World Cup Quarter Final 2 - Belgium vs Brazil (Friday 6th July)

drd23

Belgium vs Brazil 18:00GMT (2pm US EDT) July 6 @ Kazan

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

Quarterfinal 2 sees a match up between two of the best nations in the world (ranked #3 and #2 respectively by FIFA) featuring two players that have arguably been the best player not named Messi or Ronaldo in the last few years.

Belgium survived a scare in their last game to beat Japan 3-2 with what was effectively the last kick of the game, while Brazil completed a fairly safe 2-0 victory over Mexico to knock them out at the Round of 16 for the seventh consecutive time.

Marcelo is expected to return to his usual LB position for Brazil, and there is some speculation that Danilo may return at RB too.  Roberto Firmino may get a starting berth over Gabriel Jesus, who has struggled to be effective so far in this World Cup.

It is possible that Dries Mertens will be dropped to the bench for this game, which would allow Kevin De Bruyne to play in a more advanced position that he is used to and allow a more defensively sound midfielder such as Moussa Dembele or Maraoune Fellaini to slot in in front of the defense 

• Casemiro is suspended for Brazil due to an accumulation of bookings.
  • Philippe Coutinho, Neymar and Filipe Luis are all one booking away from a one-match ban.
  • Thomas Meunier, Jan Vertonghen, Youri Tielemans, Leander Dendoncker and Kevin De Bruyne are one booking away from a one-match ban

Prediction

Brazil 2-1, although I'd love to see Belgium win just so that we'd be rid of Neymar's diving antics as soon as possible

Considering the huge difference in manager quality, I am going with Brazil.  If Belgium had a competent manager, I think they would win as their roster is better.  Don't see 3 in the back working vs this Brazil team.  Martinez doesn't have de Bruyne in a position where he makes a big enough impact.  My only concern for Brazil is at striker.  Firmino needs to be the starter.  If he starts up top, I see Brazil going all the way.  They are so much better with him in over Jesus.

10 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Eh, I don't think he's worse than Hierro, let alone whoever the manager was for Poland

Hierro had about 10 minutes notice so it's a bit harsh.

The Polish manager was pretty dreadful, as was Sampoli.

Two changes each - Fellaini and Chadli in for Carrasco and Mertens on the Belgian side, and Marcelo and Fernandinho in for Filipe Luis and the suspended Casemiro on the Brazilian

Gabriel Jesus keeps his place over Bobby Firmino

Archived