Training Camp Surprise(s)?

bucsfan333

22 hours ago, REDandPEWTER said:

Lol look at his first two seasons and got them to the divisional round in January. 

Their defense and rushing game did. Coupled by the fact their division was garbage dumpster juice. Mariota was terrible last year flat out. Worst season as a pro in his third year. When he should be ascending... Winston actually improved though. 

6 hours ago, indifference said:

Their defense and rushing game did. Coupled by the fact their division was garbage dumpster juice. Mariota was terrible last year flat out. Worst season as a pro in his third year. When he should be ascending... Winston actually improved though. 

Take Mariota and winston and swap the movie out over the last three years. Any qb would love the weapons winston has. 

44 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

Take Mariota and winston and swap the movie out over the last three years. Any qb would love the weapons winston has. 

I think I would rather have a good OL than “weapons”. Especially playing in the NFC South.

17 minutes ago, indifference said:

I think I would rather have a good OL than “weapons”. Especially playing in the NFC South.

I dont think it is a coincidence that every team in the top 10 in total rushing yards except Dallas made the playoffs. I agree control the LOS equals winning.  Last 3 years for the Bucs in this category 5th, 24th, and 27th.  Mankins may have been past his prime, but it sure looks like this offense hasn't replaced him yet.

2 hours ago, ravishingone said:

I dont think it is a coincidence that every team in the top 10 in total rushing yards except Dallas made the playoffs. I agree control the LOS equals winning.  Last 3 years for the Bucs in this category 5th, 24th, and 27th.  Mankins may have been past his prime, but it sure looks like this offense hasn't replaced him yet.

Are those teams winning because they're running or are they running because they're winning?

Most advanced metrics point to passing the ball being more conducive to scoring points. Some even show running the ball as losing points.

8 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Are those teams winning because they're running or are they running because they're winning?

Most advanced metrics point to passing the ball being more conducive to scoring points. Some even show running the ball as losing points.

Stats can be twisted in many different ways.  I m not going to state that running the ball can lose points.  I just cant go there.  Let s be honest both guard spots were below average last season.  I don t think that can be argued.  Hard to win the LOS when the A and B gaps aren't secured.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/07/2018 at 1:52 AM, bucsfan333 said:

I don’t really buy into all of these metrics. You don’t necessarily run the ball to score points. You do it to control the clock, get your defence a break and to manipulate the defence into adjusting to stop the run. 

If you have a successful running game, you force the defence into 7/8 man boxes, can control the clock and field position, and you can open up the passing game.

We've not been able to consistently run the ball for years, which has allowed teams to play pass defence against us and make passing that much more difficult. 

Have as many weapons as you like, but any team would find it difficult to have consistent success in the passing game without at least the threat of the running game.

36 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

I don’t really buy into all of these metrics. You don’t necessarily run the ball to score points. You do it to control the clock, get your defence a break and to manipulate the defence into adjusting to stop the run. 

If you have a successful running game, you force the defence into 7/8 man boxes, can control the clock and field position, and you can open up the passing game.

We've not been able to consistently run the ball for years, which has allowed teams to play pass defence against us and make passing that much more difficult. 

Have as many weapons as you like, but any team would find it difficult to have consistent success in the passing game without at least the threat of the running game.

Being able to run the ball successfully doesn't necessarily mean 120+ yards per game or 4.5+ ypc. It just means you're efficient.

"Efficient" means five or more yards on first down, half the distance needed on second down, and converting third/fourth down. It's all about successful plays that set you up for the next play.

If you're getting two or three yards on first down (like we have the last few years), you're screwed on second and long. Which potentially makes third down much harder. Same for only getting a yard or two on second and making third down more difficult.

It's all based on percentages. Which is what Koetter uses in his playbook. At least in terms of scoring and moving the ball. Our situational playcalling has been lacking. Especially in the redzone.

Being able to run the ball more efficiently would definitely help in the redzone. Which is our biggest problem. But I think most of our redzone problems are playcalling. It's hard to go vertical when the field is compressed to 30 yards or less. And we don't seem to adjust enough. We're still throwing seam passes and fades. The field is 53 yards wide and we don't use it all.

Being able to pound out five yard runs would help tremendously. I think we all saw that two yards was our longest TD run last year. But drag routes and slants/outs would help just as much, in my opinion.

Long drives are hard to score on. Every play gives the defense a chance to force a turnover or negative play. That's why we run such a vertical offense. It's just a higher risk/reward. And the odds say that a more vertical offense scores more points. But we HAVE to adjust when we can't go vertical anymore. Which is where playcalling and a more efficient running game comes into play.

So, yes. I'd love to be able to play some Dallas offense from time to time. It takes all the pressure off the QB and minimizes the chance for turnovers. But to catch up with the rest of the league, we only need to be able to run more efficiently in key situations to move the ball and score.

Archived