly. If you aren’t GS, LA, NY, Miami, or have at least one star you aren’t getting someone like LeBron or Kyrie or KD. But in the NFL if Bell hits the market next offseason I grant you he won’t shy away from going to team that can pay him what he feels like he deserve, a team that he feels like he will fit in well and his confidence in the front office/coaching staff. Even if that team isn’t as successful. He will be confident with him on board he can make that team successful. That’s why the NFL offseason is exciting because it’s unpredictable in a good way.

This offseason in the NBA was so boring outside of Cousins randomly choosing GS. We knew LeBron would choose either most likely chose LA. We knew George would choose LA or OKC. Like where is the suspense? No major trades happened to was shocking. I can tell you a ton of trades happened this offseason in the NFL that was shocking. Next year should be in interesting in the NBA because more teams will have cap space and more big name players will be on the market but it wouldn’t shock me if it’s the same approach by the players.

On 7/12/2018 at 1:53 AM, stl4life07 said:

Fantasy football drafts happen at any time during the offseason. I know that you are talking about when most drafts normally take place though. But why is fantasy football relevant to the offseason? It’s because the difference between Melo signing with let’s say Houston and Dez signing with Green Bay. The media will talk about both BUT Dez will get the most talk not just because of him going to Green Bay to help ARod, but his fantasy value will be talked about. That makes the NFL offseason more interesting. Same thing could be said the second DeMarco Murray signs somewhere or even Adrian Peterson. 

if are drafting your fantasy football teams before week3 of the preseason, you are doing it wrong, unless you are doing a destination draft.

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

if are drafting your fantasy football teams before week3 of the preseason, you are doing it wrong, unless you are doing a destination draft.

Most of my leagues are keeper and dynasty. I have I believe two redraft leagues and one I drafted BEFORE the schedule release and the NFL Draft. Trust me I didn’t want to do it but since I was already in the league when they decided I was like what the heck I might as well just do it lol. But I do agree, drafts should normally take place Week 3 of the preseason for redraft leagues.

Speaking of Summer league, that's something the NHL and NFL need. 

Well speaking of the NHL, they probably need to move to the summer so that they can build up their fanbase again. I know that it's played on ice, but hey, it's about the temperature and climate indoors and not outdoors (that much).

Archived