Training Camp Surprise(s)?

bucsfan333

Who do you think surprises the most in training camp? We've got quite a few spots that are up for grabs; RB depth, WR depth, safety depth, LB depth, KR/PR, RG, CB depth, special teams gunners. Even NT is open with Beau Allen and Vea fighting for starting reps.

Who do you think stands out enough to earn a roster spot? Are there any surprise starters?

I think guys who will be more of a surprise are the ones that were late round picks or UDFAs just because of that alone. With that said I could see and hope these guys are standouts.

Shaun Wilson

Jordan Whitehead

Carlton Davis (locking down a starting spot based on merit not need)

Caleb Benenoch 

Bobo Wilson

Justin Watson

Separate thought on a surprise. And no I do not want to take over this thread with a ton of Jameis suspension talk (yes this is directed toward you R&P). 

Tampa trades a late round pick for Teddy Bridgewater. Jameis now has legit backup competition and our team has some sort of insurance policy if Jameis at the very least doesn’t play well when he comes back from suspension. Seems like Teddy has looked real good in underwear football and McCown is clearly the bridge QB and Darnald is the Jets future..

That would be a heck of a surprise imo but a smart thing to do for many reasons.

42 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Separate thought on a surprise. And no I do not want to take over this thread with a ton of Jameis suspension talk (yes this is directed toward you R&P). 

Tampa trades a late round pick for Teddy Bridgewater. Jameis now has legit backup competition and our team has some sort of insurance policy if Jameis at the very least doesn’t play well when he comes back from suspension. Seems like Teddy has looked real good in underwear football and McCown is clearly the bridge QB and Darnald is the Jets future..

That would be a heck of a surprise imo but a smart thing to do for many reasons.

That's a move to think about. Haven't looked but the Jets must have tons of cap. Not sure they would let Teddy go to save $6M this year. 

9 minutes ago, deuces22wild said:

That's a move to think about. Haven't looked but the Jets must have tons of cap. Not sure they would let Teddy go to save $6M this year. 

From the $6M argument it makes little sense for the Jets, completely agree. I just look and see McCown and Darnold there and see a crowded QB room. Teddy was signed when getting Darnold was a pipe dream. Now that things have fallen in the Jets favor, I think he’s expendable. I don’t think he’ll be flat out released, but someone will give up a late round pick for him imo.

2 hours ago, ravishingone said:

I think Shaun Wilson makes the team and my extra bold prediction is Cole Gardner is the starting RT at the start of the '19 season latest.  What can I say I m an optimist.  ?

Wilson is my pick too. I think he shines as a returner and eventually earns RB reps. With Koetter coaching for his job, he can't continue the blind loyalty to guys like Quizz and Sims if Wilson looks like the better back. Right?

3 hours ago, Lil' Shorty said:

A move for Teddy would have to be done right now to build chemistry with the receivers and learn the playbook. 

Talking to a few friends who are jets fans, Bowles seat isn’t cold at all so if darnold isn’t ready, bridgewater might be their best option. 

13 hours ago, Pickle Rick said:

I have not paid that much attention but isn't RB depth a huge need.  They need to do something to help out the offense there right?

Peyton Barber is expected to start with Rojo getting snaps... Hopefully. We've also got Quizz and Sims. Sims is expected to be the third down back. Quizz is our do-it-all back and returns kicks.

Then there's UDFA rookie Shaun Wilson who has turned heads. He's been returning kicks and looks like a good receiver out of the backfield. He's got a chance to beat out one of Quizz or Sims. But it'll be an uphill battle with Koetter's love for pass blocking. He might get stolen if he goes to the practice squad.

Archived