D line preview

Kiwibrown

D Line  

32 members have voted

1. 1. How are you feeling about this group?

• Could be a top unit in the NFL
    • Good, they are strong unit
    • Unsure, they have some question marks
    • I think they will be below average
    • Terrible unit
  2. 2. Assuming Garrett and Ogbah play to their potential who is the 3rd best DE?

3. 3. Coley vs Brantley; who plays more snaps in 2018?

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/7/1/17522704/cleveland-browns-training-camp-2018-dl-preview-part-1

DBN is doing positional preview series, I thought I would make some thread paralleling them. This one is the  Dline. Personally I love this group. I think we have 4 guys that are of good to high quality in the NFL, Garret, Ogbah, Ogunjobi and Brantley. I think Ogunjobi and Garrett have all pro potential in the future. I think ogunjobi locks down one spot in the Dline as the starter and I think their is a two battle to start beside him between Coley and Brantley. 

This DL should be very good, but I still think we need another speed rushing DE and another interior stud before we can call ourselves a top 5 DL. I fully expect Ogbah and Garrett to ball out, along with Ogunjobi. But you need at least 5-6 great DL. We have 3 and then kind of a mess. Luckily a lot of those "messy" players we have are loaded with potential and have youth on their side. I have hopes that Nassib, Brantley, Coley, and even Marcel Frazier can become excellent NFL players for us.

Oh, and Chad Thomas will be awesome to have on 3rd downs as an interior stunting DT. He'll never be a full-time starter IMO, but he's somebody that can really move and stunt. Gregg Williams is going to love using him on pressures. He'll be very effective, but used sparingly.

2 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/7/1/17522704/cleveland-browns-training-camp-2018-dl-preview-part-1

DBN is doing positional preview series, I thought I would make some thread paralleling them. This one is the  Dline. Personally I love this group. I think we have 4 guys that are of good to high quality in the NFL, Garret, Ogbah, Ogunjobi and Brantley. I think Ogunjobi and Garrett have all pro potential in the future. I think ogunjobi locks down one spot in the Dline as the starter and I think their is a two battle to start beside him between Coley and Brantley. 

You said ogunjobi (along with Myles) has all pro potential, and I could not agree more. He wasn't given much opportunities last year, but when he was in the # of "splash" plays he made really impressed me. His quickness to shoot the gap between the c and g was obvious. Add in a much improved secondary and Larry is set to have an amazing sophomore season. 

I love having the young kids and the potential they bring to the roster. Three years down the road, we may be talking about Chad Thomas as a monster player.

Some of the numbers seem stacked against him, but I don't want to give up on Carl Nassib. I think as an individual player, he may be lacking as a defensive cornerstone. But in this defense with all the talent around him, he can be a highly effective situation rusher. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts theory.

Especially if Myles, Ogbah, and Larry O play up to potential.

The third NFL season is generally where the light will come on and stay on if it is going to. That is where Carl is. I just despise the thought of giving up on 6'7" with wheels, and led the nation in sacks his senior season at Penn State.

I said very good 

I agree I’d like to develop a pure pass rusher we could draft in like the 3rd a Danielle Hunter from Minnesota for example 

then of course like everyone else I want a stud in 2019 

Oliver, Lawrence, Wilkins or any of the other top guys 

3 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

I love having the young kids and the potential they bring to the roster. Three years down the road, we may be talking about Chad Thomas as a monster player.

Some of the numbers seem stacked against him, but I don't want to give up on Carl Nassib. I think as an individual player, he may be lacking as a defensive cornerstone. But in this defense with all the talent around him, he can be a highly effective situation rusher. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts theory.

Especially if Myles, Ogbah, and Larry O play up to potential.

The third NFL season is generally where the light will come on and stay on if it is going to. That is where Carl is. I just despise the thought of giving up on 6'7" with wheels, and led the nation in sacks his senior season at Penn State.

Plus if we cut him - I gare-ron-tee it he will resurface in the 412. Ugh.

Carl Nassib and another player I am standing on the table for, that most folks are I feel are not taking a real look at...

Caleb Brantley in 2017 I would have ranked 1 pure DT ahead of him in that draft class IMO (Malik McDowell...and he was a DT/DE type of player coming out also)...or course Jonothan Allen was in that draft but at 6'3 284lbs, that's not a Pure DT to me.....tweener of a 3-Tech mixed with a 5-Tech. I felt like he was a 1rst round pick talent wise.....every service that I look at every year had him rated as a Mid/Late first rounder- very high 2nd rounder. I feel this kid is going to take over the 3-tech this year and run it like pimp runs a stable of whore's....

33 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

Carl Nassib and another player I am standing on the table for, that most folks are I feel are not taking a real look at...

Caleb Brantley in 2017 I would have ranked 1 pure DT ahead of him in that draft class IMO (Malik McDowell...and he was a DT/DE type of player coming out also)...or course Jonothan Allen was in that draft but at 6'3 284lbs, that's not a Pure DT to me.....tweener of a 3-Tech mixed with a 5-Tech. I felt like he was a 1rst round pick talent wise.....every service that I look at every year had him rated as a Mid/Late first rounder- very high 2nd rounder. I feel this kid is going to take over the 3-tech this year and run it like pimp runs a stable of whore's....

You just wanted to say this ?.

I think Marcel Frazier is a wild-card as the 3rd DE. I loved his potential out of Missouri and was shocked that he went undrafted. He's supremely talented but allegedly had some work ethic issues and didn't really flash anything against the run game. The run game thing is something that appears to be built into Missouri's defensive scheme though, as they've been running their DE's up the field and getting them in pass rush mode every down for years now. I think Frazier has a better chance of making the team than Orchard does.

Chris Smith is JAG. He's good enough to be on an NFL roster, but not good enough to play major minutes IMO.

Carl Nassib is still a project even though he's been in the league for a while. He's a better player than people give him credit for, but he wasn't ready for big minutes last season. His body was still developing. Hopefully this is the year he added the muscle to his frame that he so desperately needed, but I thought he would be more of a 3+ year project.

13 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

Caleb Brantley in 2017 I would have ranked 1 pure DT ahead of him in that draft class IMO

Agreed. I loved him. He was very inconsistent and appeared to be out of shape at Florida, but when he was on, he was unblockable. He was weird to me. Some plays he was absolutely freaking relentless with his effort and then the next he would just kind of watch. I hope it was more of a conditioning issue than it is a want-to thing, because he looked unreal when he wanted it. Splitting double teams, rushing the passer, using his hands, and running to the football were all things he did very well. He has a variety of interior pass rush moves and knows how to set each of them up based on the pass set of the OL he's facing. Very intelligent player when it comes to having a pass rush plan. I had him ranked as the 19th best player in the 2017 draft class.

Archived